“Wonderful Romp in the Snow!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Savage River Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Frostburg
Savage River Lodge
You added Savage River Lodge to your Saves list
1600 Mt. Aetna Road, Frostburg, MD 21532   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Frostburg B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reston, va
“Wonderful Romp in the Snow!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Just returned from two nights at SRL and enjoyed playing in the snow with our dog, reading and napping by the fireplace. Very cozy and quiet (I'd recommend bringing along some music to enjoy). Muffins and dog biscuit delivered each day was very nice. Didn't taste freshly baked, though they were pretty tasty. In cabin coffee, tea and hot chocolate was nice to have, as was a fridge for snacks we had brought. The cabin itself was rustic and comfortable...heavy bedding, gas fireplace, very comfy chairs/couch, and lots of windows for looking outside at the snow. Our main activity was hiking through the woods with our doggie, and we all enjoyed that very much! We're so appreciative of pet-friendly lodgings.
I enjoyed a glass of beer at the bar and the atmosphere is very cozy and relaxing. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. Mike and Jan seem like friendly hosts. The dining room is lovely, and lunch was very tasty....a roasted vegetable and hummus sandwich for me, and an excellent cheeseburger for my hubby. Dinner was the meatloaf (awesome!) and stuffed eggplant (also very good). I thought the soups could use a little more seasoning. Peanut butter pie was excellent, as was the apple pie, however, it would have been better warmed and served a la mode. Didn't have breakfast in the restaurant and wish we would have...just a logistics thing for us. Easy drive from Northern VA (about 3 hours), and we were glad we had AWD for the snow event. Will definitely return to experience other seasons of the year!

Room Tip: The more secluded cabins include 1-4, and 14-18 (which face the woods)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

SRL is a perfect spot for a little get a way. Awesome cabins secluded in the woods, great food and service, pet friendly and Mike and Jan will make you feel at home. A must see. Awesome hiking trails from easy to difficult.

Perfect weekend spot and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2012
Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I just returned from an extraordinary visit at this remarkable property and I cannot say enough about the fantastic time I had. The Innkeepers Mike and Jan have practically put my dream property together and dangled it right before my eyes, for me to envy. At Savage River Lodge you will find the most charming cabin accommodations that are available anywhere! The food at the main lodge was simply incredible, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Combine that with the most gracious and hospitable innkeepers you’ve ever met, and what you will find is a little piece of heaven in Garrett County, MD. I’d be foolish to not want to return. In fact when I arrived, the first thing I did was called my mother and told her, “If I die here, don’t bother bringing me home!” It’s that gorgeous!

Room Tip: Make sure you have 4 wheel drive, and good hiking boots. If you are the type of person to complain...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I pass by the exit to this place when I'm traveling from D.C. to Western MD. Recently, I left early to arrive here around 9 a.m. to have breakfast on the porch. It was a beautiful fall morning, crisp but not cold. I sat on the porch and had breakfast. It was wonderful. The coffee was really good (and I am picky about coffee). The inside of the lodge is beautiful and about as close to something from Wyoming as you will get in this area. The view across the meadow is really peaceful and the soothing music playing was really relaxing. I could have taken a nap, but needed to hit the road. I've been here several times for lunch or for a nice glas of wine on the porch, but never for breakfast. My experience was really good, so I will do it again. I do want to go back when it's snowing to sit by the large stone fireplace and watch it snow. It's a beautiful environment and location.

Room Tip: I haven't stayed here overnight, but it would probably be fun to stay in the cabins.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This review is a bit late, but no less accurate. We had a lovely weekend in May 2012 at the Lodge. The cabin was comfortable and clean. The food at the restaurant was delicious and it was so relaxing to walk "home" after dinner rather than having to drive.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I was really hoping that our trip to Savage River Lodge would live up to my expectations. They were at something of a disadvantage though because it was our first weekend away since our baby was born and it was our Fifth wedding anniversary so a lot was riding on this weekend. The staff went above and beyond my expectations in every respect. First, the owners left us a bottle of champagne to celebrate our anniversary which was a lovely and unexpected touch. Second, Serena at the front desk was incredibly warm and helpful (as was the entire staff for that matter), clearly caring about the Lodge and how the guests are treated. Third, the breakfast muffins are delicious and enormous. Fourth, Carol, the personelle manager told us about the sculpture garden at Kentuck Knob (we did the Arts and Nature package) which we would have missed without her imput. Fifth, the beds are phenomenal! Like sleeping in a cozy marshmallow. Finally, and this is where they really got me. Upon our arrival, there was a slight issue with housekeeping not finishing our room. I informed Serena at the desk, who apologized profusely, asked if there was anything she could get out of our way, and credited us for the inconvience. Then, the next day, Carol asked for permission to have housekeeping redo the cleaning (normally you have to ask for a freshening service). Upon our return, not only was the cabin spotless, but they had left us chocolate covered strawberries as an additional apology. I've been to a lot of hotels and B&B's and I've never had any staff so thoroughly and competantly handle a problem. Is the stay expensive? Yes. But is it worth it? To be treated like treasured guests and old friends at the same time? Absolutely. My only regret is that we were unable to meet the lodge dogs. Oh well, I'm sure we will next time because we will absolutely be returning.

Room Tip: Cabin 5 probably has the easiest parking but we had no complaints about cabin 3!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My wife and I visited the Savage River Lodge for our second visit. We were late getting to the lodge but they had a nice basket waiting outside for us with out key, etc. As part of the Savage River experience, they deliver muffins to your cabin every morning with a Washington Post.

We really enjoyed the downtime. We took two walks on the marked trails on the property. We saw 4 deer and jumped a grouse.

We ate at the Lodge restaurant. We had the beef short ribs and the meat loaf. Both dishes were outstanding. We had the carrot cake for dessert which was fantastic.

The staff at the lodge is outstanding and very helpful. The property is beautiful.

They offer a happy hour to meet the owners but we didn't have time to make it. We enjoyed the time on the outside.

Room Tip: Make reservations early. This place sells out quick.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Savage River Lodge? Share your experiences!