“Home away from Home” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
Frederick, Maryland
“Home away from Home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I have stayed at Hyatt House before and found it quite charming. This past time of staying at the Hyatt House I found that they have remodeled the rooms. They are much nicer and more modern in their design. The front desk agent was very sweet and welcomed me to the afternoon "social" which was ok but I found that the staff was very knowledgeable about the area and gave great tips on things for me to do that would fit my budget and interests. I love the fact that the rooms feel like you are in your own house compared to being in a hotel I will say it is a great change from seeing the same model time and time again. One bad thing is that there are no elevators it is an all exterior hotel.... let me break that one down for you all... For those who don't travel all that much this means that you have to walk outside.... All in all it is a great stay the staff treats you like family and are very helpful and friendly. I look forward to my next stay!

Room Tip: I love the corner rooms they have more windows
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Anthony_Best, General Manager at HYATT house Gaithersburg, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you for your kind words regarding our hotel, staff & services! I am pleased to hear that our staff takes care of you during your stay. We have a great staff and our goal is to make you feel comfortable and at home. It's nice to hear that we did our job! Unfortunately, due to the property having an exterior layout and less than 4 floors, an elevator isn't really needed. However, if you need a lower floor suite please, specify it on your next reservation. Our staff will be more than happy to honor your request. We appreciate your feed back and we hope to see you soon on your next trip.

-Sandra Stulen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
home
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

For the price, this hotel was great. The location was fine - easy to find and in a safe area. Check-in was a breeze - the front desk staff was wonderful, very efficient and friendly. In fact, all the staff people we encountered during our stay were very polite, helpful, and pleasant. The room (a suite, really) was very spacious and included a nice kitchen and living area - it was more than enough space for the two of us. The room was updated and pleasantly decorated, and most importantly, everything was very clean. The bed was comfortable and the soundproofing was good, which made for a good night's sleep. The fitness room was very small, but adequate for a quick workout. The basketball court on the premises was nice, and you can borrow a ball from the front desk if you like. A breakfast buffet was included with the stay, but the food quality and selection was mediocre at best. The hot items were largely overcooked and very dry from sitting around, and there weren't many different items to choose from. However, the food was free, plentiful, and edible, so can't really complain. All in all, it was a very pleasant stay, and I wouldn't hesitate to choose this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Anthony_Best, General Manager at HYATT house Gaithersburg, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
I would first like to extend a big thank you for your response, I would like to say that we train all of our front desk staff to be kind, helpful, respectful and professional at all times. I am pleased that you enjoyed you stay in our large suites, The rooms were renovated this year and I see you noticed the updates. I am sadden that the breakfast was "mediocre" and "overcooked" I do apologize for the poor selection. I am however pleased to say that we will be renovating the lobby area in the early winter of 2013 and with the renovation comes better breakfast options and carefully prepared hot breakfast selections. I know that this would happen after your stay with us but we do hope that you will come and visit us again soon to see the exciting new changes.

Too far from home
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed at this hotel last year before the renovations. The renovations were well done. I like the full kitchen. Extremely polite staff. The exterior of the building needs $1+ million for repairs. The breakfast is nothing to write about.

The bottom line... average.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hello, I do appreciate and thank you for your nice comments about our hotel and staff. I disappointed that we did not offer you a better breakfast experience, I know that breakfast is very important to all of our guest and it helps you get the day started. I am pleased to inform you that the second part of our renovation will take place Jan-March 2013 and this will be our lobby renovation. With the lobby renovation we will be changing our food selections and improving what is being served to our guest. I do hope you will return to see the new food items as well the improved ones as well. Finally, the exterior of our hotel has raised concern and I can assure you that there are plans to fix and replace the exterior wood.

Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've been there many time. Very clean rooms, cleaner than some of the fancy expensive hotels. Just renovated all the rooms. Full kitchen (if you use it). Good breakfast. The mattresses are a little soft for me, I prefer harder mattresses (but it might good for you). Very polite staff. And for that price, it is all GOOD!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hello and thank you for those kind words about our hotel, We pride ourselves on the cleanliness and politeness of our staff. I would also like to thank you for the comparison of the more "expensive" hotels in our area, even though we are not one of those hotels we still like offer exceptional service and comfortable suites.

utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My family and I (husband and 3 adult kids) stayed here during our recent trip to Washington, D.C. We loved this hotel. The front desk, especially Anthony, were great to give us directions, tips, and a ride to the metro station. The breakfast was great and the evening reception saved us so much on food. We would definitely stay here again.

We had a car the whole time so we took the metro into D.C. 2 days and 2 days we drove because we were going to Arlington, the Udzy Air and Space Musuem, etc.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hello to my new friends from Utah, It was a pleasure to assist you and your family while you visited D.C. Here at the Hyatt house we only want what is best for our guest and I am so pleased that you took advantage of our complimentary breakfast and evening social hour. The staff and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back with us.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I stayed just one night at this hotel which is a former Summerfield Suites property. The room was a full suite with separate walk in closet, bathroom, bedroom, living room and kitchen. It was in good condition and the kitchen was adequately equipped. There was also a swimming pool and a small business center which was a life saver when my laptop crashed and would not restart. The staff were helpful and pleasant. There was a good, free breakfast and free wifi for those with a working computer. The tarriff is very reasonable for the standard of the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Shaune_Johnson, General Manager at HYATT house Gaithersburg, responded to this review, November 5, 2012

Our location is typically a positive for people staying here on extended stay as we are located in a nice residential area away from areas that may be noisier for our guests. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future.

Many thanks,
Shaune Johnson
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We have been in the DC area shopping for houses and needed a place with a kitchen to accommodate the needs of our 2 year old son. We tried 2 places before we were lucky enough to locate the Hyatt House. Each unit is a small apartment with it's own entrance, which was huge for us with a baby. The serve breakfast and dinner, there is a pool and a basketball court, plenty of free parking, free internet, and the staff could not have been any more helpful. There is a grocery store literally across the street, so you can stock up your kitchen. The king size bed felt great, it was clean and modern. I really can't say enough. It was perfect for us, and an extremely good price. I know we will have to travel back to the area, and we won't hesitate to book there again.
My only issue was I did not find it sooner, as in...it did not come up the first few times I searched for executive suites in Google. I hope they advertise more robustly, because it's a great place.

Room Tip: The have 3 levels, so if you are lugging a lot of stuff, I suggest a bottom floor, close to the cour...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review, I am glad you found us but also wish you found us earlier. The hotel has made a lot of improvements over the past year and we will continue to make more. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to having you again in the near future.

Many thanks,
Shaune Johnson

Been to HYATT house Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!