“Decent mid-range hotel in good location” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Internet + Breakfast
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Decent mid-range hotel in good location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for almost a full month. I stayed in three rooms. The first room was a double. It was okay, but the sheets were flimsy and the beds were awful. I then stayed in a king room. I got lucky and had a real comforter with duvet. It was great. The last room was renovated, but although the color palettes was much more modern, the design was lacking in several key areas. The toilets in each room were all powerful and very good. Same goes for the showers. No low flow foolishness here. Water pressure allowed for use of massage features on showerhead if that gives a better reference.

DOUBLE ROOM - UNRENOVATED
Fifth floor room facing the street was very loud. Add to the fact that there was construction every morning starting @ 7 am and it was annoying. Housekeeping staff is pretty loud in the morning. And I'm a city girl aka not a light sleeper at all. You can't see the TV from the sitting area, which makes it useless. The whole room is oddly shaped. The sink area next to the bathroom is very small, so if you need space, you're out of luck. The fridge IS NOT A FRIDGE. It's a cooler. And YES! There is a difference. I had several ice buckets in my room because the fridge would not get cold. And you could not adjust the temps either. There is a nice counter area for if you want to eat in your room and have a prep station. The sink is very small in the kitchenette area.

KING ROOM - UNRENOVATED
This was a decent room because you could see the TV from both the bedroom area and small living room area. Same odd setup as the double room, but at least you could see the TV from both areas. Same problem with the fridge. Real comforter with duvet was a nice touch. I think it was a one off, but I enjoyed it immensely. In fact, when I switched to the renovated room, I took the comforter with me! LOL!

KING ROOM - RENOVATED
On the fifth floor, there are some renovated rooms. The decor is much brighter. And the sofa is nice and long and semi-comfortable with a sofa bed. The sink in the kitchenette area is very big and there is quartz counterpart. The microwave is upgraded with defrost functions, etc. There is also a glass fridge. It does keep things cold, but it was hard to regulate the temp because even on the lowest setting, it was freezing my drinks. For some reason, this room only has ONE DRAWER! And it is small. You can fit socks and maybe some underwear in it. Otherwise, you have to keep all your stuff in your suitcase. That's fine for a night, but if you are staying a couple of weeks, it gets annoying. And the closet is small and there is nowhere to put your suitcase out in the room on the stand. The bathroom area has a great updated mirror, but the lighting is very low. And there are no towel racks in the sink area. It's just odd. The desk is nice and big, but had no drawers. The A/C heating unit was not properly insulated and therefore you could feel and hear the cold air @ night. I would say that this room was designed by a straight man.

FREE BREAKFAST
Was awful and limited. They only served turkey sausage that is boiled. It is beyond disgusting. And the ham-like item is even worse. They only have a very limited bread selection and the juice is too sugary and just gross. They did offer waffles occasionally, but they weren't very good either. There is no room service. And The Market to buy snacks was highway robbery.

LAUNDRY FACILITIES
Over-priced @ $2.00/load for wash and dry. It says 30 minutes, but the washer only ran for 20 minutes. The washers didn't get your clothes clean at all. And one of the dryers doesn't even dry your clothes. The hot water cycle doesn't actually use hot water. Go to Laundromat nearby. (I did my @ a nearby hotel that I frequent that costs only a dollar/load and gets your clothes very clean.)

GYM/POOL
Gym is very small, but has updated equipment. Pool is good size. Not enough room to swim laps, but nice for families with kids. Doesn't open until 5 pm during weekdays, but on weekends it opens @ 10 AM.

CUSTOMER SERVICE
Excellent. Addressed issues quickly and efficiently. I really like everyone I met. Top-notch staff.

HOUSEKEEPING
Was very spotty and inconsistent with level of the cleanliness and thoroughness. I had to empty my own trash on several occasions. I had to specifically ask for toilet paper and to have my room cleaned on several occasions as well. Towels were cheap. And the sheets were wrinkled way too big for the bed.

OVERALL
This place actually deserves a three star rating unlike let's say, The Best Western Plus in Rockville that is a dump beyond all imagination, but is also three stars. If you have a choice, stay here instead.

The hotel is close to the Rio, which has second rates shops, upscale chain restaurants, a Target and a Kohl’s. Buy your snacks @ Target and skip the hotel option. There is also a movie theater and Zips $1.99 dry cleaner nearby. All places are walking within distance from the hotel. There are also Ride-On buses 54 and 74 that will take you Rockville and Shady Grove Metro Stations respectively. The 74 also goes to Germantown. The 54 takes you to Lake Forest Mall in Gaithersburg. Free parking everywhere makes travels easy. You are minutes from 270, which is a nightmare highway for travel during rush hours. Avoid it at all costs.

Room Tip: Odd number rooms face 270 a major highway that is very noisy. Even number rooms face Washingtonian B...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Ginger B, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Gaithersburg, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Gaithersburg Springhill Suites for your extended stay. We appreciate you taking the time to provide such detailed and valuable feedback regarding your visit. Our Housekeeping Team would like to apologize for any drop in service during your stay. We have followed up with the staff our training sessions and shared your comments throughout. Regarding breakfast, we are happy to report that the Springhill Suites brand will soon debut a fresh new menu with expanded menu selections.

Once again, we value your opinions and thank you for your business.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Olympia, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I spent five nights at this hotel while in Gaithersburg on business. The rooms were comfortable and spacious. There was a nice desk to set up a laptop and spread out a file folder or two and the bar, sink and small refrigirator were also nice to have. I was pleased with the comfort of the beds, pillows and the quality of the televison. Wi-fi worked well and was free. The breakfast was ok and varied very little from day-to-day. There are an adequate number of nice resturants, shops and a movie theater about a half mile away. It was an easy walk and I felt safe. One issue is traffic noise. The rooms on the side facing the highway were predictably noisey. A few members of our group had to change rooms after a couple of nights. Fortunately I noticed the problem as soon as I walked in and the friendly staff at the front desk were able to place me in a different room. The hotel does not provide shuttle service to the metro or local airports so plan your travel in advance.

Room Tip: Ask for a room opposit the highway so you don't have to deal with the noise. I would stay there...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Lower Burrell, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Only stayed one night and the only issue we had was with the heat/ac which was really noisy. It was difficult to get a goods night sleep and turning it off was not an option. Breakfast was ok, did not use the pool, but the mini-kitchen it always a plus even though we only used it to keep water cold. The room was larger than normal with a nice sitting area. We would stay here again but I would probably check first to see if the above- mentioned problem was addressed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stayed here while playing weekend hockey games in Rockville, Maryland. The rooms were clean and spacious, and had free parking and free wi-fi. There was also breakfast included, and was good overall but the waffles were stale and some of the hot food was a bit cold. Also, like a lot of hotels I've stayed at, when the air conditioner kicked on it was really loud. Other than that, it was a good stay and I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

This is a nice hotel if you're looking for a larger than average room, decent breakfast, convenient location, at a good price. I always stay here when traveling to Gaithersburg for business, and the hotel is extremely convenient to GXS (across the parking lot).

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
rochester ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Our GPS had a little trouble locating the property, but once we were there it was a good spot. My request for foam pillows was not honored so I was a bit disappointed in that. The room was a good size and I appreciated the turkey sausage, eggs, and cereal options for breakfast. We arrived late, so a light dinner at the nearby Corner Bakery Cafe was convenient for us.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Etters, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed here on a short weekend trip to see the sights in Washington, D.C. We usually always stay at Marriott properties, and we are glad we chose this one. Not only did it have easy access to the Shady Grove Metro stop, but it was very close to shopping and dining in the other direction. We stayed here for two nights and enjoyed the jacuzzi spa and the breakfast. The room was clean and comfortable and we anticipate staying here or other properties in the future. The only down side was that I forgot to ask for foam pillows.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to SpringHill Suites Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!