“My intro to mild Indian cuisine” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“My intro to mild Indian cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

My Indian friends asked me to dinner at Minerva. I told them I couln't eat spicy food - and they said - no worries. They odered many dishes without spice. A feast arrived and lo and behold, butter chicken, garlic nam bread and a mango lassie were among my favorites, Can't wait to return. Delicious!!!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars

Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Excellent food variety at Minerva”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I use to go on Fridays and they have excellent food variety, south indian, punjabi etc. In weekdays they have less variety though.

Visited September 2013
Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
“Best Indian Buffet in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I have eaten at Minerva Gaithersburg twice in the last month forlunch - once on a weekday at noon, once on a Saturday at 2. The variety is outstanding - at least 4-6 vegetarian dishes and 6+ meat dishes. Saturday mguest and I had outstanding pepper chicken, goat curry, lamb biryani, daal, something resembling Bengan Bharta (egglplant) a spinach dish (not Saag - they used a different name), something like Aloo Gobi (cauliflower). And a shrimp curry. The only thing that was not exceptional was the butter chicken - which was only "good". The restaurant is large and airy - you get your own plate and silverware at the buffet. I think it was $14 per person. Great Raita and chutney - and 3 breads - naan, pouri and something that reminded me of Dosas.
Filled with Indian customers.
Now the negative - Saturday arriving at 2PM they were out of several dishes and they did not refill. But when there are at least 16 choices is it so bad if you only get to choose from 12? This problem did not exist on the Friday that I went.
This may be the best Indian buffet I ever had outside of Mumbai...

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
Las
“Great Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I was traveling for business and the hotel that I stayed (Comfort Inn), highly recommended the place. 5 of us went to try it and we absolutely enjoyed the food. The atmosphere was typical ethnic surrounding, but it was cozy. The location is in a dull shopping center, but it works for them. The food that I ordered was Paneer Thika Masala and Naan. I almost finished it all by myself...which means it was awesome.

Visited September 2013
Adamstown, Maryland
“Tasty but lacking in professionalism”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and I had an early dinner at this restaurant. We found the food to be quite good, for the most part, but there were some unprofessional aspects to the service and food presentation that would make me hesitate to return. When we walked in, at least 3 other tables had customers already, but the restaurant did not seem quite ready to be open. One server was running a loud vacuum around, and the televisions were on a soccer game (later changed to Indian MTV, somewhat more appropriate). We had vegetable samosa as an appetizer, and while the samosa was very good, it was served on limp lettuce that looked like it had been sitting out for hours. Our main courses (chicken tikka masala and navaratan korma) were quite delicious. But when our waiter brought them to our table, I was grossed out to see his finger actually touching the food over the side of the brass serving dish. He should be trained to hold the dishes so this does not happen. I also saw another waiter brush by a customer who was just being seated, forcing the customer to move out of his way quickly. On a final note I saw that the marked emergency exit to the restaurant was blocked by a booth with table and benches, something I don't think would be considered up to code.

• Visited September 2013