After staying here, we will never get a regular hotel room again! We "splurged" for our family of five for Spring Break of sightseeing in Washington, DC and stayed in a two bedroom trio suite. There was a comfy king bed in our room and bathroom with a shower, two double beds in the other bedroom with a bathroom with a tub, and our youngest slept on a queen-sized pullout sofa bed. The curtains truly blocked all the light; it was very tempting to sleep in every day. The suite has a full kitchen with a stove/oven, microwave, dishwasher, full-size fridge and pretty well stocked supply of pots and pans and dishes.
The area seemed very safe. We experienced very friendly service and thorough and prompt housekeeping when requested. We did have one incident with a staff member in which a brief argument ensued over our missing the shuttle, but we didn't have any issues the rest of the time.
I can offer some tips for guests to this facility:
- there was no cookie sheet, ice trays, or large coffee cups and you will have to provide all food (even ketchup, etc.). We even brought our own espresso machine to avoid the costly coffee shops every day.
- the hotel offers a grocery shopping service which we did not use since the store is about a block away. This service is probably very useful if you have fewer groceries to buy (remember, we were feeding five for a week!)
- talk to Phil at the front desk as soon as he is on duty. He sat me down with our planner and scheduled times for the hotel shuttle to the metro stop. Take ALL of his advice. He knows what he's talking about!
- Shady Grove metro stop is about a mile away, and is the last stop on the red line, about 40 minutes to the sights in DC. Research off-peak metro times and plan ahead to save money. Go ahead and buy the 7-day pass if you're there that long.
- DO schedule your hotel shuttle times; it does fill up and you will find yourself waiting an hour or so for the shuttle to return from its scheduled stops. And it will probably be cold and rainy that day. Guess on the time if you have to and program the hotel's number in your phone to update as necessary.
- The hotel's washer and dryer are coin-operated, so either budget the time and a few bucks for that or skip it.
- DO take advantage of the free hot breakfast. It's actually really good!!
- There are NO ELEVATORS, which we knew ahead of time. Based on reviews, we asked for a third floor room (the top floor), and the stairs were a small price to pay for the privacy and quiet nights. We had a room that faced the basketball court and pool area, but the pool was closed for the season and the cold temps kept activity to a minimum (I'm sure it's somewhat noisy in summer).
There were some pretty extensive renovations going on that week, and it looks like the new restaurant/bar area will be amazing! While we were there those amenities were not available, but we hope someday to return and check it out.
We were extremely pleased and will recommend this place to everyone we know who is traveling to the area.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Expedia, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your HYATT house Gaithersburg reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt House Gaithersburg Hotel Gaithersburg
- Summerfield Suites Gaithersburg
- Hyatt Gaithersburg
- Gaithersburg Hyatt
- Gaithersburg Summerfield Suites
- Hyatt Summerfield Suites