“Nice hotel in the woods” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rocky Gap Casino Resort

You added Rocky Gap Casino Resort to your Saves list
Rocky Gap Casino Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   16701 Lakeview Road NE, Flintstone, MD 21530 (Formerly Rocky Gap Lodge and Golf Resort)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Flintstone
Baltimore, Maryland
“Nice hotel in the woods”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I found this hotel on Expedia while looking for a Courtyard hotel. Since there is almost nothing out there in the woods I was happy to find this little gem. It is a golf resort in the process of becoming a Casino as well. They are still renovating but managed to stay very clean in the process. Friendly staff, clean and spacious room, ok food at the bar downstairs. Good value for the price!

Room Tip: Try to get a lake view room, otherwise you'll be looking at the generator or the parking lot.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I recently stayed at Rocky Gap with a friend for a weekend getaway. I enjoyed the beautiful scenery - i.e. mountains and lake. For a few extra bucks,request a room overlooking the lake. Trust me, it will be worth your while. The hotel staff was friendly and I enjoyed the family friendly environment. I went at an off peak time and was very happy with the lack of crowds.

There are great activities for everyone in the family - there is a pool and sauna and workout room (they desperately need a fan or AC because it was like a sauna in there!), there is a great bar, and hiking trails available nearby.

The rooms were clean and modern, although I believed that the bathrooms were not too great. Still, I believe that for the amount you are paying, you are getting a lot. The atmosphere at Rocky Gap is relaxing, warm, and comfortable. I think the prices are reasonable and the accommodations are less than perfect, although it is not like it is a luxury hotel. I had to remind myself that a few times as I found two stinkbugs in my room.

I would have to recommend the hotel but NOT THE SPA!! I hear that the massages are great, but my friend got two manicures - both peeled off, cost over $40.00 and was not able to get a refund.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a lake view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hagerstown, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The staff was very friendly. The views were great. The food was good. We had a very relaxing time there and would go back again. I would recommend this hotel to couples and families, there is plenty to do. A lake...campground nearby, golf, tennis and basketball...also hiking.

Room Tip: We got a great rate through living social deals
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Freeland, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Rocky Gap Lodge and Golf Resort in March is absolutely beautiful. Even with the construction in progress, the Lodge/Hotel's appearance is clean and welcoming. Every member of the Staff at the Hotel was pleasant and extremely accomodating. Our room overlooking the lake was clean and spacious and the price was quite reasonable. We only spent one night, but it truly would have been nice to spend a couple of days. The atmosphere is relaxing at the Resort. The food at the restaurant was fit for a King and Queen. The Breakfast Buffet on Sunday morning was filled with a great variety of choices, fresh and delicious. We hope to be heading to Cumberland, Maryland soon to spend more time is this historic town and stay at a hotel where you feel like it's home. Thank you Rocky Gap for making our weekend so nice.

Room Tip: Although any room would be nice, a room with the view of the lake just helps to make you feel that y...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We were checking out the historic buildings and lovely architecture in Cumberland, and decided to stay the night at the Rocky Gap Lodge. We could not have been happier with our decision. The check in was friendly, our room was very comfortable and had a lovely view. We had decided to get dinner at the lodge and what an excellent thing that was! We were both pleasantly surprised by the high quality of the food ( we ordered a la carte,although the buffet looked good too). My fish was perfectly prepared, as was the caesar salad and creme brulee, which was beautifully presented with a real orchid. The waitress was really good and very pleasant. The next morning,before leaving we asked the young woman at the front desk about the place and she patiently and enthusiastically told us about the history of the lodge and gave us some suggestions on what to do. I think it would be great to go back in the summer or fall.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed over night for Valentine's Day weekend. The front desk staff was not friendly in the least. I'm not even sure if either girl even smiled. They acted as if we were bothering them. Although I did interrupt one of them to ask a question while she was on her cell phone and she made it clear that she did not appreciate it. The food was not good at all. The main restaurant was crowded so we ate at Signatures Bar and Grill. The service was good. But I found some kind of shredded wood in my nachos and my husband found a broken tooth pick in his sandwich. They did take the nachos off the bill. We went over to the bar attached to the restaurant for a late night drink and had to sit at the bar as every table needed bussed. I believe we were there for about 45 minutes before staff started clearing them. They are currently building the casino at the "resort". They have a long way to go to be a successful casino I believe. The first step would be to get rid of, or train, the lazy front desk staff in proper hotel service! I would not stay here again nor do I think I will be visiting the casino.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Vienna, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Stayed for three nights this December with our two young children and had a great time. While this is only an average property in terms of the dated rooms and food - the location and amenities make this a great place for a family trip. Kids will love the indoor pool. There is a beauitful lobby fireplace seating area for games and reading. The grounds and lake offer tons to do and the ski resorts are a very manageable drive of 45 minutes. The restaurants are average, but not bad. Service is friendly. I had two spa treatments which were better than expected but the massage treatment rooms had thin walls and were a bit noisy. When the weather allows, the firepit is a welcome place to relax outside.

Room Tip: Make sure you request a room with a view of the beautiful lake.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Rocky Gap Casino Resort? Share your experiences!