“Nice place to stay.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
Indiana
“Nice place to stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Just wrapping up a 4 night stay from March 11-15th. It has been a pleasant time. Before I start, let me say that all hotels should provide free parking, coffee and toast, and some type of whirlpool, pool, or sauna. I never stay at places that don't offer these amenities. The welcome was great. When I asked for a more reasonable rate, because I was staying 4 nights, I got one. Was it the best rate? No. I feel that the $169 rate that I had to pay was ridiculously high for the 3 star quality of this hotel. I was told it had corporate rates since it was in a corporate area, and I was not staying on a weekend which would be cheaper. However, I decided to just look for something with a better rate the next time. The hotel is newer and well kept. Indoors and out was very clean and presentable. Room was a suite with 2 queen beds, Loveseat and chair, work desk, small kitchen area. Bathroom had toilet and tub/shower, sink was separate and outside from the shower. Not a lot of counter space on the sink, but it was okay. Beds were firm and pillowtop comfortable. The light in the tub area went out one morning and was changed by evening without me making a report about it(kudos to housekeeping for taking care of the problem.) The TV was flatscreen and had the usual cable channels. You could not see it from the sofa or chair. Had to lay on the bed to watch it. The breakfast provided was typical of these hotels. I agree with other poster about the sausage(yuk). Every morning I had eggs, yogurt, coffee, and bagel with cream cheese. These were excellent. Every evening I used the pool and whirlpool. This area was never crowded. One night 4 children for 30 minutes. Another night a dad and his son. Very relaxing warm pool water and hot whirlpool. Loved them both. Lifeguard on duty was an odd thing for me to see. In Indiana, hotels don't provide them, but Maryland and Virginia both seem to. I did not use the workout room, but I did look in. It had free weights, 2 treadmills, cycle, eliptical. Looked new and well kept. I had asked for a quiet room(I live on a farm out in the boonies where it is silent at night) and I got one on the 6th floor, away from the highway. I slept great every night, not hearing anything. My only complaint would be the prices charged, both room rate and the small snack shop. 20 ounce pepsi was $2.75. I only had 2 in 4 days. If the room rate had been $105-$130 per night, I would have been a happy camper and likely to return. They could have given me this rate if they wanted to, but I guess they don't need to count on repeat family customers for their business, when they have corporations who will pay the top rate. If you are looking for a good rate, check out the Manassas, VA area. Gaithersburg is a nice place, but won't be back.

Room Tip: Rooms away from 270 are quietest. Higher up are quieter than lower.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ginger B, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Gaithersburg, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Springhill Suites. Thank you for all of your positive and specific comments. Our pricing tiers are competitive within our area, and we are glad to have been able to offer you the discount we had available at that time. We appreciate the time our guests take to help us improve our business.

Ginger Bash

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel is very reasonably priced and clean. We spent A LOT of time waiting for the elevator (had a knee injury or would have opted for the steps). Only one was operational and was used by cleaning staff and guests - - during peak checkout it took at least 10 minutes. The breakfast service was unusual for a SpringHill Suites. By 8:45 they ran out of nearly everything except oatmeal. When several people asked for more cereal, they were told there was no more. Interestingly about 20 minutes later someone "found" more of just about everything and brought it out.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your comments on the Springhill Suites. We do apologize for the inconvenience of the out of service elevator, it was a mechanical issue and has since been corrected. We have recorded your feedback regarding breakfast and will use it to improve the overall experience for our future guests.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We had two connecting rooms for one night so that our daughter could have a sleepover with friends to celebrate her birthday and enjoy the indoor pool. Overall our experience was positive, the room was clean and spacious enough, with small fridge and microwave oven. we brought sodas and water, and had pizza delivered in. Each room had a large flat panel tv and free wifi.

conveniently located very close to shopping centers and restaurants but tucked away enough that it was quiet.

Staff was friendly and accomodating.

the only negative is the free breakfast. food was really not that good. the pastries did not taste fresh, very few selections, pancakes had no flavor, and the eggs were dry and really didn't taste like eggs. That only the thing that was passable were the boxed cereals. I ended up going to the krispy kreme (only a mile away!) and getting donuts for breakfast. I would suggest that the hotel make a small investment in 2 or 3 waffle makers where you can make freshly made waffles, and offering freshly made eggs and/or bacon or sausage. improve the selection of pastries. I'm not expecting a four-star gourmet meal but providing a good breakfast wouldn't take a lot of extra effort and the food that was offered reflected negatively on what otherwise was a good overnight experience.

I would have given this a "very good" rating otherwise.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback, we are happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay overall. Our complimentary breakfast buffet is in the process of being completely revamped for the Springhill Suites brand. We would like to invite you back to stay with us again in the future. Thank you for choosing our Gaithersburg Springhill for your special celebration,

Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed here one night in mid January. It was easy to get to, there wasn't a lot of highway noise, the corridors and guests were quiet. Breakfast was adequate with a few hot items, cereals, breads, oatmeal and yogurts. The little Market place had snack items and some microwavable meals.

We had a king studio suite, but I could swear the bed was a queen, not a king! But it was comfortable. The room was a little tight for the two of us, but fine for a night. There was a small closet to hang our formal clothing, but little room to rest our suitcase. Everything worked fine and we would likely return again if it was just the two of us. I wouldn't want to put a kid and their junk in there with us.

I didn't check out the fitness room or take notice of the pool. It was a quick trip.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in a great location, close to DC and an outdoor shopping/entertainment complex. Very clean, nice big rooms, my only issue was the AC unit would constantly turn on and off and my lord was it loud, it woke me up constantly, i think it was particular to that room only so my advice would be to check it out for about 20 minutes and if it is too loud request a another room

• Stayed September 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for almost a full month. I stayed in three rooms. The first room was a double. It was okay, but the sheets were flimsy and the beds were awful. I then stayed in a king room. I got lucky and had a real comforter with duvet. It was great. The last room was renovated, but although the color palettes was much more modern, the design was lacking in several key areas. The toilets in each room were all powerful and very good. Same goes for the showers. No low flow foolishness here. Water pressure allowed for use of massage features on showerhead if that gives a better reference.

DOUBLE ROOM - UNRENOVATED
Fifth floor room facing the street was very loud. Add to the fact that there was construction every morning starting @ 7 am and it was annoying. Housekeeping staff is pretty loud in the morning. And I'm a city girl aka not a light sleeper at all. You can't see the TV from the sitting area, which makes it useless. The whole room is oddly shaped. The sink area next to the bathroom is very small, so if you need space, you're out of luck. The fridge IS NOT A FRIDGE. It's a cooler. And YES! There is a difference. I had several ice buckets in my room because the fridge would not get cold. And you could not adjust the temps either. There is a nice counter area for if you want to eat in your room and have a prep station. The sink is very small in the kitchenette area.

KING ROOM - UNRENOVATED
This was a decent room because you could see the TV from both the bedroom area and small living room area. Same odd setup as the double room, but at least you could see the TV from both areas. Same problem with the fridge. Real comforter with duvet was a nice touch. I think it was a one off, but I enjoyed it immensely. In fact, when I switched to the renovated room, I took the comforter with me! LOL!

KING ROOM - RENOVATED
On the fifth floor, there are some renovated rooms. The decor is much brighter. And the sofa is nice and long and semi-comfortable with a sofa bed. The sink in the kitchenette area is very big and there is quartz counterpart. The microwave is upgraded with defrost functions, etc. There is also a glass fridge. It does keep things cold, but it was hard to regulate the temp because even on the lowest setting, it was freezing my drinks. For some reason, this room only has ONE DRAWER! And it is small. You can fit socks and maybe some underwear in it. Otherwise, you have to keep all your stuff in your suitcase. That's fine for a night, but if you are staying a couple of weeks, it gets annoying. And the closet is small and there is nowhere to put your suitcase out in the room on the stand. The bathroom area has a great updated mirror, but the lighting is very low. And there are no towel racks in the sink area. It's just odd. The desk is nice and big, but had no drawers. The A/C heating unit was not properly insulated and therefore you could feel and hear the cold air @ night. I would say that this room was designed by a straight man.

FREE BREAKFAST
Was awful and limited. They only served turkey sausage that is boiled. It is beyond disgusting. And the ham-like item is even worse. They only have a very limited bread selection and the juice is too sugary and just gross. They did offer waffles occasionally, but they weren't very good either. There is no room service. And The Market to buy snacks was highway robbery.

LAUNDRY FACILITIES
Over-priced @ $2.00/load for wash and dry. It says 30 minutes, but the washer only ran for 20 minutes. The washers didn't get your clothes clean at all. And one of the dryers doesn't even dry your clothes. The hot water cycle doesn't actually use hot water. Go to Laundromat nearby. (I did my @ a nearby hotel that I frequent that costs only a dollar/load and gets your clothes very clean.)

GYM/POOL
Gym is very small, but has updated equipment. Pool is good size. Not enough room to swim laps, but nice for families with kids. Doesn't open until 5 pm during weekdays, but on weekends it opens @ 10 AM.

CUSTOMER SERVICE
Excellent. Addressed issues quickly and efficiently. I really like everyone I met. Top-notch staff.

HOUSEKEEPING
Was very spotty and inconsistent with level of the cleanliness and thoroughness. I had to empty my own trash on several occasions. I had to specifically ask for toilet paper and to have my room cleaned on several occasions as well. Towels were cheap. And the sheets were wrinkled way too big for the bed.

OVERALL
This place actually deserves a three star rating unlike let's say, The Best Western Plus in Rockville that is a dump beyond all imagination, but is also three stars. If you have a choice, stay here instead.

The hotel is close to the Rio, which has second rates shops, upscale chain restaurants, a Target and a Kohl’s. Buy your snacks @ Target and skip the hotel option. There is also a movie theater and Zips $1.99 dry cleaner nearby. All places are walking within distance from the hotel. There are also Ride-On buses 54 and 74 that will take you Rockville and Shady Grove Metro Stations respectively. The 74 also goes to Germantown. The 54 takes you to Lake Forest Mall in Gaithersburg. Free parking everywhere makes travels easy. You are minutes from 270, which is a nightmare highway for travel during rush hours. Avoid it at all costs.

Room Tip: Odd number rooms face 270 a major highway that is very noisy. Even number rooms face Washingtonian B...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Ginger B, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Gaithersburg, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Gaithersburg Springhill Suites for your extended stay. We appreciate you taking the time to provide such detailed and valuable feedback regarding your visit. Our Housekeeping Team would like to apologize for any drop in service during your stay. We have followed up with the staff our training sessions and shared your comments throughout. Regarding breakfast, we are happy to report that the Springhill Suites brand will soon debut a fresh new menu with expanded menu selections.

Once again, we value your opinions and thank you for your business.
Olympia, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I spent five nights at this hotel while in Gaithersburg on business. The rooms were comfortable and spacious. There was a nice desk to set up a laptop and spread out a file folder or two and the bar, sink and small refrigirator were also nice to have. I was pleased with the comfort of the beds, pillows and the quality of the televison. Wi-fi worked well and was free. The breakfast was ok and varied very little from day-to-day. There are an adequate number of nice resturants, shops and a movie theater about a half mile away. It was an easy walk and I felt safe. One issue is traffic noise. The rooms on the side facing the highway were predictably noisey. A few members of our group had to change rooms after a couple of nights. Fortunately I noticed the problem as soon as I walked in and the friendly staff at the front desk were able to place me in a different room. The hotel does not provide shuttle service to the metro or local airports so plan your travel in advance.

Room Tip: Ask for a room opposit the highway so you don't have to deal with the noise. I would stay there...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to SpringHill Suites Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!