Our family just got back from a weekend at Rocky Gap Resort. It is tucked on the water in Flintstone, MD--a place I didn't know existed until a couple of weeks ago. It has the feel of an old French Chateau, but never had me feeling like it needed updating. (No small achievement!) I would have given it a 4.5 if I could--and that would only be b/c the food was pretty average.
What I loved:
1. If you wanted to sit in front of a fireplace and read-- you could. There were plenty of terrific spaces for quiet and peace if you wished for that.
2. It has it's own little beach.
3. You can camp at the National park area beside the resort if you don't want to go the resort route.
4. There is a concierge that will arrange your activities. We opted for horseback riding and their off road Sequays. Awesome!
5. You can rent bikes and rent canoes too.
6. Nightly bonfire for guests!
9. Friendly staff
10 Hand sanitizer available on wall mounted dispensers everywhere.
11. Very comfy beds with good pillows
12. House wines were fabulous!
13. The breathtaking view of the water and mountains made this feel like a real retreat from our usual lives. Stunningly beautiful!
14. I am not a golfer, but I loved that there was a golf course, putting green and driving range.
What I didn't dig so much:
1. Food was pretty average. The breakfast buffet and dinner buffet did not feel gourmet, but rather institutional. The wait staff was attentive and nice.
2. If you did have noisy kids on your hall, noise travels into your room like they are practically inside. (Thankfully I love kids and it didn't last long, but when they played around in the hall it was loud.)
Basically our three high school aged kids had a ball and are already talking about when we can go back-- it usually takes a trip to the Bahamas on Hawaii to get them talking about a return trip!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A popular resort that promises cozy comfort in the woods - it is situated in the heart of Rocky Gap State Park. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Tingo so you can book your Rocky Gap Casino Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rocky Gap Lodge And Golf Hotel Flintstone
- Rocky Gap Hotel