“Stayed here for 3 months” 3 of 5 stars

Announcement
Join Hyatt Gold Passport®
Ranked #6 of 15 hotels in Gaithersburg
Chicago, Illinois
“Stayed here for 3 months”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Stayed for a summer internship.
Pluses: Breakfast is delicious, and they have made-to-order omelettes sometimes! The location was ideal - walkable to nice parks, quiet residential areas, grocery stores, and plenty of restaurants. There were also several great Asian markets nearby! There are local events and a farmer's market relatively close. This place is also close to public transport and major highways which make for a quick ride anywhere. They also had a van that lodgers could use! Rooms were very spacious and comfortable.
Minuses: Laundry would be unavailable/broken very often, and the price for laundry rose in the middle of the summer. My room mate and I found some strange looking mold/mildew on the shower curtains, but the staff didn't do anything about it until we pestered for a few weeks. Sometimes noise from neighbors or the unintentional noise from our place was a problem.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

170 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Mililani, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I just checked into the Hyatt place at Gaithersburg, MD and I will be here for 2 weeks in this room. This is my first time experiencing a Hyatt when usually I am a Starwood member. I decided to try a different brand to experience it and my first impression has not been a good one. I am here for a teacher conference and the first thing that I see is the dust and crap on the couch, bed stains at bottom of the bed, mold in the shower, dirty draws, and dust on clothes rack. Did anyone even clean this room? I understand that they were sold out due to the 4th of July weekend but it seems as if nothing was cleaned. Attached are the pictures of this room that I am in. This is not the impression that Hyatt wants to have for a first time guest.

If this continues, I am definitely requesting to get out of this hotel and brand.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Booked a reservation with our baseball team via the website. About 30 minutes prior to my arrival, they messaged us that 3 of our rooms were no longer available. The front desk person stated that a large group came in and needed the rooms so they bumped us. Apparently when we book a reservation that is meaningless. I would never recommend this to any of my friends.

Stayed July 2014
Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We found out prior to our visit that you have no elevators, so I called ahead directly to the hotel to request a ground floor room. I was told by the person on the phone, that they would probably be able to honor my request. I then asked if they could note our request on our reservation and explained my husband had rheumatoid arthritis, my daughter was recovering from a soccer injury and I had just had surgery, and would not be able to assist them in unpacking the car. The response from the person at the front desk was "okay, hopefully we can accommodate you, and I will note it on your reservation" We arrived and the staff appeared to have no record of my request. We arrived about 4:15 and the women was kind and asked what type of room we had requested, which I thought was odd, since I had a reservation. I stated that we had a trio (King, and two doubles/queens) she was nice and apologized saying they had been swamped the during the weekend and the room was not ready. She called housekeeping and requested a trio on ground level. We waited nearly an hour, during which time, the shift changed, the second person on duty, was less that cordial, actually rude, but finally got us our room. When we arrived at our room, it was indeed a trio, BUT NOT a king,, double, double, It was a queen/ double, double. We were okay with this, because it was ground floor, however there were numerous problems with our room. First, the TV in the master bedroom did not work, second, the other bedroom's bathroom did not have a plug in the bathtub, which made it impossible for our daughter to take a bath. She could not take a bath in our room, because it only had a shower. We made do. The second night we returned to our room, and none of our keys worked! We had to go to the front desk and have them rekeyed/programmed. The next day I did laundry, two of the machines worked great, however the third machine did not. IT DID NOT RINSE MY CLOTHES, I can assure you I read the directions and followed them. Consequently, I had to rewash them in another washer. Housekeeping was in the room, when I noted the problem, and I asked them to place a sign on the washer, but instead of placing a sign on the washer, they chose to wipe it out and allow some other guest the same opportunity to have their clothes not washed properly. On the positive side, THE LIFEGUARD and the GROUNDSKEEPER WERE GREAT. They were friendly, and kind. The pool and grounds were immaculate. In terms of location, the hotel was great, however, we encountered many problems, and were not impressed. We expected much better as the reviews on trip advisor suggest this hotel is a good one. We have stayed at many suite hotels over the years and I can honestly say, this was less than satisfactory in many ways. We tried to make the best of our situation, but were disappointed. Hopefully they read this and improve their customer service.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was here meeting a friend who was on business and was pleasantly surprised to find such a spacious place; 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, kitchen and "living room". I was even more surprised to find out what else they had to offer. Every night at 5 was a social event. No one under 21 was allowed since alcohol was served but they also had snacks to eat at no extra cost. Breakfast was good. You have your choice of hot and cold dishes as well as fruit, yogurt, juices, and coffee/tea.

The service was excellent. The staff was so warm and friendly. They also gave me great suggestions of attractions to visit. I would love to come back to this hotel just to talk to the workers.

The hotel is easy to navigate. It is right of 377 and/or 355. It is also close to many restaurants and Washington Center.

And just a side perk, it is pet friendly!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
COLUMBUS OHIO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Upon arrival we were greeted with the words,'We have your reservations but the only rooms available are on the third floor and there are no elevators'. My response was, 'That's a problem - I am a cardiac patient' (i am, sadly) - In situations like this usually the Front Desk Manager offers to help with bags...but in this case the response was 'oh well..if you run into trouble, we have a Nurse on call'. (presumably to pronounce me dead and not inconvenience others?)
I doubt any business could have telegraphed their disregard of their clientele so graphically. BUT it got worse. The following morning, one of the Hotel Management team (big lad, tan check suit...clutching a brown paper bag for dear life) actually shouldered me out of the way on his plod thru' the breakfast area (I know he was with the Hotel because he went directly into the back office while i was still trying to untangle myself from the chair he'd shoved me into). ,,,,,and i found the Manager (grey pinstripe, hair turning to silver. lemon power tie) also in the lobby and went to give him a piece of my mind, - only he completely ignored me, chatted briefly with another member of staff about personnel 'no shows' and also fled to the back office. Wonderful. What to say about the rest of the stay. The H-Bar was OK, - breakfast with made to order omelet surprisingly so. Breakfast beverages were wanting......I had to drain several different pots of coffee types (8.15am, btw) to get a full cup...it's a new Starbucks blend called 'Dregs'. I'd have had a cup of tea except they had no BREAKFAST tea....at a breakfast bar. [Hint: after a night of non sleep one needs caffeine, not tutti frutti teas]. The WiFi was free.....couldn't get on it.....router appeared overloaded. The room was clean BUT NOISY NOISY....road noise was terrible and the whole building resounds when any door is opened or closed, - couldn't sleep despite bed being otherwise comfy.
The shower & WC was so small one couldn't swing a cat in there, not even a kitten.....and what is the point of having a foot towel if there's no space to lay it out between shower and WC, and WTH hide the bath towels BEHIND the door?
The plumbing was interesting......the faucet over the vanity wasn't actually connected to the countertop..which made getting the right temp of water quite the challenge.
The whole place was made of wood which to my eye at least appears to be suffering from extensive rot, and whether that means structural issues or fire hazards I am not qualified to speak to (PS who the heck has a fire pit in the center of a wood structure housing multiple PEOPLE? ...in JUNE, yet?...i shall be writing to Gaithersburg FD after I'm done here)...BUT I DID NOT FEEL SAFE in this structure.

It wasn't only me, my traveling companions had other issues.....one could not sleep because there was an alarm in his room beeping all the night and although th front desk told him to remove the battery it was powered by mains AC! He could have been injured! - and they had no maintenance staff to fix the thing....and my other colleague was stuck with a room that smelled of cigarette smoke and had ash in the kitchen sink......oh boy.

When we checked out we told the guy at the front desk how unhappy we were and he tut tutted but took our money anyway. So it's clear what's important ......DOLLARS.

Summing up goes to another individual in the Breakfast Bar area who witnessed the 'shoulder charge' incident referred to previously, 'This hotel treats guests like cattle....that's the kind of guests they'll have'. Mooooooo.

Hyatt should disassociate itself with this underweight property...before anything happens that causes liability claims. Just My Honest Opinion.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

This hotel changed hands and is now a Hyatt House. The rooms are nicely remodeled, with good sized kitchens. The wireless was good and there were plenty of TV channels (but an outdated listing). breakfast was a bit better than most, they offered made to order eggs...but everything else was pretty typical. Service was always friendly, as well. The only downside is the location does not have any restaurants in walking distance. My room had a skylight over the bed, which was a bit odd, but I had to get up early every day, so it was not a big issue on this trip. I would stay here again--enjoy.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get the skylight room on the second floor, unless you like to wake up very e...