“First Timers” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Melting Pot - Gaithersburg is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #62 of 275 Restaurants in Gaithersburg
Cuisines: Swiss, Fondue
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Shady Grove Rd
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“First Timers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a new experience. Since the kids were out we decided to do something that everyone was telling us about. It was so amazing. I will definitely go back on a special occasion.

Visited June 2013

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Very Good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

It has become a tradition in our house to go to The Melting Pot after school lets out. The service is always wonderful, and with a reservation we get seated right away. Our waiter was attentive and very friendly. The food was great, there was definitely something for all tastes. My son (age 10) is a very picky eater, but coming here allows him to dictate what he eats and he loves it. The chocolate is the best part! Love it here, highly recommended.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Consistent and tasty, but a bit expensive. For the fondue lover”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

So, if you "must" have fondue, this is a great place. The cheese is great. The food is fresh and the chocolate is excellent. The downsides: the service is SLOW ... near impossible to get out of there under 2 to 2.5 hours. The wait staff is great, but for some reason everything goes glacially. So not ideal with younger kids. And, it is pricey. Way too expensive. Food is fine but not so great to justify the dollars. But for the celebration, it is what it is.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I just walked in the door from a dinner with a group of 8. We did make reservations which were held on a credit card. 3 of our group arrived and got seated as the other 5 were delayed. Upon arriving and checking in with reception the lady knew where the remainder of our group was and asked a man to seat us. He looked at us and walked right passed us, came around and did the same thing. I had to call a person already seated to come and get us.

Food: cheese was good. All of us agreed the spinach cheese was the best. The regular cheddar had to much of a beer flavoring. I had a salad. It was good but I wasn't given a dressing choice. I had a problem with the meat. Yes, some people might like cooking their own food and seeing it bloody and raw beforehand but I did not. I knew we had to cook it but I didn't think about the blood. I was totally turned off. We shared a s'mores, banana foster, and regular chocolate for dessert. They were all ok. Very very sweet.

Restaurant: dark and possibly romantic, bathrooms clean, customers were quiet minus two who had to much to drink at the bar. Overall clean. I did notice one girl at the bar in jean shorts and flip flops would be called upon to help set tables once in awhile. I didn't know if she was a Relative or an off the clock employee helping but it was odd.

Staff/customer service: our waiter was nice and polite but I think he could have helped a little more. 6 of our 8 had never been here before and he didn't explain things well. He didn't inform us we were to be charged per head for cheese instead of per bowl. My husband and I shared a 4 corse meal including cheese, one salad, meat, and dessert. When we got the bill we were changed extra for another person eating the cheese. We informed Him beforehand we wanted to share everything and one portion would have been fine. This also happened with the dessert. For the prices they charged they should be clearly listed or the menu done differently. We paid with tip 75.00 for two people to share what should have been a 37.00 meal for one.

I would go back BUT I would only order the cheese dish. I could do much more with the money I paid to cook my own food.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Fondue Is Not Our Thing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

It was my friend's birthday and he was always curious about "The Melting Pot." In fact, we were supposed to go there a month before his birthday but he had an emergency and had to leave the country.
It's a bit expensive if you get the 4-course meal but it's a birthday celebration so what the heck! The host and server were both very nice. We've never been here and the only fondue I had ever had in the past was dessert. There were four of us so there were two fondue pots on our table. We were told we could have two cheeses. We chose the "Traditional Swiss Cheese Fondue" and the "Wisconsin Trio Cheese Fondue." Somehow the white wine and sherry just didn't suit all our taste. None of us liked it when we love cheese! I love gruyere and Wisconsin cheese! I can eat parmesan cheese every day.
Then we had our salad. Two of us chose the "Melting Pot House Salad" and the other chose the "Caesar Salad." It was ok but I prefer Fontina Grill's salad anytime because the lettuce is always so fresh and crunchy.
The third course was the main entree. We all had the Fondue Delight because we all love lobsters, shrimp, filet mignon. The thing about us is that we like our steak sizzling, medium rare please. I know this is fondue and we need to dip it into the pot. But we don't like having to do it ourselves. We want to be pampered where it's placed on our plates. And be able to talk instead of watching if the food is cooked yet.
The fourth course is dessert. We were given a plate of marshmallows, rice crispies, cheesecake, strawberries, very rich chocolate cake. We chose the white chocolate dip and chocolate. I think I can like this but I have to be cautious because I'm borderline diabetic. The others found it too sweet.
When I read the reviews, people who have been here keeps coming back. So I want to be fare. That night, we want to be wined and dined if you know what I mean. We could have stayed home and done a hot pot party. It would be the same. You cook and put the food in the pot.
The server was very nice and I did give him a good tip despite my dissatisfaction. It's just us folks!

Everyone should try something even once. And if it's not for you, you don't go back. If it's for you, just keep going back. We all have different taste and most people who went here loved it!

• Visited May 2013