“A wonderful getaway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rocky Gap Casino Resort

and 1 more site!
You added Rocky Gap Casino Resort to your Saves list
Rocky Gap Casino Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   16701 Lakeview Road NE, Flintstone, MD 21530 (Formerly Rocky Gap Lodge and Golf Resort)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Flintstone
Washington
“A wonderful getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We were checking out the historic buildings and lovely architecture in Cumberland, and decided to stay the night at the Rocky Gap Lodge. We could not have been happier with our decision. The check in was friendly, our room was very comfortable and had a lovely view. We had decided to get dinner at the lodge and what an excellent thing that was! We were both pleasantly surprised by the high quality of the food ( we ordered a la carte,although the buffet looked good too). My fish was perfectly prepared, as was the caesar salad and creme brulee, which was beautifully presented with a real orchid. The waitress was really good and very pleasant. The next morning,before leaving we asked the young woman at the front desk about the place and she patiently and enthusiastically told us about the history of the lodge and gave us some suggestions on what to do. I think it would be great to go back in the summer or fall.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed over night for Valentine's Day weekend. The front desk staff was not friendly in the least. I'm not even sure if either girl even smiled. They acted as if we were bothering them. Although I did interrupt one of them to ask a question while she was on her cell phone and she made it clear that she did not appreciate it. The food was not good at all. The main restaurant was crowded so we ate at Signatures Bar and Grill. The service was good. But I found some kind of shredded wood in my nachos and my husband found a broken tooth pick in his sandwich. They did take the nachos off the bill. We went over to the bar attached to the restaurant for a late night drink and had to sit at the bar as every table needed bussed. I believe we were there for about 45 minutes before staff started clearing them. They are currently building the casino at the "resort". They have a long way to go to be a successful casino I believe. The first step would be to get rid of, or train, the lazy front desk staff in proper hotel service! I would not stay here again nor do I think I will be visiting the casino.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank Gina K
Vienna, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Stayed for three nights this December with our two young children and had a great time. While this is only an average property in terms of the dated rooms and food - the location and amenities make this a great place for a family trip. Kids will love the indoor pool. There is a beauitful lobby fireplace seating area for games and reading. The grounds and lake offer tons to do and the ski resorts are a very manageable drive of 45 minutes. The restaurants are average, but not bad. Service is friendly. I had two spa treatments which were better than expected but the massage treatment rooms had thin walls and were a bit noisy. When the weather allows, the firepit is a welcome place to relax outside.

Room Tip: Make sure you request a room with a view of the beautiful lake.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank LoveTaxidia
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband and I were part of the "weary travelers" mentioned in the "Snowed in at Christmas" review. Rocky Gap Lodge was very accommodating to all of the travelers stranded due to the wrecks on I-68. They could have price gouged us but didn't. The staff worked very hard, gave 110%, even though I am sure they had many call offs due to the weather. We were so thankful they had a room for us. The onsite restaurant and bar was an added bonus! The room was very clean and what I saw of the property the next morning was beautiful. Yes the room was a little tired. The bathroom was small (think older Holiday Inn) but there was a nice counter/mirror outside the bathroom to get ready. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again if I am in the area, and I am so grateful we had a nice warm, clean, comfortable room to spend the night in.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Flushing, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

So you want it all.. Full on nature but the amenities of a Hotel. You can have it here. My fiancée and I went on the lake, rode segways through the Forest, and relaxed by roasting marshmallows at the fire along the serene lake. We sat by the lake and meditated next to the ducks. This was an awesome trip for us.when we got bored of being all nature- y we would walk one minute to our room or the dining area. If you want a nice nature vacation but are too scared to venture to the mountains of Alabama this is definitely for you!! There was also a good mix of people there. So young or old, black or white, check this place out!

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank theshamanadanielle
Bel Air, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

The view of the lake and mountains at Rocky Gap is a 5 however I would not consider it a resort. In the past it has been a wonderful family friendly property. It has a lake with a man made beach, volleyball nets, indoor pool, hiking trails and other child friendly activities. On a recent visit we noticed they removed the playground from the property. Slot machines will be arriving soon and I am hoping it does not take away the peacefulness and family friendliness from this property. The staff is not always the friendliest but rooms were clean. Prices are fair and it is a wonderful location and place to get away from the hustle and bustle of life. I hope the new owners invest money updating the rooms and staff on proper customer service. Asking them to smile and educating them about the property would be a great start! We will go there again as the view is breathtaking.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SandraToo
MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Mike and I had plans in Cumberland and La Vale so we booked a three night stay at Rocky Gap.
The snows came.We ended up staying put. But we went on three great hikes around the lake. The lodge looked magical at night from the far bank of the lake.
We had a mediocre lunch so were worried about the buffets.But we ate at the Christmas buffet, breakfast buffet, and the pasta buffet. There were plenty of selections.Everything we chose was very good.
Quite a few weary travelers took shelter from the storm and the impassable roads and the staff did a great job accommodating them, even the ones with the family dogs. Wish the exercyle was in good working condition, but the pool was great. All the staff that we came in contact with were upbeat and helpful, even though the storm snowed quite a few of them in so they missed Christmas with their families. Nice folks. Great buffets. Not what we planned,
but a wonderful place to ride out the storm.

Room Tip: Lakeside rooms has a lovely view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Palannie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Flintstone
Fairfield Inn & Suites Cumberland
Comfort Inn & Suites
#1 of 5 in LaVale
4.5 of 5 stars 169 reviews
The Country Inn of Berkeley Springs
The Country Inn of Berkeley Spri...
#1 of 6 in Berkeley Springs
4.0 of 5 stars 102 reviews
Hampton Inn Frostburg
Hampton Inn Frostburg
#1 of 6 in Frostburg
4.5 of 5 stars 322 reviews

Been to Rocky Gap Casino Resort? Share your experiences!