“Crowded During Lunch - It Must Be Good Indian Food” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Buffet
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Buffet
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Crowded During Lunch - It Must Be Good Indian Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

My friend called and wanted to have lunch at 12:30 near our place of work. We both work near Shady Grove Blvd and I suggested we eat at an Indian buffet restaurant at the corner of Shady Grove and 355 since it's popular here at work for birthday celebrations.

We both arrived at the same time and the parking lot was full but two cars came out and we were able to park. When we got to Minerva, the place was already full but the waiter found us a table for two. Somehow, that tells me that the Indian food here has to be good. If it was empty or not so full at 12:30 p.m., I'd be concerned. I prefer restaurants that have a line and you have to wait for a table rather than I can select from the empty tables.

We immediately went for the buffet but noticed that everything was labeled in Indian dishes and since I am adventurous in food, I thought I'd just sample a little bit first and looked at the other people in line who were Indians and also got what they took. Since this is their food and they are familiar with it and could be regular customers there who have eaten their food, they must know what they're doing. It's just that we're not really familiar with Indian food especially a buffet restaurant. There was one dish that was marked "fruit dessert" so we knew that was for dessert.

As I said I tried to follow what most had on their plates but just a little bit to taste and not waste food. There is a sign there on the wall that cautions you about wastefulness. It's buffet anyway and you can eat as much food as you want. Just be cautious that you don't take too much that you can't consume. There's so much hunger in the world so we should do our part in our own little way. We're lucky that we have an abundance of food here in the USA.

When we got to our table, we started taste testing and unfortunately I don't know what these dishes are called. But we had this fried crunchy paper thin potato which was delicious. I think their bread is called naan and one guy took 4 of it so it must be good. I took only one (1) and realized why he took 4. That bread was just my type of bread. Later my friend and I took more. We also had the tandoori chicken, green beans with lima beans, goat, curry, some other dishes that I really don't know what it's called. As I said, it was not in English. But I'm not complaining since the taste for all the dishes was good. Not really used to eating goat and we thought it had a different smell, but maybe it's supposed to be that way. Indian sauces are so flavorful that you can mix it with rice and bread. I think this is my favorite part!

We had the fruit salad dessert which had pineapple and papaya. It had a very light and refreshing yellow looking dressing. We really liked it so we asked the server what it was. He said it was made from mango and ice cream. He's not Indian so I don't know if he was right. Later I googled it and found that it was made from milk and custard powder. Very easy recipe but I'll have to find the custard powder.

That night, my neighbor brought me dinner of baked ribs, warm bread, corn, and fresh fruits. So I remembered our fruit salad dessert and I just came from my daily afternoon walk. I decided to make a fruit salad with half and half milk and vanilla ice cream. It was easy to make! This is my kind of recipe.

I quickly sent a text to my friend who had lunch with me at Minerva and told her what I just ate. She said "Cool. I'll do it too!"

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Rockville, Maryland
“Very good indian food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We found the restaurant on tripadvisor. Close to our hotel and tired it seemed like a good idea, and indeed it was. Great food and very good service. The tase of my Chicken ginger was one of the best I have tried. We also liked the fact that we got canned soda instead of the mix with tap water that tastes like cloride.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
SINGAPORE
“Nice Indian food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Among the best Indian places in the area. The ambience is average - not very trendy. The food however is tasty and flavorful. The fried fish, saag chicken, daal and chole bhature are excellent. Reasonably priced.

Visited July 2013
Mangalore
“The best Indian Buffet lunch you can Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

My brother in law took to me to this restaurant and my first thought was Indian buffet on a holiday to US?

But i was dumb struck with the food that was displayed as a part of buffet lunch...

To start off with...I first tried all the chutney with salads, Okra fry, chicken Tandoori.. and the first thing that came into my mind was " this is better than what we get back in India". Even the main course like shrimp Kadaai, Chicken pepper fry, butter chicken with Mutton biriyani was outstanding.

If you are planning to take you friends/relatives to give thier a taste bud a good experience, i would highly recommend you to take them to the afternoon buffet.

I ended up going to this restaurant 3 times in my 2 week stay in Gaithersburg. Everytime i visited this place, the food just got better.. wish we had such a fine dining experience back in India.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
North Potomac, Maryland, United States
“Very good first impression”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I have lived in the area for a number of years but I have never eaten here. Had some overseas guests and I decided to try this restaurant. Went to the lunch buffet on Saturday and I was very impressed with the quality of the food. It was very delicious and the place was very clean though it was busy. Would definitely recommend this place. Value for money.

• Visited May 2013