“Fabulous experience and unbelieveably great value” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
Fairfax, Virginia
“Fabulous experience and unbelieveably great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

Can't say enough good things about this place. For $135, we had a double king suite-- two king bedrooms, each with its own full bathroom, and a living room/dining room in between with a full, completely equipped kitchen. Not sure how they do this and still make money. Property is in a great location--easy access to major road (270) but the hotel itself is set in a quiet, residential area. Suite was nicely decorated, beds were very comfortable. Sink is just outside bathroom so one person can be using the bathroom while the other is at the sink-- a feature I always like. Kitchen is fully equipped-- full size refrigerator and freezer, full size oven and range, microwave, all dishes/pots/pans/silverware. Living/dining room has sofa bed and upholstered chair, tv with dvd player. Dining table has two chairs but if you want to seat four you can easily, just pull table away from the wall and bring the desk chairs in from the bedrooms. We drove to a Trader Joe's about 15 minutes away (there are also closer stores but we love Trader Joe's), got all kinds of food, and cooked dinner in our kitchen. Free buffet breakfast is included-- pre-made (not made to order) eggs, pancakes, potatoes, cold/hot cereal, bagels, toast, fresh fruit, juices, and coffee. Staff was lovely and accomodated our request for a later checkout. The hotel is styled like garden apartments-- several buildings, each with two levels. There are no elevators, only stairs. So if you would have difficulty getting yourself, your luggage (or young kids) up and down the stairs, I would recommend you request a bottom level room.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2010

I stayed here for over two weeks while in the area doing training for a new job. The rooms are nicely appointed, the beds are comfortable and the staff, especially Phillip is first class. In fact, the night I arrived, I was exhausted and wanted to have food delivered in. Phillip made a couple of recommendations and then told me to have the deliveryman stop at the front desk first and if he thought they were OK, he would send them on to my room. I really appreciated that, and Phil was very helpful during the remainder of my stay as well.

The evening social hour, which runs M-Th was great. Even if I didn't like the main thing they were serving, there was always a salad. Saved me a ton of money on meals and they serve complimentary wine and beer too! The breakfasts are also good. I liked the tables set up outside, and they have a covered BBQ area too, although I didn't use it.

The location is good, and if you want to go into DC, it is easy to drive to the train station from the hotel. It is also close to a Nordstrom Rack, and Trader Joes and Sams Club are relatively close too. The grocery store at the corner is pretty nasty, but there are certainly other and better grocery stores in the area.

One thing that could be important for you if you are traveling with a lot of luggage or other items, is that there are no elevators, so if you are not on the ground floor, you will be schlepping your stuff up stairs!!!

FYI: The restaurant I ordered from that first night (and twice more during my stay) was Mama Lucia in Rockville. I had their penne nocina each time, but others told me things they had eaten there were very tasty too!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Manchester, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

We needed a room for 2 nights for a party at nearby King Farm. We are two adults with a 10 year old. Our preference for this type of (inexpensive) stay is to have: 1. a nicely furnished room with plenty of space and at least a micro and fridge.(The full kitchen was an added bonus). 2. A decent pool with adequate seating 3. Modern and up to date building, grounds and amenities.

The Hyatt summerfield suites exceeded our expectations.

The hotel is set back from the highway with a long winding driveway and a tennis court. (I'm not sure that the tennis court is part of the hotel). Lots of shade trees, and plantings. First impression -very "green".

We requested an early check-in, and a room on the third floor was ready for us when we arrived at 11:00 am. Room was nicely decorated and quite large. The living room had a pull out couch, arm chair, coffee table, work desk, and large flat screen tv with DVD player.

The kitchen was what you might find in a small apartment, fully equiped with full sized appliances, icemaker, dishwasher, a nice selection of cooking pans, utensils, etc. Even salt, pepper, coffee, papertowels and detergent were supplied.

The bedroom was from living area separated by double doors. Bed was very comfortable with double sheeted down comforter, soft linens. A double sinked vanity was open to the bedroom (another tv) with very large walk in closet/dressing area. Small room with door for tub and toilet.

Pool was really very nice, plenty of loungers, I counted about 30 + chairs. My son and I enjoyed the hot tub. Life guard on duty at all times. The best part about this stay was that we had the pool almost entirely to ourselves for both days, Fri. and Sat. We saw less than 10 other folks at the pool in 2 days, even with 95 degree heat.

Breafast (free) was OK, like any other Marriott suite or Holiday Inn type hotel. The market that is described for food items mostly had candy and soda, soups, and frozen pizza. Just across the street within a 2 minute walk is the Walnut ? shopping plaza. There was a really odd discount supermarket (Super Saver) which had plenty of anything you might need, you must provide your own shopping bags however. Also a Chinese restaurant in this plaza.

Shady Grove metro station , about one mile away. Free shuttle vans, anywhere you need to go within 5 mile radius. (Only Mon thru Fri.)

Downsides:

Not many! The buildings had exterior corridors wich meant that the blinds in bedroom and living room needed to be closed for privacy at most times. This made the rooms a bit dark. We like climbing stairs, but be advised that there are no elevators. I would have liked a door on the closet. People traveling together on business might find the bathroom arrangement a bit awkward.

I was concerned about previous posting that mentioned lots of soccer kids. I agree that this would be a major annoyance, so I called ahead to inquire about group bookings. Fortunately -No such event for our stay.

We highly recommended this place, and plan to return next summer.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Columbia, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

We had a clean, spacious room (actually a two-bedroom suite) with kitchen and living area for a reasonable price. It was in a good location for our purposes, and while there seemed to be an abnormally large number of unattended children wandering the courtyard area, they could not be heard inside. Breakfast was acceptable. The only real incident we had was when a maid started yelling at my teenage son in rapid-fire Spanish when we were loading our vehicle upon departure. His high-school Spanish wasn't enough to figure out what his transgression might have been...

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
New Haven, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

This hotel was ok on a Thursday night. However, by Friday mid-day, dozens of the loudest, rudest 9-13yo boy soccer players descended on the place, and this is apparently routine, as there is an enormous soccer complex nearby that hosts multiple tournaments every weekend. The kids spent the entire weekend running around the place, apparently unsupervised, and most always screaming. We were in the area for a swim meet for older kids and teenaged swimmers are a pretty mellow group who want to rest in between their swims, so this was an unacceptable environment for us.

The hotel layout made the situation worse; most rooms surrounded the central courtyard that had an outdoor pool (thank goodness it was closed!) and no room was too far from a small basketball court in the courtyard. The hotel rules specified that the court was open from 9am-9pm, but I spent every morning shooing kids off the court, beginning 6:15am. And again at night, the kids were on the court well after 9pm. Hotel management was unresponsive and the kids would return to the courtyard and court within a few minutes of being told the court was closed. The management did not even know that the written rules specified that the court closed at 9pm until I pointed it out to them.

The rooms on the other side of the buildings largely looked out on a noisy highway with multiple exit ramps, so there was really no quiet place. It is a shame because the room set-up was ideal for traveling families - rooms had 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a complete kitchen and sitting area. The beds were comfortable and the furnishings were good for the price of the room. Breakfast was nothing special, but adequate.

To make matters worse, there was a crime problem that management would not acknowledge. Immediately outside of my room, I saw a car that had been broken into. I informed the manager on duty, and he pretended that this was an isolated incident. The maintenance man who was sent to sweep up the glass said this was a routine occurrence. And the icing on the cake, when I moved rooms because my first room was literally on top of the noisy basketball court, I left a few things at the bottom of the stairs because I could not carry everything, and when I returned literally seconds later, one of my bags had been stolen. I obviously had not left anything of real value, and instead carried my laptop, purse etc on the first trip up the stairs, but it was inconvenient to have my makeup bag stolen because it contained my toiletries, my son's contacts, my medication, and some newly-purchased makeup. There was a shady-looking dude standing near my stuff who was gone when I returned. He had apparently resided at the hotel for months, and my guess is that as long as he resides at the hotel, thefts will be routine.

The irony here? I frequently travel for business and pleasure and have only been a victim of hotel theft ONCE before in my entire life. It was the last time I stayed at a Summerfield Suites hotel, which was 14 years ago. That time, someone gained access to our room WHILE we were sleeping and grabbed my purse off the kitchen counter in the living room area. My purse had my drivers license, social security card, rental car keys, my house keys and my car keys for my car that was at my home airport. A real nightmare to replace all of these things while 1000 miles from home. But what really freaked us out was that our 1 year old son was sleeping in the same living room area in a crib and thankfully was unharmed, but the whole thing gave me the creeps and I avoided Summerfield Suites hotels for 14 years because of this incident. It will probably be 28 years before I try a SS hotel again!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Huntersville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

Service was great, from check in to the maids cleaning our room. The room was wonderful; we booked a 2 bedroom suite and were very pleased. The location was very close to restaurants, shopping, and businesses. We loved the breakfast that was included, they had lots of selections and the staff working it were very nice.

I would highly recommend staying here, and will stay here again in the future.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

We stayed here for a pre-marital counseling retreat and while the rooms were fairly clean (although LR furniture quite worn) and the beds fine, the place was infested with stink bugs. Everyone attending the retreat was complaining about the bugs in their room, so it wasn't just a random bug in my room. I personally killed about 6 in my room and another crawled over my papers in the conference room during one of our weekend meetings. It's too bad because the hotel would be an acceptable budget option otherwise. The bugs just grossed us out and I'm worried that some may have hitched a ride home in our bags. The food was horrible but there are kitchens in the suites so in theory you could cook your own meals or eat out.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Been to HYATT house Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!