“Great Mexican Food @ An Even Better Price, Truly a Hidden Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 279 Restaurants in Gaithersburg
Cuisines: Mexican
Potomac, Maryland, USA
“Great Mexican Food @ An Even Better Price, Truly a Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I've always driven past the Taco Bar filling up for gas or getting an oil change at the lube center but never was willing to try it. I mean come on it's part of a gas station, how good could it be....
Boy was I wrong, my wife's co-worker had been raving about the Taco Bar says she goes there every morning before work and the food is spectacular. So I tried it out with my wife Sat afternoon and it's a small place, but as soon as I walked in I saw one of the cooks cutting some meat which looked a like a giant piece of pork, but it looked fresh and it was definitely not something out of a can or frozen.

The menu is a good size, burritos, tacos, empandas, the works. Plus the price for a burrito cant be beat, under $4 bucks for a chorizo burrito with rice and beans, plus a fixings bar where you can add all the fresh homemade salsa, jalepenos, pickled onions, etc to heart's content.

The food itself was delicious, since my trip I've gone several times and for the price of one Chipotle burrito I can get 2 at the Taco bar and it tastes better. Highly recommend this place to anyone looking for great cheap eats for authentic Mexican food.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Fresh and cheap. One taco will fill you up!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I love this place! We are regulars at the Taco Bar. It's not fancy at all...there's always a line to place your order at the counter because it's always busy and it's that good. There's at least 6 people working in the very spotless viewable kitchen and limited seating at a couple small tables next to the wine racks. So order your tacos to go, or opt for some outdoor seating when the weather cooperates. The Taco bar is my favorite place to stop for an authentic street style taco- which means no cheese and no sour cream. It's a cheap, somewhat healthy fast food option. Each taco costs under $3 and is which ever style meat you choose - chicken, suadero, bistec, lengua, or pastor and comes with 2 soft corn tortillas. My favorite is suadero, my daughter swears by the chicken. This taco is LOADED with meat. YOU can add your choice of condiments from the fixings bar. They have fresh cilantro, limes, pico de gallo, jalapeno's, pickled red onions and 4 kinds of salsa. Load up on all the fresh goodies and you have a tasty meal for under $3! The refried beans are wonderful too.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“"Hidden Gem" I'm still trying to appreciate”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

I had seen this place oddly located within a gas station many times and I was always surprised at how many people I would see eating outside during the warm weather months. I figured I needed to give this place a try. I got the taco combo with steak. I got excited every time I saw another customers order come out because everything looked amazing. Sadly, the steak tacos are not amazing. It's basically steak in a corn tortilla with nothing else on it. Everything else I saw had queso fresco and pico... mine looked rather sad and I was incredibly sad when I had to take it home and put my own sour cream and cheese on it. The beans were excellent though.

Next time I go (and I'm sure there will be a next time. i must rectify this) I will ask for their most popular entree as long as it's not the beef tongue.

Visited May 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Best food in DC Metro?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

OK - so you've read the other reviews and you know it's tucked next to a gas station and car wash. So you will see local workmen stream in and out and wonder why it has such a faithful clientele. The owner takes his business seriously and keeps a pretty close eye on everything that goes on.

We moved up from South Texas and spent years going through every Mexican and Tex-Mex joint in Maryland, Virginia and DC and this is hands down the best. The chicken tostadas, for example, are simple and done perfectly. The ingredients are good and each item is authentically done. Flautas, Tortas...everything is done the way it should be.

The dining experience is not really posh, as you kind of sit among racks of wine (they are also a wine store), but once you get the pico, hot sauces, jalapenos etc. loaded up, you sit down and are pretty focused on the food.

Really a great find, and not to be missed if you are up at Rio or driving out 270 in the Gaithersburg area.

Total win.

Visited November 2013
“Amazing Chicken Sincro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Quite the unassuming place...it's located within a gas station within a beer and wine store....only when you walk around the aisles of wine, will you see a cash register/kitchen/etc. The food is so incredibly good and cheap-- i almost always get their chicken sincro, and then add jalapenos/green salsa/red salsa and cilantro on top at the little toppings bar across from the register. Something about the way their marinate the chicken....it's simply amazing. You HAVE to try it!

• Visited June 2013