“Will definitely go back, but...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rocky Gap Casino Resort

and 1 more site!
You added Rocky Gap Casino Resort to your Saves list
Rocky Gap Casino Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   16701 Lakeview Road NE, Flintstone, MD 21530 (Formerly Rocky Gap Lodge and Golf Resort)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Flintstone
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Will definitely go back, but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Just had some minor issues with this place. 1) I thought it tacky they charge $15 each for a microwave and fridge per day. This being a resort, they should think of including them in each room and not have an extra charge for them. I guess it's nice they are available but I can't see paying an extra $30 a night for both. Our cooler worked great, though. 2) The carpets throughout really need some deep cleaning or replacing. I noticed this everywhere. 3) Our room had not been dusted before we got there. The rest of the room seemed clean.

Aside from that, we had a very enjoyable Labor Day weekend and plan on returning. There are lots of outdoor activities, and most rentals are reasonably priced. I read complaints about the front desk staff being rude, but all staff we encountered were very pleasant. We ate at Signatures both nights and the food was good. The pool was a nice backup plan because it rained on and off, but it is definitely not a big pool. If I was a pool person, this might have bothered me but my husband and daughter didn't seem to mind. The exercise room is also small (two treadmills, one bike and one eliptical) but I only saw people in there once so it may not get used much. I did use it and the treadmills are very smooth although the programming on them is a bit annoying so I just used the manual program. The eliptical and bike were not working and had no signage indicating such.

The nightly firepit is a nice touch. They sell s'mores kits at the front desk and my graham crackers were stale and they only give two marshmallows for an entire Hershey bar and were $3.50 for the kit. I'll bring my own stuff next time. They had fireworks across the lake for the holiday which were brief, but a pleasant surprise. We got a Lakeside room and had the perfect view. We were able to bring our own kayak's without issue which is good they didn't charge something for that. We were going to play nine holes on the course but unfortunately between the rain and lack of appropriate attire, we had to cancel. We are in that area monthly and plan on stopping there to play in the next few weeks. Overall it's a really great setting with a lot going for it. Next time we go, we would like to spend an extra night or two so that we can take advantage of more that it has to offer (hiking, biking, etc.)

Room Tip: Worth the extra few bucks for the lake view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My husband and I were martied here a year ago and just came back for our anniversary. Great food, activities on the lake, fireworks, and to top it all off a very relaxing spa. The people working in the spa were fantastic! The only complaint I have is some of the servers were not very polite.

• Stayed September 2012
KimberlyR492, Executive Assistant to GM/Sales & Marketing at Rocky Gap Casino Resort, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
We are so glad you enjoyed our resort! Please come and visit us again!
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I loved Rocky Gap! I met friends there for a massage and stayed overnight. Hiked the lakeside loop trail, and got an off-road Segway tour! The staff was awesome, the food great, the rooms clean and comfy, and the view is unsurpassed!

Room Tip: Ask for a lakefront room, it's worth it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

bottom line: 4-diamond rating is not supported. Truly beautiful/naturistic setting on lake (golf course looks great also) but from there it drops off....Hotel is dated, looks like a glorified Holiday Inn as far as decor and ambiance. Ripped carpet and stains in suite. Mold in grout of showers. Not the greatest smell throughout (febreze could make a bundle of cash if they got an endorement deal). The food throughout is mediocre at best, we didn't eat at the Lakeside restaurant as we felt we overpaid at the lesser options (Signatures and the Lakeside Lounge). We were pleased that kids eat free- but the menu for kids is pretty limited and not veggie friendly. We escaped to Cumberland for a train ride into Frostburg and had our best meal- Chik Fil A. By the way, Cumberland is pretty depressed and looked pretty shady driving thru.

Room Tip: Lake view is quite nice
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

My husband and son and I stayed at Rocky Gap Lodge for two nights. The setting is beautiful and the resort activities offered are acceptable, but limited, other than the golf course. The pool is small and the hall outside of it reeks of chlorine. The beach, tennis court and volleyball courts are all next door outside of the lodge perimeter....The room was clean, but the bathroom was cramped and moldy around the vent. The spa was great and was competitive in pricing for the three services I had. I would strongly recommend Bonnie who does massages...
The dinner we had at the Lakeside Restaurant was ridiculously expensive and mediocore in quality. We ate lunch outside at the Signature Lounge and the food was better, but again too expensive, the menu was limited, there were no specials and if you have a child....come on...how about desserts other than pie or ice cream!
Restaurant options are available in (15 minutes away) Cumberland. But, if you stay at Rocky Gap, they absolutely should be providing good food that goes along with the beautiful lake setting.
The new owners are supposedly bringing in slot machines and possibly building a casino.
Stay tuned...

Manquin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

The Good - My family was able to be together for my wife's grandfather's 85 birthday celebration. The mountain bike trails were fun since I am an avid mountain biker. The beach was nice and clean.

The Bad - The rooms were dated. As a contractor, I usually pick things apart, just the nature of my being since it is what I do for a living, That being said, the bathroom had no exhaust fan, so mold was growing on the ceiling and corners, the carpet was bunching up and in need of updating, and the room was dusty everywhere and had an odor. Since our family had about twenty rooms, including the presidential suite, I looked around at theirs also. Seemed to be the case in every room.
Our first night we ate at the lounge restaurant. My wife and I got there at 8:00 pm and most people were gone. We orfered a bottle of wine and I ordered chicken fingers. My in laws had ordered a pizza at the cost of 12 bucks. When it arrived an hour later, we looked and tasted it and could not believe they try to pass of Digornio pizza at a 4 star hotel. Really? Well, another hour passed, no chicken fingers and we were ready to go. I told the waitress to forget it, she sid she would take it off my tab and have it delivered to my room anyway. Ok. Fair enough. 30 minuted later and a phone call to the front desk, I recieved my cold, dry, nasty chicken fingers. Day 2 for breakfast. We arrive at the Lakeside restaurant and wait for a hostess to seat us for 20 minutes. When she arrived, she sat us by the bar. We waited 20 more minutes for a waitress. My uncle got disgusted and went to Cumberland to hit a drive through instead. I just decided to help myself to the understocked buffet so my 6 year old could eat. No utensils on the table, so I went to the hostess stand and found so plastic utinsels and napkins. Went to the lobby and got coffee to drink, went behind the bar and got water for my son. 10 minutes later the waitress shows up for drink orders. Laughable. Especially the bill she hit me with that included the automatic gratuity. I am a 30% tipper on average if the service is good. She got nothing extra. Besides, the breakfast was institutional at best. I had much better breakfast in an army chow hall. That evening was a private dinner catered for the birthday celebration. We did recieve our food timely, but the filet mignon was so overcooked it was dry and stringy like pot roast. It was not a good cut of meat to begin with. It reminded me of the cheap vacuum sealed filets you get at the grocery store wrapped in bacon. Yuck. They were fast to clear our plates, like they wanted us done and out of there. If I had not been in a happy mood from drinking 100 dollar bottles of wine in my uncles presidential suite, then I might have said something, so i just kept drinking wine all night to forget about the horrible food. Bottom line, this is not a four star hotel at all. But, since they are going to turn it into a slot casino within the year, i can only assume the new owners ae not spending any money until the off season so the can renovate then and turn this place into a hotel for gamblers. Bottom line is DO NOT STAY HERE, You want a true four star experience and be in the woods with a golf course? Go to the Homestead in Hot Springs, VA. You won't be sorry there. They do it right. This place is unfit for my worst enemy.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
Gray, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Rocky Gap Lodge for the Cumberland Fireman's Bash. Our room was clean and the area around the lodge is beautiful. We thought the restaurant was a bit pricey so we went into Cumberland for our meals. The only problem I had with the room was that we paid a little extra to have a lake view and the window was quite dirty with spider webs and such. All in all it was a nice weekend and we would definitely go back. (We stayed during a summer special stay 2 nights, get the 3rd night free. This made it more in line with what it should cost).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Rocky Gap Casino Resort? Share your experiences!