“Enjoyed our stay at Summerfield Suites, Gaithersburg” 4 of 5 stars

Announcement
Join Hyatt Gold Passport®
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
A TripAdvisor Member
“Enjoyed our stay at Summerfield Suites, Gaithersburg”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2006

I travelled with a group of friends to the Baltimore/Washington D.C. area for New Years. Our room at the Summerfield Suites provided everything we needed. We stayed in a two-bedroom/two-bath suite and with four people in the room we had plenty of space and privacy. The free breakfast included hot meals (which I don't see too often). There is a nearby grocery and plenty of restaurants. The hotel is centrally located - about 30 mins to Washington and 60 mins to Baltimore. Overall it was a great stay and I would definitely visit again.

• Stayed January 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2005

I am a divorced father. My kids have been moved to Potomac Maryland. When I fly in and pick them up from school for the weekend, this is our comfortable, spacious, home. We used to use a Homewood Suites, but this location is great. We often use the full kitchen, and the multiple TV sets ease family tensions. We have had sleepovers and pool parties here. When they have a Wyndham 72 hour special, it really is half price, and I book several months ahead. Web rates are available at Wyndham site. Excellent service and very family friendly. On rare occassions there is some noise, but I have stayed here over fifteen weekends so I am pretty happy. We drive into downtown DC quite easily at weekends to museum hop, or drive to Harpers Ferry, and C and O canal parks. Every possible amenity in area.

• Stayed January 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2004

We found Summerfield Suites in Gaithersburg after we stayed at Summerfield Suites in Florida last summer.

IN FLORIDA we had a slight problem with housekeeping (trash was left under the sofa). We asked them to clean it up, they said they would while we were in Disney World, but they never did. The hotel gave us half off for the first night.

When we planned our trip to DC this summer we again looked for Summerfield Suites. The nearest one was in Gaithersburg. I was a little put off because when I called the hotel directly, I was always put on hold for a long time. With the weekend special our room rate was $139/nt in mid July. For that we got a two bedroom suite with a hot breakfast.

The suite was perfect. Very clean and very roomy. We had two king bedrooms and and a pull out sofa. Two bathrooms and three TVs. The fully equipped kitchen was really nice, however we hardly used it.

The pool DOES close at 9pm. We took our towels from the room, but looking back, I think you can get them from the pool area. The whirlpool tub was relaxing until it was crashed by a bunch of kids, but over all it was great.

We forgot toothpaste and razors so we were forced to pay $.75 each for these items. The breakfast was great. But the waffles were a little on the soft side, so we popped them into the toaster. We bought popcorn and candy from the hotel lobby after midnight, so that was handy. For two candy bars and two bags of microwave popcorn it was little more tahn $2.

We wanted to use the free shuttle. Theoretically the shuttle runs every half hour. However you have to plan in advance when you want to leave and come back and schedule a time, the last time being 8pm. Someone had already taken that time so we had to pick 7:30pm. Since we had no idea how long we wanted to be in DC we decided to drive to the metro instead.

The drive was short and with four kids it was worth not having the headache of planning out our time. I know I'm supposed to talk about the hotel, but if you're going to DC, this info will be helpful. We took the metro on the first day, we had 3 adults, 3 children and a baby. Don't expect to get a seat just because you have children because people in the north are just not as nice. My pregnant sister-in-law stood holding her one year old as people looked on.

We had to transfer trains at Metro Station, go upstairs and catch another train to Smithsonian. It cost us about $40 round trip because we came back before 7pm. Had we stayed until after 7pm it would have cost us about $28.

Once in DC we wanted to do a tourmobile, but they were CROWDED. So we hiked it. Our kids (ages 7 and 9) were troopers. Wear good walking shoes and pack along some water bottles. There are drinking fountains everywhere to fill up at (even though they are mildly cool).

The White House was a disappointment. Although we could see the back of it, it was crowded. Pennsylvania Avenue was closed due to construction so we couldn't even get a glimpse of the front. To tour inside you need a group of ten or more and a reservation in advance (see http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/tours/).

EATING... We found a Subway resturant for lunch it was HORRIBLE!! It was the one near the White House. The bathroom was beyond disgusting, I'm not even going to speak on what we saw in there. And the food LOOKED old. We ditched that idea and found a Quiznos two doors down. That was MUCH better.

That evening we went back to Gaithersburg to eat dinner and found a Chicken Out (a better version of Boston Market). Dinner there cost $50 for all of us, and was worth it. Everyone got what they wanted and there we NO complaints.

We checked out of the hotel early and on day two we drove into DC. The traffic wasn't as bad as we had expected and we actually found parking right away in a lot near the Washington Memorial. We were able to see everything we wanted to see, EXCEPT the Arlington National Cemetery. The Cemetery closes at 8, which is our only regret about not taking that tour.

Other than a pregnant and crabby sister in law, our trip to DC was great!

Hinckley, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2004

Visited Summerfield Suites the week of June 20, 2004 for 3 nights. We are members of their priority club, so I was disappointed that we didn't have our snacks & beverages upon arrival as promised. I did alot of research before our trip to DC & I knew that they were about a 30min Metro ride into DC, but it was worth not fighting traffic every day. They provided free transportation to & from the Metro stop ea day. We were 2 adults & 2 teenagers & LOVED our 2 bedroom suite, much privacy, with 3 TVS & 2 bathrooms! for only $115/nite. There is a continental breakfast included ea morning, but no restaurant on site. They had info in our room for delivery service from a number of restaurants & we took advantage of that on 2 nites. Only complaint: we walked out to the pool one nite @9PM after a hot day in DC. Our room info book said pool was open 'til 10PM. The pool was closed & the desk basically said too bad even after I pointed out what the guest book said. We would return & wish they had more Summerfield Suites nationwide.

Been to HYATT house Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!