“"I don't understand the reviews"” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night
derwood, md
“"I don't understand the reviews"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I've had many take-out meals from this restaurant over many years and have always been amazed by the dozens and dozens and dozens of cars of customers in the restaurants parking lot who eat here. This has got to be one of the most popular restaurants in the local chinese community. We have always felt the food to be good, and cannot understand the negative ratings on this website. Many hundreds of customers that come here daily can't be all wrong! This makes me question the motives of the negative ratings........

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Burlington, Vermont
“Good Price, Great Dim Sum in a DC Suburb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Whenever I visit my mother in Bethesda, MD, we go for a lunch meal of freshly made Dim Sum at
the New Fortune Chinese Seafood Restaurant in Gaithersburg, MD. My parents (father is recently deceased) have the following standby dishes that they love: "Shark's Fin" dumpling, Shrimp dumpling, Shumai (pork dumpling), and Shrimp with Taro Root. It's important to go when there are lots of people eating there so the food is fresh and piping hot. The restaurant seats 350 or so, and at lunch time, we've never had to wait for a table; however, there are never many free tables. While Chinese is the primary language for both the wait staff and trolley cart staff (who bring out different dishes on rolling carts) as well as the guests eating there, there is always someone who speaks English. As you choose a dish, the staff just marks it down on your running tab at the table. And for those who don't use chopsticks, they'll be happy to supply you with a fork and knife.

Whenever I visit my DC family every three months or so, I look forward to eating at New Fortune!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh, PA
“Full Chinese menu selection & delicious food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Plaza location is easy walking distance from the Hyatt House hotel. Take-out required only a short wait.

Visited May 2013
Frederick, MD
“We love it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

Kind of scared because of the mixed reviews but my boyfriend and I loved it and we are going back again. We went on a Saturday for the cart service and were so impressed. Food was hot and fresh and cheap. Would recommend to anyone. The only reason it gets four stars is because my only complaint is that we did not get our drinks until we were already eating. Other than that, everything was great.

Gaithersburg, Maryland
“HORRIBLE THIS HORRIBLE THAT, HORRIBLE EVERYTHING”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

WORST RESTAURANT IN THE WHOLE WORLD. DO NOT EAT THERE.

Yes, I must admit some of the food was good, but NOT all.
A lot of the food seemed like it was yesterdays left overs, and just reheated. EWWWW!! and there were flies.
When you enter the restaurant it smells horrid. like dead fish and used oil for frying. and it was a mess there. Boxes and trash every where.
The service is the WORST!
They ate lunch right in front of the costumers.
And it seems like they were looking at you and talking about you in Chinese or something.

OH and it was slow, we asked for a napkin and take out box, and all the servers were busy eating their lunch!!!
and so we just helped out selves to the open cart, and no one seemed to care!

AND it was EXPENSIVE for LOW QUALITY and QUANTITY food. And it was very oily.
I will NEVER eat there again.

YES, i can say im a high maintenance person, but even those who aren't wouldn't want to eat their sloppy food, and be welcomed rude service.

And they got the bill wrong, so we waited for like 30 min for them to do the math BY HAND?!?!?!?!? SERIOUSLY!

• Visited September 2012