“Convenient for the area but not for DC” 3 of 5 stars

Special Price
3-Night Stays: Save 15%
Ranked #9 of 15 hotels in Gaithersburg
Austin, Texas
“Convenient for the area but not for DC”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We thought it would be easier to get into DC (fully expecting a 45 min metro ride) based on a phone conversation with the front desk, but it was not. However, if you have a car (we did) you can drive to the metro station. The bonus was the shopping area within walking distance to the hotel had many shops and restaurants of various prices and styles. If you want the pool, note that it is only open at night. The property shows its age but is very clean.

94 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Asheville, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed for 5 nights whilst touring around. A good central location with easy access to all main arteries. Rooms were well kept and was quiet. Enjoyed the standard layout of buffet breakfast with all choices well stocked whenever time you came. Would stay there again

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Just wrapping up a 4 night stay from March 11-15th. It has been a pleasant time. Before I start, let me say that all hotels should provide free parking, coffee and toast, and some type of whirlpool, pool, or sauna. I never stay at places that don't offer these amenities. The welcome was great. When I asked for a more reasonable rate, because I was staying 4 nights, I got one. Was it the best rate? No. I feel that the $169 rate that I had to pay was ridiculously high for the 3 star quality of this hotel. I was told it had corporate rates since it was in a corporate area, and I was not staying on a weekend which would be cheaper. However, I decided to just look for something with a better rate the next time. The hotel is newer and well kept. Indoors and out was very clean and presentable. Room was a suite with 2 queen beds, Loveseat and chair, work desk, small kitchen area. Bathroom had toilet and tub/shower, sink was separate and outside from the shower. Not a lot of counter space on the sink, but it was okay. Beds were firm and pillowtop comfortable. The light in the tub area went out one morning and was changed by evening without me making a report about it(kudos to housekeeping for taking care of the problem.) The TV was flatscreen and had the usual cable channels. You could not see it from the sofa or chair. Had to lay on the bed to watch it. The breakfast provided was typical of these hotels. I agree with other poster about the sausage(yuk). Every morning I had eggs, yogurt, coffee, and bagel with cream cheese. These were excellent. Every evening I used the pool and whirlpool. This area was never crowded. One night 4 children for 30 minutes. Another night a dad and his son. Very relaxing warm pool water and hot whirlpool. Loved them both. Lifeguard on duty was an odd thing for me to see. In Indiana, hotels don't provide them, but Maryland and Virginia both seem to. I did not use the workout room, but I did look in. It had free weights, 2 treadmills, cycle, eliptical. Looked new and well kept. I had asked for a quiet room(I live on a farm out in the boonies where it is silent at night) and I got one on the 6th floor, away from the highway. I slept great every night, not hearing anything. My only complaint would be the prices charged, both room rate and the small snack shop. 20 ounce pepsi was $2.75. I only had 2 in 4 days. If the room rate had been $105-$130 per night, I would have been a happy camper and likely to return. They could have given me this rate if they wanted to, but I guess they don't need to count on repeat family customers for their business, when they have corporations who will pay the top rate. If you are looking for a good rate, check out the Manassas, VA area. Gaithersburg is a nice place, but won't be back.

Room Tip: Rooms away from 270 are quietest. Higher up are quieter than lower.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ginger B, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Gaithersburg, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Springhill Suites. Thank you for all of your positive and specific comments. Our pricing tiers are competitive within our area, and we are glad to have been able to offer you the discount we had available at that time. We appreciate the time our guests take to help us improve our business.

Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel is very reasonably priced and clean. We spent A LOT of time waiting for the elevator (had a knee injury or would have opted for the steps). Only one was operational and was used by cleaning staff and guests - - during peak checkout it took at least 10 minutes. The breakfast service was unusual for a SpringHill Suites. By 8:45 they ran out of nearly everything except oatmeal. When several people asked for more cereal, they were told there was no more. Interestingly about 20 minutes later someone "found" more of just about everything and brought it out.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your comments on the Springhill Suites. We do apologize for the inconvenience of the out of service elevator, it was a mechanical issue and has since been corrected. We have recorded your feedback regarding breakfast and will use it to improve the overall experience for our future guests.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We had two connecting rooms for one night so that our daughter could have a sleepover with friends to celebrate her birthday and enjoy the indoor pool. Overall our experience was positive, the room was clean and spacious enough, with small fridge and microwave oven. we brought sodas and water, and had pizza delivered in. Each room had a large flat panel tv and free wifi.

conveniently located very close to shopping centers and restaurants but tucked away enough that it was quiet.

Staff was friendly and accomodating.

the only negative is the free breakfast. food was really not that good. the pastries did not taste fresh, very few selections, pancakes had no flavor, and the eggs were dry and really didn't taste like eggs. That only the thing that was passable were the boxed cereals. I ended up going to the krispy kreme (only a mile away!) and getting donuts for breakfast. I would suggest that the hotel make a small investment in 2 or 3 waffle makers where you can make freshly made waffles, and offering freshly made eggs and/or bacon or sausage. improve the selection of pastries. I'm not expecting a four-star gourmet meal but providing a good breakfast wouldn't take a lot of extra effort and the food that was offered reflected negatively on what otherwise was a good overnight experience.

I would have given this a "very good" rating otherwise.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback, we are happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay overall. Our complimentary breakfast buffet is in the process of being completely revamped for the Springhill Suites brand. We would like to invite you back to stay with us again in the future. Thank you for choosing our Gaithersburg Springhill for your special celebration,

Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed here one night in mid January. It was easy to get to, there wasn't a lot of highway noise, the corridors and guests were quiet. Breakfast was adequate with a few hot items, cereals, breads, oatmeal and yogurts. The little Market place had snack items and some microwavable meals.

We had a king studio suite, but I could swear the bed was a queen, not a king! But it was comfortable. The room was a little tight for the two of us, but fine for a night. There was a small closet to hang our formal clothing, but little room to rest our suitcase. Everything worked fine and we would likely return again if it was just the two of us. I wouldn't want to put a kid and their junk in there with us.

I didn't check out the fitness room or take notice of the pool. It was a quick trip.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in a great location, close to DC and an outdoor shopping/entertainment complex. Very clean, nice big rooms, my only issue was the AC unit would constantly turn on and off and my lord was it loud, it woke me up constantly, i think it was particular to that room only so my advice would be to check it out for about 20 minutes and if it is too loud request a another room

• Stayed September 2012

Been to SpringHill Suites Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!