“Every detail perfect, every need anticipated, an eco-friendly home away from home.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Savage River Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Frostburg
Savage River Lodge
You added Savage River Lodge to your Saves list
1600 Mt. Aetna Road, Frostburg, MD 21532   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Frostburg B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

Just getting to SRL is enough to tell you you've entered an altogether different world, a little Shangri-La. The owners & staff had thought through every detail of their service. The cabins in the woods are quiet...comfortable...large...well-equipped...heavenly. The trails surrounding were abundant and supremely well taken care of. The food and service were excellent, responsive, unhurried. SRL is a high-end place, price-wise. But, when you think about it, the price is well worth it. We found the lodge after fleeing from another hotel which cost about 80% as much but provided 10% or less of the pleasure. The single night and day we spent there made the entire Labor Day weekend a getaway to remember. We will be back, again and again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

I hadn't had any time off in over a year - - I had been to SRL several years ago with a friend. I couldn't stop thinking about it lately, looking at their webpage while on a work conference call. After an 18 hour work day, I called the next morning to see if they had anything available over the long Labor Day weekend -- they did, after a cancellation earlier that same day.

I got there late Friday afternoon -- traffic was a drag on 70 but once I got on 68, it moved. Everything was perfect, the folks were nice, directed me to my cabin and had my dinner reservations set all four nights. The cabin is a bit rustic but it was really relaxing. There is no air conditioning but because the cabins are in the woods, leaving the windows open at night really cooled the place down, such that it was cool throughout each day. I liked not having a TV or radio, even though I brought a radio, I didn't use it all weekend. I read two books, and enjoyed the meals.

It is expensive, as is the food, but quite frankly, I think that helps set the bar. The wine selection was excellent but could use more beers on tap.

It was very relaxing, the food was good, and I got the rest I needed, so I would definitely recommend it and will go again!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Rockville, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

When I looked at the website it looked like everything we wanted for a relaxing weekend away. I was nervous after reading some of the reviews on trip advisor but decided to trust my instincts and give it a try.

So glad I did. It was absolutely paradise. Just what the doctor ordered. We were so relaxed we stayed in our rooms until noon both days we were there. The juice and muffins were enough to keep us snuggled in bed reading the paper and listening to the quiet patter of the rain.

The individual cabins were every bit as lovely as described. We had mentioned when we reserved that we were celebrating an anniversary and the owners left a little bottle of bubbly on the counter for our check in. It was a thoughtful and appreciated touch.

We ate at the restaurant for the rest of our meals. Dinners were especially delicious.

We love the friendliness of this type of accommodation but also like to have our space and privacy. The Lodge had this down to perfection. The staff were available and friendly if you needed anything but didn't hover or overstep our need for a private relaxing weekend away.

We had initially planned to do a bit of exploring around the Frostburg area but we loved the lodge so much we found ourselves content to spend our time there and take it easy (something we never do!!). We did the wine caching on site which was a ton of fun and a good way to explore the property.

Unfortunately we booked late and there were no more dog friendly cabins available but next time we will be sure to bring our girl. If your dog is yappy I would leave them at home. It is such a peaceful retreat, I can definitely see how some guests would be bothered by the disturbance of barking. We thoroughly loved the peace and quiet. There were quite a few dogs there who were loving the trails and the Saturday Yappy Hour. And of course, Koko and Karma were adorable. When we bring our girl we will definitely order one of the doggie dining selections.

What a find!!

All in all, a slice of paradise. We will be back......and soon!

Thanks!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Baltimore County, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

Savage River Lodge is nestled in the heart of one section of the Savage River State Forest in Western Maryland. The final portion of our journey consisted of driving about 1 1/2 miles on a packed gravel road surrounded by magnificent woods and fields. At the end of the drive, we were greeted by a beautiful, rustic, but modern lodge that sits on top of a beautiful green meadow where deer enjoy feasting on the luscious green grass. Right away I knew that we had found what we wanted for the couple of nights that we needed to get away. After checking in, we traveled back another drive to a group of 18 really nice cabins that were well spaced out amongst the trees. Each cabin consisted of a large downstairs living area and a sleeping loft. Not only was our cabin charming, it was also extremely comfortable, well maintained and very clean. It was the perfect home away from home, much nicer than a hotel room or condo. Not only did my husband and I love this special place, our two year old cockalier (Cocker Spaniel + King Charles Cavalier) was in paradise. She took us on many hikes through the primarily spruce woods. She also enjoyed her homemade Bodhi Bone for breakfast, while we enjoyed juice, fresh muffins, bagels and cream cheese, and yogurt. Since we were mid week visitors, each morning our breakfast was delivered to our door in a cute little basket. Bailey began to love these baskets. For lunch and dinner, we had delicious salads, burgers, seafood and steak dinners prepared by an excellent chef. The only thing that would have made this get away a little better for us, would have been to have rested on hammocks strung up amongst the trees. Oh well, maybe I'll bring my own hammock the next time that I visit Savage River Lodge. Lastly, I want to thank everyone (even the two young lab puppies) for the warmth and caring that they showed to us throughout our stay. I am so glad that Savage River Lodge was created for all of us to enjoy. Thank you!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

We have been a guest at SRL six (6) times now and love it more each time we go. This year we chose a forest view cabin and will reserve the same again. We enjoyed watching so much wildlife while having quiet to rest and relax and enjoy a book on the porch. We bring our dogs each time we go. We love the trails, and have ventured out the past few times to find swimming holes for the girls to enjoy. I have to say we were a tad dissappointed this year with the food at the lodge as years past it's been awesome. I just received their newsletter and they say they are preparing to do some redecorating and upgrades to the grounds and the cabins--can't wait to see the outcome. We truly love our stays at SRL--and have never had a problem with brining the doggies....it's just a great place to relax away from this crazy world!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Lutherville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

My wife, two dogs, and I have visited SRL about seven times and have booked another stay with my parents for October. We love SRL and reccomend it to all of our family and friends. It is a great place to get away from civilization for a while and really unwind. And the fact that our dogs are accepted is an extra bonus.
The cabins are a beautiful loft style cabins with plenty of room for four people and pets. The porch is a great place to sit and enjoy the breezes.
The trails are great for hiking for all ability levels. Some trails are short and mostly level while others are rugged in spots and nice workout. If you don't like to hike, sitting on the porch of the cabin reading the paper or a book is another favorite pasttime of mine. The dogs really like the trails though.
The lodge is also a great place to eat, relax at the bar, and meet others. It has a sitting room stocked with comfortable seating, puzzles and games and great view of the western Maryland mountains. With a bar a few steps away it is a great place to knock back a few while relaxing.
In the winter add snow shoeing and cross country skiing to the list of things to do as well as tubing at nearby Whisp Ski Resort (I'm not a skier so tubing is more my speed).

The only things that keep this from being an excellent review are the price and the some maintenance issues. The price is a bit high for some the maintainance we have noticed. The last time we stayed our screen door did not have a screen so we had to keep the main door closed to the cool spring breezes.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Meadville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

We visited the Savage River Lodge for the first time over Memorial Day Weekend this year, having found it online. We loved virtually everything about it. The setting is lovely, the food is quite good (and I appreciated and enjoyed the vegetarian options), the staff is unfailingly courteous and we loved our cabin. I am a "clean freak" and our cabin passed with flying colors. I had mentioned that we were coming to celebrate our 20th anniversary and the owners had a little surprise awaiting us when we arrived. That thoughtful touch is emblematic of the care with which the owners and staff treat their guests.

Wanting alone time, we did not bring our dog with us but we will absolutely return with our guy. There were many families with dogs and everyone was well-behaved, from our perspective. It's dog heaven.

We could have easily spent the entire weekend at the lodge and but for venturing into Frostburg for dinner one night, we did. We enjoyed hiking, taking meals at the lodge restaurant and especially hanging out and reading on our porch. I noticed on Saturday afternoon that almost every porch had people quietly reading - it was great! Some other reviewers have complained about the slowness of the food service. It was, but we felt well-tended to and since we had nowhere else to go, we simply enjoyed hanging out at the restaurant (we ate most meals outside on the large balcony/porch).

I would not recommend this destination to folks with older children or teens because it might be way too quiet and boring for them.

We have only one negative comment and that is the condition of the mountain road leading into the lodge. We live in rural America so we know dirt roads -- and this one was really bad. So much so that we were concerned about going out to dinner and having to traverse it in the dark (we got back early enough that it was a non-issue!). I'm sure that it's a pain to maintain, but filling in the worst of the potholes with gravel would be a big help. We were there early in the season so maybe that just hadn't been done yet.

All in all, we were delighted with our stay at the Savage River Lodge and we can't wait to return.

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Savage River Lodge? Share your experiences!