“Very Comfortable Mid-Price Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save Big
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Frostburg
Washington, DC
“Very Comfortable Mid-Price Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

We were cross-country skiing in the area and wanted a comfortable, moderate priced hotel. This hotel fills that need admirably.

The beds are very comfortable, with a soft pillowtop-like top and firm underneath. The room has a microwave and a good size refrigerator. There is a good size flatscreen TV, an armoire and two low chests of drawers. Although I prefer a closet to an armoire, it met our needs for a weekend stay. There is only a desk chair, no sitting chair, but the desk chair is comfortable for working at the desk. They could have moved all the furniture about six feet towards the door and created enough room for a sitting area. That is the only major way the room could be improved. The wall heating unit kept the room warm even with it being 0 degrees outside although it was a bit on the noisy side, but not too bad.

The free breakfast buffet is better than most free breakfasts. There were waffle makers, biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, potato wedges, as well as the usual assortment of pastries, fruits, cereals, yogurt, and beverages. It is convenient, tasty, and filling.

There is an indoor pool and hot tub which can be good for sore legs after skiing. There is a small but pleasant lobby.

The staff are very nice. The woman taking care of the breakfast area offered to make me a waffle and gave suckers to my daughter. They have free cookies late in the day. They gave us an extra hour to check out.

While the hotel is very convenient, just half a mile off the interstate, there are very few restaurants or shops in the immediate area. There is a strip of family and fast food restaurants in La Vale 6 miles east along I-68. And it is only 8 miles from Cumberland which has a lot more to see and do. All in all a very good choice for this area or if you are passing through.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Beaver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010 via mobile

Booked this room the same day of arrival. Great, ez location from interstate, yet quite without road noise. Check in was a breeze as I expect with hhonors. The only complaint was the smell of the room. It was very clean yet smelled very off, like strong hair products.
Carolyn, the breakfast hostess was wonderful, and proud of her awards (she'll tell you)!

• Stayed December 2010
Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

This is a hotel located in a beautiful part of Maryland. It's clean, reasonable and the rooms are quite nice.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Milford, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

Made a reservation to stay here on our way to Washington, DC and it worked well. The hotel is like your "standard" Hampton Inn. Pulled in about 9:00 p.m. and check-in as usual was a breeze. Had a standard room with 2 double beds and maybe I'm wrong, but it seemed a little smaller than the usual Hampton Inn room. Perhaps my boys are just getting bigger and we take up more room. Room was clean and had a desk and a couple chairs to sit in. Worked well for what we were doing . . . just spending the night on the way to our destination. Beds were great as usual although we were over the pool and there was a slight smell of chlorine. Didn't take advantage but they had a nice looking pool and hot tub on the main floor. Breakfast area was a little small but it worked well and they had the typical hot and cold mix that Hampton offers. Staff was very friendly as I invaded their space at 5 am to sit down in the area and use my laptop while the rest of the family slept. They even brought some coffee out early for me. Would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

We booked this hotel for three nights, using points for one night.

The first night we got little sleep as the air conditioning unit seemed to cycle oddly - on/off/on .... off..... on/off/on. The bed was comfortable, though, with good linens.

The room and bathroom were both very clean.

First morning breakfast (eggs, sausage, bacon) was just OK. The powdered eggs were way too dry. Fresh fruit selection was good, though. Coffee is great!

Because we were in the area to help a friend with a collector-car project, we opted to use the door at the end of the hallway, rather than traipse through the lobby in our grubby, smelly clothes. Got back to the hotel about 6pm and our keycards didn't work. I was extremely embarrassed to have to go into the lobby in my state of greasy nastiness, and the desk clerk said they had to check us out and back in because we had used Honors points for the first night. OK - no biggee.

The second morning's breakfast was just a disaster. Eggs were NOT too dry - they were floating in water. I decided to make a waffle, and the breakfast hostess was nice enough to help me. However. Once I got my waffle out of the iron (it was pretty well stuck!) she came back over, carrying the rag she had been using to clean off tables. She put down the rag and PICKED UP MY WAFFLE and turned it over, using the same hand she'd been carrying the rag with. Oh.My.Gawd. I asked her why she did that and she said the waffle looked better that side up?!!?!?!? I threw the waffle in the trash - she offered to make me another one. I refused and had a couple of pieces of sausage for breakfast.

After our second day of the car project, we were even filthier and smellier than the first day. Got to the hotel. Key cards didn't work on the end door. So - AGAIN - I had to go into the lobby. I asked the desk clerk if we'd been checked out again. He looked at his computer screen, said "I don't know what happened," and re-coded our keycards, handing them back to me. No apology, no nothing.

Got up the last morning of our stay to find our bill under the door, charged to the OLD card we had on file.

That was the last straw, although I think the waffle-incident should have probably been the real deal-breaker here. Took the bill to the front desk, and when asked if we had enjoyed our stay, I told her honestly, that this was - in general - not a good stay. She comped one night of our stay, which was nice. We skipped breakfast that day - just grabbing coffee in our go-mugs.

The public areas of the hotel seem a bit worn, with stains on the carpet in the hallways. The pool area looked nice, but I didn't use it. The fitness room was almost always being used, and there is an on-site laundry. Burger King is next door. Good location for easy-on-easy-off the interstate.

I'm an honest reviewer, and I post both positive and negative reviews. My reviews always trend more toward the positive, and I would say this place would be fine for a one-night pass-though type stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
On The Road
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel 5+ times. It is always a great stay with no worries. The staff is very friendly, and always professional. One stay that was exceptional was when I was upgraded to a whirlpool suite for free! The hotel has never been 'full' on a night that I have stayed there. The hotel is very clean, very fresh, and very comfortable.
As other reviewers have said - you can't go wrong here!
There are a couple fast food places nearby, along with Frostburg State University, and a Sheetz less than a mile from the hotel.
There is a golf course right across from the hotel.
Western MD is beautiful in the Spring, Summer, and Fall - however- I do not suggest traveling through this area in the winter. Roads get icy very quickly - and when it starts snowing.... look out! They measure snow by the foot in the area a few times a year!
Only negative - I just wish the breakfast area were a little more inviting - it's small, and usually very crowded.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
McLean, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

Feels new and clean. Well maintained fitness room. Very nice pool and hot tub. Comfortable beds. Bathroom with no malfunctions. Plenty of parking. Burger King next door.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hampton Inn Frostburg? Share your experiences!