“Excellent food variety at Minerva” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Buffet
Dining options: Buffet
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Excellent food variety at Minerva”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I use to go on Fridays and they have excellent food variety, south indian, punjabi etc. In weekdays they have less variety though.

Visited September 2013

75% Recommend
Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
“Best Indian Buffet in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I have eaten at Minerva Gaithersburg twice in the last month forlunch - once on a weekday at noon, once on a Saturday at 2. The variety is outstanding - at least 4-6 vegetarian dishes and 6+ meat dishes. Saturday mguest and I had outstanding pepper chicken, goat curry, lamb biryani, daal, something resembling Bengan Bharta (egglplant) a spinach dish (not Saag - they used a different name), something like Aloo Gobi (cauliflower). And a shrimp curry. The only thing that was not exceptional was the butter chicken - which was only "good". The restaurant is large and airy - you get your own plate and silverware at the buffet. I think it was $14 per person. Great Raita and chutney - and 3 breads - naan, pouri and something that reminded me of Dosas.
Filled with Indian customers.
Now the negative - Saturday arriving at 2PM they were out of several dishes and they did not refill. But when there are at least 16 choices is it so bad if you only get to choose from 12? This problem did not exist on the Friday that I went.
This may be the best Indian buffet I ever had outside of Mumbai...

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Las
“Great Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I was traveling for business and the hotel that I stayed (Comfort Inn), highly recommended the place. 5 of us went to try it and we absolutely enjoyed the food. The atmosphere was typical ethnic surrounding, but it was cozy. The location is in a dull shopping center, but it works for them. The food that I ordered was Paneer Thika Masala and Naan. I almost finished it all by myself...which means it was awesome.

Visited September 2013
Adamstown, Maryland
“Tasty but lacking in professionalism”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and I had an early dinner at this restaurant. We found the food to be quite good, for the most part, but there were some unprofessional aspects to the service and food presentation that would make me hesitate to return. When we walked in, at least 3 other tables had customers already, but the restaurant did not seem quite ready to be open. One server was running a loud vacuum around, and the televisions were on a soccer game (later changed to Indian MTV, somewhat more appropriate). We had vegetable samosa as an appetizer, and while the samosa was very good, it was served on limp lettuce that looked like it had been sitting out for hours. Our main courses (chicken tikka masala and navaratan korma) were quite delicious. But when our waiter brought them to our table, I was grossed out to see his finger actually touching the food over the side of the brass serving dish. He should be trained to hold the dishes so this does not happen. I also saw another waiter brush by a customer who was just being seated, forcing the customer to move out of his way quickly. On a final note I saw that the marked emergency exit to the restaurant was blocked by a booth with table and benches, something I don't think would be considered up to code.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Crowded During Lunch - It Must Be Good Indian Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

My friend called and wanted to have lunch at 12:30 near our place of work. We both work near Shady Grove Blvd and I suggested we eat at an Indian buffet restaurant at the corner of Shady Grove and 355 since it's popular here at work for birthday celebrations.

We both arrived at the same time and the parking lot was full but two cars came out and we were able to park. When we got to Minerva, the place was already full but the waiter found us a table for two. Somehow, that tells me that the Indian food here has to be good. If it was empty or not so full at 12:30 p.m., I'd be concerned. I prefer restaurants that have a line and you have to wait for a table rather than I can select from the empty tables.

We immediately went for the buffet but noticed that everything was labeled in Indian dishes and since I am adventurous in food, I thought I'd just sample a little bit first and looked at the other people in line who were Indians and also got what they took. Since this is their food and they are familiar with it and could be regular customers there who have eaten their food, they must know what they're doing. It's just that we're not really familiar with Indian food especially a buffet restaurant. There was one dish that was marked "fruit dessert" so we knew that was for dessert.

As I said I tried to follow what most had on their plates but just a little bit to taste and not waste food. There is a sign there on the wall that cautions you about wastefulness. It's buffet anyway and you can eat as much food as you want. Just be cautious that you don't take too much that you can't consume. There's so much hunger in the world so we should do our part in our own little way. We're lucky that we have an abundance of food here in the USA.

When we got to our table, we started taste testing and unfortunately I don't know what these dishes are called. But we had this fried crunchy paper thin potato which was delicious. I think their bread is called naan and one guy took 4 of it so it must be good. I took only one (1) and realized why he took 4. That bread was just my type of bread. Later my friend and I took more. We also had the tandoori chicken, green beans with lima beans, goat, curry, some other dishes that I really don't know what it's called. As I said, it was not in English. But I'm not complaining since the taste for all the dishes was good. Not really used to eating goat and we thought it had a different smell, but maybe it's supposed to be that way. Indian sauces are so flavorful that you can mix it with rice and bread. I think this is my favorite part!

We had the fruit salad dessert which had pineapple and papaya. It had a very light and refreshing yellow looking dressing. We really liked it so we asked the server what it was. He said it was made from mango and ice cream. He's not Indian so I don't know if he was right. Later I googled it and found that it was made from milk and custard powder. Very easy recipe but I'll have to find the custard powder.

That night, my neighbor brought me dinner of baked ribs, warm bread, corn, and fresh fruits. So I remembered our fruit salad dessert and I just came from my daily afternoon walk. I decided to make a fruit salad with half and half milk and vanilla ice cream. It was easy to make! This is my kind of recipe.

I quickly sent a text to my friend who had lunch with me at Minerva and told her what I just ate. She said "Cool. I'll do it too!"

• Visited August 2013