“Really wanted to like it” 3 of 5 stars

Announcement
Join Hyatt Gold Passport®
Ranked #6 of 15 hotels in Gaithersburg
Texas
“Really wanted to like it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

My family and I were looking for a decent hotel near the Metro for our DC trip and we booked with the Hyatt House. On Sat we checked in and were told that they did not have the type of room we booked because of overbooking. I was then told we were upgraded as if we were being treated very well by the hotel. Really? The room I booked was not available and the hotel was nice enough to give me a different room. However to compensate they did give us additional Hyatt points. Then we were told we would need to move out of the room the next day and move into the one we reserved. We get to the "upgraded" room and it had several issues such as cleanliness. The next morning when we checked out of that room, the desk clerk was surprised we were put in there. So much for the upgrade. i gave her a list of issues and said we would be back later to check into the room we reserved with all of our stuff in tow while we ventured out for the day. It took me writing a note to finally get three sets of towels, we had to go to the front desk twice to get another set for our third person. the business center was not in operation which was an inconvenience but the folks at the front desk did help by printing out the items we needed. Although the folks at the hotel tried to help, our overall stay was lackluster at best. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013
Anthony_Best, Manager at HYATT house Gaithersburg, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you taking the time to review your stay at our property. I apologize for the check-in process your experienced and lack of quality control regarding the cleanliness of your room. I know that this is not the lasting impression we would like to leave with you. Thank you again for sharing your feedback and I hope to see you again in the future.

178 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My partner and I were looking to just get away for a few days and just relax at a nice hotel with room service and a kitchenette. Well I searched online and came across the Hyatt house.
After reading their website and their "supposed" services it sounded very intriguing and the rooms looked great. They stated on their website that they offer room service, have an on site small grocery store and a shopping service where you make a list and they go to the store for you. Well this was quite a bit of bull, upon arrival I asked the front desk where the "grocery" store was and they showed me, it was about 5 feet long and 3 feet wide. Which on their website the pictures and description explain/showed a few aisles (3 aisles approx) and anything from sandwiches, milk, juice, eggs and etc. Much to our surprise they had a few candy bars, soda, water, ramen and a few chips. That was about it, so it was well beyond a false advertisement on the website. Then we got in our room which overall was a nice room. It was a nice sized room. I would describe as a studio apartment although the bedroom was separate and had double doors. Once we brought in all of our bags and settled in we began to of course really look around. We found several stink bugs located through out the room. Now I am fully aware stink bugs are bad this year and past year however these stink bugs were dead and you could tell have been there for quite some time. There were two on the curtains that had been there for so long, we shook the curtains and they didn't budge. We found 2 in the cabinets in the kitchen area. The room was nice, but not very clean. The room didn't look like it had been vacuumed. However the cleaning crew were extremely nice and friendly, way better than the front desk people. The cleaning crew went out of their way to make sure we had extra towels, trash bags, the whole bit.
One day during our stay around 9am we received a call stating that our water would be shut off for a few hours and we were quite irritated. At this point everything was irritating after the bugs, the lies. I asked if we would receive any compensation since we had bugs, lied about the "grocery store", there was no room service like stated on their website, the shopping you have to stay a minimum of 9 days I was told in order to use that service. I was extremely irritated. The room per night was $149 which I thought included all these other things. The manager told me being from Pennsylvania it could be possible the stink bugs attached to our luggage and came with us. We received a $50 credit which I didn't find all that acceptable. Definitely will never stay here again and wouldn't recommend it to anybody. The staff was not friendly and the manager was extremely rude.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you taking the time to review your stay at our property. I apologize for the poor service and lack of quality control with regards to the cleanliness of your room. These items should not have been there upon your arrival. Thank you again for your feedback.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I am very picky about where I stay and on the negative I found a stink bug in the closet. The next day my daughter screamed as another one was crawling on the mirror. Also, when I checked the bed as I always do there was hair all over the mattress cover. The pull out couch had stained bedding. We called for extra bedding and were given a bedspread for the mattress cover and one sheet. Thank goodness We had some personal blankets.
The cleaning crew should inspect the bedding and beds before they sign off on a room. People like me always check under the covers.

The space was nice for a family of three

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you taking the time to review your stay at our property. I apologize for the lack of quality control with regards to the cleanliness of your room. You are absolutely correct that the staff should have inspected those items prior to the room being rented. Thank you again for sharing your feedback.
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Got this hotel through Priceline for a 2-night stay. The suite accommodations - living area, full kitchen & separate bedroom - are GREAT. The longer the stay, the better! There are separate TVs in the living area & bedroom & complimentary in-room wifi.
A superior complimentary hot breakfast is a big plus & a shopping plaza with grocery store & a couple eateries is easy walking distance.

Room Tip: Our ground-level unit was fine.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for writing such a favorable review of our property. It is wonderful to read that we were able to provide you with the amenities that helped you enjoy your stay so much. Hope to see you again soon.
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Just stayed five nights at Hyatt House Gaithersburg, and I thoroughly enjoyed the accommodations. The location is unbeatable: 1 mile from Shady Grove Metro (last stop on the red line with free parking on weekends and a hotel shuttle on weekdays); 1 block from the new ICC 200 (Maryland toll road connecting I-270 to I-95); and 2 miles from the Rockville Town Center. The suite had a king size bed with two flat screens, a fully-equipped kitchen (walking distance to the nearby Food Lion supermarket), and a bathroom with shower. The morning breakfast buffet is extensive with a variety of egg dishes, meat choices, bread and bagels, fruit, yogurt, and smooth coffee. The hotel is undergoing renovation, but there is no inconvenience to present guests. The staff is very friendly and helpful. This was an enjoyable experience, and I'm not being spiffed for this.

Room Tip: This is a two-story, all-suites hotel within a large extended stay property. There are no interior...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Anthony_Best, General Manager at HYATT house Gaithersburg, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
It is very kind of you to write such nice things about the property and I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed our suites! We strive to make every stay memorable so it gives us great delight that you were satisfied with your visit. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Warm Regards,

Sandra Stulen
Upstate NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed here for a long weekend while visiting DC. The accommodations were excellent. King size bed, full kitchen, everything we needed. It appeared our suite had been recently renovated. About a 5 minute car ride from the Shady Grove metro. Our room was on the third floor with no elevator, so luggage was a hassle, but they have an outside basketball court, gas grill, pool... We stayed in the back corner away from the highway and the whole area seemed very quiet. The bed was great, free breakfast, free parking and a great nightly rate... couldn't ask for anything more! We will definitely return!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review! We truly enjoyed having you as our guest and I'm so glad to hear that you had an enjoyable time with us. We are looking foward to your next visit to Gaithersburg area.
Spring Hill, KS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

After staying here, we will never get a regular hotel room again! We "splurged" for our family of five for Spring Break of sightseeing in Washington, DC and stayed in a two bedroom trio suite. There was a comfy king bed in our room and bathroom with a shower, two double beds in the other bedroom with a bathroom with a tub, and our youngest slept on a queen-sized pullout sofa bed. The curtains truly blocked all the light; it was very tempting to sleep in every day. The suite has a full kitchen with a stove/oven, microwave, dishwasher, full-size fridge and pretty well stocked supply of pots and pans and dishes.

The area seemed very safe. We experienced very friendly service and thorough and prompt housekeeping when requested. We did have one incident with a staff member in which a brief argument ensued over our missing the shuttle, but we didn't have any issues the rest of the time.

I can offer some tips for guests to this facility:

- there was no cookie sheet, ice trays, or large coffee cups and you will have to provide all food (even ketchup, etc.). We even brought our own espresso machine to avoid the costly coffee shops every day.

- the hotel offers a grocery shopping service which we did not use since the store is about a block away. This service is probably very useful if you have fewer groceries to buy (remember, we were feeding five for a week!)

- talk to Phil at the front desk as soon as he is on duty. He sat me down with our planner and scheduled times for the hotel shuttle to the metro stop. Take ALL of his advice. He knows what he's talking about!

- Shady Grove metro stop is about a mile away, and is the last stop on the red line, about 40 minutes to the sights in DC. Research off-peak metro times and plan ahead to save money. Go ahead and buy the 7-day pass if you're there that long.

- DO schedule your hotel shuttle times; it does fill up and you will find yourself waiting an hour or so for the shuttle to return from its scheduled stops. And it will probably be cold and rainy that day. Guess on the time if you have to and program the hotel's number in your phone to update as necessary.

- The hotel's washer and dryer are coin-operated, so either budget the time and a few bucks for that or skip it.

- DO take advantage of the free hot breakfast. It's actually really good!!

- There are NO ELEVATORS, which we knew ahead of time. Based on reviews, we asked for a third floor room (the top floor), and the stairs were a small price to pay for the privacy and quiet nights. We had a room that faced the basketball court and pool area, but the pool was closed for the season and the cold temps kept activity to a minimum (I'm sure it's somewhat noisy in summer).

There were some pretty extensive renovations going on that week, and it looks like the new restaurant/bar area will be amazing! While we were there those amenities were not available, but we hope someday to return and check it out.

We were extremely pleased and will recommend this place to everyone we know who is traveling to the area.

Room Tip: A higher floor means less foot traffic and less noise, but remember...NO ELEVATOR.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Anthony_Best, General Manager at HYATT house Gaithersburg, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are delighted that you had a wonderful time and we thank you for taking the time to review our property. Rest assured, we will make your next stay just as memorable.

Warm Regards,

Sandra Stulen

Been to HYATT house Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!