“Great Stay at a Good Price” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
“Great Stay at a Good Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

A good clean room for a good price. You get a real kitchen with a full fridge and stove, a roomy living-room, and free parking. They provide a shuttle to the Shady Grove Metro which is about 30 - 45 min ride to Metro Center. There is a grocery store close by.
Now the not so good, the bedroom is rather cramped with a king size bed (which is very comfortable). You need to turn sideways to get in the bed on one of the sides. The bathroom is even smaller. The door barely clears the toilet and you need to stand in the walk in shower to shut the door if your in the bathroom. That's right only a walk in shower no tub. The towel were soft and large.
The breakfast is your basic eggs, and depending on the day pancake or french toast or biscuits and gravy. Juice and coffee, also eggs to order. All in all it was filling and good.
The front desk staff is friendly.
The maintenance staff was exceptional, we had a blizzard and they were there shoveling out our cars and refused a tip "its my job to take care of you" when was the last time you heard that!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
mjl092354, General Manager at HYATT house Gaithersburg, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Thank you for your kind words about our hotel. We are delighted that you chose to stay with us when you travelled to the Gaithersburg area. Know that you are always welcome and our staff is always at the ready to serve you. I will share your comments with our entire team. I truly hope we can be of service to you again in the very near future.

Michael J. Lavoie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
French Lick, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We got a fantastic deal on Hotwire and stayed for 3 nights while visiting family. We were in a king suite with a pull out couch in the living room and a real kitchen (Full size refrigerator, full size stove, microwave, kitchen cabinets, garbage disposal, dishwasher, dishes, pots and pans). The room was pretty much a small apartment and had been recently remodeled. The bed was very comfortable and my kids said the pullout couch was as well. The outside of the hotel is under construction as they remodel it, but I didn't notice any noise at all during our stay. I will say the outside looks a little rough in places with all the remodeling going on (and worried me a little before we saw the room), but the room was great. The free breakfast buffet was outstanding and free wifi made my kids happy! Overall this was a great value. It is going to be a very nice hotel once the remodeling is done.

Stayed December 2013
Michael L, General Manager at HYATT house Gaithersburg, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you so very much for your kind words about our hotel. I am pleased your stay was so pleasant for you and your children. The good news is that the exterior remodeling is almost done and soon we will be an even more beautiful hotel with outstanding service professionals in place to serve all of our guests. I truly hope we can be of service to you again in the very near future!

Olney, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

Stayed one night (Saturday) at the Hyatt house, and i was impressed with the concept and the decor. The rooms were better than most of the high priced hotels. Living area, kitchen and bedroom are standard, but didn't get to see what the suites were like all at a very moderate price. I will definitely be going back to this hotel. Did i mention there is a free breakfast buffet with eggs, bacon, sausage gravy, made to order omelettes, ect.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael L, General Manager at HYATT house Gaithersburg, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thank you for your kind words about our hotel, our team and your recent stay. We stand committed to delivering the best in customer service and product quality. Although I have only been here 1 month I am excited to be working here. I truly hope we can be of service to you again in the very near future.

Best Regards....

ithaca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times and have seen it deteriorate.

The good: staff is very nice and helpful; rooms have been renovated.

The bad: prices have increased, as much as 30% and value has gone down for your staying experience; most rooms have "stink" bugs that you'll run into from time to time (they are flat critters that are harmless but disconcerting to see).

The ugly: hotel has long term patrons that work on the electrical power lines (you'll notice their large trucks) and most of them seem to smoke and are otherwise rowdy, so if you are unlucky to be next to a smoker it is horrible as the smoke filtering into your room will smell like dog feces. Hotel is supposed to be nonsmoking - that means no smoking anywhere on the premises, not only in the rooms.

Recommendation: go to the Hyatt Regency in Bethesda (11 miles away) - much nicer, closer to shopping and DC, and its only a little more.

Room Tip: if you see powerline trucks near your room, ask to stay at some other part of the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent comments about your stay at our hotel. On behalf of our entire team please accept my apology that your stay was so poor. Your comments are very valuable to us as we strive to be the best in customer service and product quality. Your comments will be reviewed by our entire team and I assure you we will set out a course for improvement. I have only been here 1 month as the new General Manager and customer service is my highest focus. I truly hope we can be of service to you again in the very near future.

Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

This was the first stay at this hotel as well as the first for a stay at Hyatt House since they rebranded from Hyatt Summerfield Suites. I was traveling with friends and we had a 2 bedroom suite. Check in was quick and easy, and the room was spacious, clean and updated - just what I expect from a Hyatt property. Shady Grove metro station is nearby as well. Overall a great experience!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind words about our hotel and our team. I am so happy you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Although I have only been here 1 month as General Manager I am excited to be working here at the Hyatt House in Gaithersburg. I truly hope we can be of service to you again in the very near future.

Cumberland, Rhode Island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

We stayed here as we needed a suite and it was the cheapest. I thought some of the good reviews would make it a better experience than the last time we were there, but we were sadly mistaken.

The only good part of the stay was the room itself as it was recently redone and the beds were good. The pull out couch was actually comfortable which is not usually the case. It would be nice if the pull out bed had a blanket on it and not have to ask for it.

The construction was visible all over the hotel but it was not welcome when they started around 7am with the banging and drilling.

The breakfast was a big cluster and very disorganized. Most of the time the food and plates were out which was disappointing. There was an omelet bar but it was 45 minute wait for one which is something you cannot wait for.

The front desk staff was also not very good during our stay. The first time I called during the morning to get a blanket sent to our room, it took 30 rings before someone picked up. After requesting the blanket it never came and I had to call again that night. I also called to get lights that were out replaced in our room and that was never done after multiple calls.

I feel the rooms are nice and the property will get better with renovations but that will not help more customer service.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

We travel at least weekly for business, leisure, and sports tournaments. Never in my life have I encountered a situation like this. Our daughter's soccer team booked rooms through the Bethesda Tournament as they were required to do so to participate in the tournament. The rooms were booked within the hour the tournament booking opened, and there were still rooms remaining once we completed booking, so we know that the tournament was not oversold at that point. I called three days prior to our flight down to reconfirm the rooms and Marlene at the front desk went through every room with me and reconfirmed each. We had rented multiple 2 bedroom suites so that 2 players and 2 parents could share. Upon our arrival at the hotel, Damon at the front desk informed us that the hotel was significantly oversold and that instead of the 2 bedroom suites we had contracted, each of our 2 bedroom suites had been downgraded to a one bedroom suite. We went from having 7 two bedroom suites (14 beds) booked to having 7 one bedroom suites (7 beds). They did not offer to help us move, so we called other hotels on our own. Their solution was to put parents and kids together on a sofa bed. Despite having to wake up at 5:30am for the tournament, we were up and trying to resolve this problem until almost midnight. The hotel placed complete blame for the overselling on the Bethesda Convention Bureau, which apparently controls the rooms for the tournament. Some of us (those who could fit) are still here, and we have asked repeatedly to speak to a manager, but the desk workers say they do not know how to get in touch with the manager or that the manager will arrive later. Others from different teams are also at the front desk complaining and have noted that this has happened multiple times to multiple teams. We would like to speak to management but no one gives a response other than waiting for a manager. The hotel had other single suites but said they were reserved and refused to give us any more rooms. The difference in a one bedroom vs two bedroom suite is $20, but many on the team scrambled to find rooms at a different hotel and are now paying much more than that out of pocket. Shame on this hotel for running this scam. If anyone in management would ever give us the courtesy of a reply, we would like to discuss this further. A response that you would like us to come down another time is not sufficient as we are a flight away and in no case would we trust you again to stay here. Please respond today so that we can actually address this while we are here.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Been to HYATT house Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!