“A little slice of Heaven in Maryland” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Savage River Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Frostburg
Savage River Lodge
You added Savage River Lodge to your Saves list
1600 Mt. Aetna Road, Frostburg, MD 21532   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Frostburg B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
“A little slice of Heaven in Maryland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

SRL is a perfect spot for a little get a way. Awesome cabins secluded in the woods, great food and service, pet friendly and Mike and Jan will make you feel at home. A must see. Awesome hiking trails from easy to difficult.

Perfect weekend spot and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I just returned from an extraordinary visit at this remarkable property and I cannot say enough about the fantastic time I had. The Innkeepers Mike and Jan have practically put my dream property together and dangled it right before my eyes, for me to envy. At Savage River Lodge you will find the most charming cabin accommodations that are available anywhere! The food at the main lodge was simply incredible, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Combine that with the most gracious and hospitable innkeepers you’ve ever met, and what you will find is a little piece of heaven in Garrett County, MD. I’d be foolish to not want to return. In fact when I arrived, the first thing I did was called my mother and told her, “If I die here, don’t bother bringing me home!” It’s that gorgeous!

Room Tip: Make sure you have 4 wheel drive, and good hiking boots. If you are the type of person to complain...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I pass by the exit to this place when I'm traveling from D.C. to Western MD. Recently, I left early to arrive here around 9 a.m. to have breakfast on the porch. It was a beautiful fall morning, crisp but not cold. I sat on the porch and had breakfast. It was wonderful. The coffee was really good (and I am picky about coffee). The inside of the lodge is beautiful and about as close to something from Wyoming as you will get in this area. The view across the meadow is really peaceful and the soothing music playing was really relaxing. I could have taken a nap, but needed to hit the road. I've been here several times for lunch or for a nice glas of wine on the porch, but never for breakfast. My experience was really good, so I will do it again. I do want to go back when it's snowing to sit by the large stone fireplace and watch it snow. It's a beautiful environment and location.

Room Tip: I haven't stayed here overnight, but it would probably be fun to stay in the cabins.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This review is a bit late, but no less accurate. We had a lovely weekend in May 2012 at the Lodge. The cabin was comfortable and clean. The food at the restaurant was delicious and it was so relaxing to walk "home" after dinner rather than having to drive.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I was really hoping that our trip to Savage River Lodge would live up to my expectations. They were at something of a disadvantage though because it was our first weekend away since our baby was born and it was our Fifth wedding anniversary so a lot was riding on this weekend. The staff went above and beyond my expectations in every respect. First, the owners left us a bottle of champagne to celebrate our anniversary which was a lovely and unexpected touch. Second, Serena at the front desk was incredibly warm and helpful (as was the entire staff for that matter), clearly caring about the Lodge and how the guests are treated. Third, the breakfast muffins are delicious and enormous. Fourth, Carol, the personelle manager told us about the sculpture garden at Kentuck Knob (we did the Arts and Nature package) which we would have missed without her imput. Fifth, the beds are phenomenal! Like sleeping in a cozy marshmallow. Finally, and this is where they really got me. Upon our arrival, there was a slight issue with housekeeping not finishing our room. I informed Serena at the desk, who apologized profusely, asked if there was anything she could get out of our way, and credited us for the inconvience. Then, the next day, Carol asked for permission to have housekeeping redo the cleaning (normally you have to ask for a freshening service). Upon our return, not only was the cabin spotless, but they had left us chocolate covered strawberries as an additional apology. I've been to a lot of hotels and B&B's and I've never had any staff so thoroughly and competantly handle a problem. Is the stay expensive? Yes. But is it worth it? To be treated like treasured guests and old friends at the same time? Absolutely. My only regret is that we were unable to meet the lodge dogs. Oh well, I'm sure we will next time because we will absolutely be returning.

Room Tip: Cabin 5 probably has the easiest parking but we had no complaints about cabin 3!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My wife and I visited the Savage River Lodge for our second visit. We were late getting to the lodge but they had a nice basket waiting outside for us with out key, etc. As part of the Savage River experience, they deliver muffins to your cabin every morning with a Washington Post.

We really enjoyed the downtime. We took two walks on the marked trails on the property. We saw 4 deer and jumped a grouse.

We ate at the Lodge restaurant. We had the beef short ribs and the meat loaf. Both dishes were outstanding. We had the carrot cake for dessert which was fantastic.

The staff at the lodge is outstanding and very helpful. The property is beautiful.

They offer a happy hour to meet the owners but we didn't have time to make it. We enjoyed the time on the outside.

Room Tip: Make reservations early. This place sells out quick.
Eastern Shore MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We just retruned from our first trip to SRL and we loved it! From the first conversation with Serena, we knew we would not be disappointed. She suggested Cabin 15 because we brought our cat, Muffy; and for the porch overlooking the woods. The drive there from the MD Eastern Shore was long and full of aniticipation as we approached the last few miles. The gravel road up the hills to the lodge confirmed we were in a distant world unknown to many. It was stunning to see one hill after another dotted with the remnants of colorful leaves. The bright green hillsides mixed with the barren limbs and trunks gave us a view so different from home.
We checked in and drove to our cabin excited like two kids going off to camp! What a pleasant surprise it was. I can only describe it as "Unpretentious Rustic Luxury". It was simple in decor and furnishings, but very comfortable. The bed was great with soft microfiber linens and a down comforter. We had everything we needed to relax and "get away". The SRL staff had a bottle of wine and truffles along with a nice card to acknowledge our special events we were celebrating. Muffy enjoyed exploring the room and climbing the massive wood stairs. It was fun to see her out of her usual routine like us! She eventually found her favorite spot overlooking us from the loft. We had a fabulous dinner, way too much food; the short ribs were excellent and I saved a few bites for the cat. Our server, Michael, was very friendly, without being overbearing, and took great care of us. It was fun walking back the long lane with our little flashlight enjoying the sounds of the woods surrounding us.
The next day we awoke to find the basket on the porch with muffins and juice.It was a lovely amenity and we savored the experience. Later, we took a walk on the trail in our "orange vests for safety" as it was hunting season outside the area. We ate a late lunch that day and while waiting to go to dinner later, met the owner, and helped him "chunkin' pumpkins" to feed the resident deer. It was fun and quite an experience.
Our second dinner was just as great (the carrot cake is the very best!) and we enjoyed the huge fireplace at the bar to finish off our day. With the impending hurricane we left early the next morning to get home. We wished we could have stayed another few days and been "snowed in", but it was not possible. Maybe on the next trip!
We highly recommend SRL !

Room Tip: Pick a room with the porch facing the woods
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Savage River Lodge? Share your experiences!