“Great Place for a week or a weekend” 4 of 5 stars

Announcement
Join Hyatt Gold Passport®
Ranked #6 of 15 hotels in Gaithersburg
Phillipsburg, New Jersey
“Great Place for a week or a weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stayed here on our weekend trip to Washington, DC. It's a short distance from the last stop on the Red line Metro. This was convenient as the parking is free on weekends.
The hotel is just about finished with a complete renovation. the breakfast room and some areas around the outdoor pool were still under construction. They don't have an indoor pool so the pool is only open from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
The breakfast room (even though not completed) is a nice place to have breakfast and you can eat out by the pool, weather permitting. It's a full breakfast not just typical fast food hotel fare. Not quite restaurant quality but next best thing and is free.
We were in a suite with full kitchen and separate bedroom. Don't know if they have other types of rooms but this place is billed as a long term stay place.
Since just renovated everything looked new or redone at least. Had only one minor problem, water flow in bathroom sink was very low, didn't matter whether other water was running or not.
They promised to fix that day. We were leaving that day so don't know if they did.
WIFI was a little tricky to get on and almost no directions available, just gave you a logon and password. Trick is you have to bring up a browser to get login page (Apple iPad and iPod).
Overall it was a great place to stay to visit DC or for anyplace in central MD.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Anthony_Best, Manager at HYATT house Gaithersburg, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for such a detailed review, I appreciate your positive comments. We were happy to have you and your family with us as our guest during our renovation and we hope that you will visit us again soon to experience the final product in its entirety.

177 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We are not too fussy when it comes to travel and rooms...clean room, bathroom, clean bedding stuff like that and if there's a problem staff handles it. Our stay here was good, only problem the mattress wasn't very good. Hubby didn't notice but i did.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. I am glad that your travel basics were met while you were with us. I apologize that the bed was a bit uncomfortable but we will happily look in to this concern. Thank you for your feedback.
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

My family and I were looking for a decent hotel near the Metro for our DC trip and we booked with the Hyatt House. On Sat we checked in and were told that they did not have the type of room we booked because of overbooking. I was then told we were upgraded as if we were being treated very well by the hotel. Really? The room I booked was not available and the hotel was nice enough to give me a different room. However to compensate they did give us additional Hyatt points. Then we were told we would need to move out of the room the next day and move into the one we reserved. We get to the "upgraded" room and it had several issues such as cleanliness. The next morning when we checked out of that room, the desk clerk was surprised we were put in there. So much for the upgrade. i gave her a list of issues and said we would be back later to check into the room we reserved with all of our stuff in tow while we ventured out for the day. It took me writing a note to finally get three sets of towels, we had to go to the front desk twice to get another set for our third person. the business center was not in operation which was an inconvenience but the folks at the front desk did help by printing out the items we needed. Although the folks at the hotel tried to help, our overall stay was lackluster at best. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you taking the time to review your stay at our property. I apologize for the check-in process your experienced and lack of quality control regarding the cleanliness of your room. I know that this is not the lasting impression we would like to leave with you. Thank you again for sharing your feedback and I hope to see you again in the future.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My partner and I were looking to just get away for a few days and just relax at a nice hotel with room service and a kitchenette. Well I searched online and came across the Hyatt house.
After reading their website and their "supposed" services it sounded very intriguing and the rooms looked great. They stated on their website that they offer room service, have an on site small grocery store and a shopping service where you make a list and they go to the store for you. Well this was quite a bit of bull, upon arrival I asked the front desk where the "grocery" store was and they showed me, it was about 5 feet long and 3 feet wide. Which on their website the pictures and description explain/showed a few aisles (3 aisles approx) and anything from sandwiches, milk, juice, eggs and etc. Much to our surprise they had a few candy bars, soda, water, ramen and a few chips. That was about it, so it was well beyond a false advertisement on the website. Then we got in our room which overall was a nice room. It was a nice sized room. I would describe as a studio apartment although the bedroom was separate and had double doors. Once we brought in all of our bags and settled in we began to of course really look around. We found several stink bugs located through out the room. Now I am fully aware stink bugs are bad this year and past year however these stink bugs were dead and you could tell have been there for quite some time. There were two on the curtains that had been there for so long, we shook the curtains and they didn't budge. We found 2 in the cabinets in the kitchen area. The room was nice, but not very clean. The room didn't look like it had been vacuumed. However the cleaning crew were extremely nice and friendly, way better than the front desk people. The cleaning crew went out of their way to make sure we had extra towels, trash bags, the whole bit.
One day during our stay around 9am we received a call stating that our water would be shut off for a few hours and we were quite irritated. At this point everything was irritating after the bugs, the lies. I asked if we would receive any compensation since we had bugs, lied about the "grocery store", there was no room service like stated on their website, the shopping you have to stay a minimum of 9 days I was told in order to use that service. I was extremely irritated. The room per night was $149 which I thought included all these other things. The manager told me being from Pennsylvania it could be possible the stink bugs attached to our luggage and came with us. We received a $50 credit which I didn't find all that acceptable. Definitely will never stay here again and wouldn't recommend it to anybody. The staff was not friendly and the manager was extremely rude.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you taking the time to review your stay at our property. I apologize for the poor service and lack of quality control with regards to the cleanliness of your room. These items should not have been there upon your arrival. Thank you again for your feedback.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I am very picky about where I stay and on the negative I found a stink bug in the closet. The next day my daughter screamed as another one was crawling on the mirror. Also, when I checked the bed as I always do there was hair all over the mattress cover. The pull out couch had stained bedding. We called for extra bedding and were given a bedspread for the mattress cover and one sheet. Thank goodness We had some personal blankets.
The cleaning crew should inspect the bedding and beds before they sign off on a room. People like me always check under the covers.

The space was nice for a family of three

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you taking the time to review your stay at our property. I apologize for the lack of quality control with regards to the cleanliness of your room. You are absolutely correct that the staff should have inspected those items prior to the room being rented. Thank you again for sharing your feedback.
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Got this hotel through Priceline for a 2-night stay. The suite accommodations - living area, full kitchen & separate bedroom - are GREAT. The longer the stay, the better! There are separate TVs in the living area & bedroom & complimentary in-room wifi.
A superior complimentary hot breakfast is a big plus & a shopping plaza with grocery store & a couple eateries is easy walking distance.

Room Tip: Our ground-level unit was fine.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for writing such a favorable review of our property. It is wonderful to read that we were able to provide you with the amenities that helped you enjoy your stay so much. Hope to see you again soon.
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Just stayed five nights at Hyatt House Gaithersburg, and I thoroughly enjoyed the accommodations. The location is unbeatable: 1 mile from Shady Grove Metro (last stop on the red line with free parking on weekends and a hotel shuttle on weekdays); 1 block from the new ICC 200 (Maryland toll road connecting I-270 to I-95); and 2 miles from the Rockville Town Center. The suite had a king size bed with two flat screens, a fully-equipped kitchen (walking distance to the nearby Food Lion supermarket), and a bathroom with shower. The morning breakfast buffet is extensive with a variety of egg dishes, meat choices, bread and bagels, fruit, yogurt, and smooth coffee. The hotel is undergoing renovation, but there is no inconvenience to present guests. The staff is very friendly and helpful. This was an enjoyable experience, and I'm not being spiffed for this.

Room Tip: This is a two-story, all-suites hotel within a large extended stay property. There are no interior...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Anthony_Best, General Manager at HYATT house Gaithersburg, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
It is very kind of you to write such nice things about the property and I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed our suites! We strive to make every stay memorable so it gives us great delight that you were satisfied with your visit. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Warm Regards,

Sandra Stulen

Been to HYATT house Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!