“Great for do-ers and view-ers!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rocky Gap Casino Resort

and 1 more site!
You added Rocky Gap Casino Resort to your Saves list
Rocky Gap Casino Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   16701 Lakeview Road NE, Flintstone, MD 21530 (Formerly Rocky Gap Lodge and Golf Resort)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Flintstone
Maryland
“Great for do-ers and view-ers!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Our family just got back from a weekend at Rocky Gap Resort. It is tucked on the water in Flintstone, MD--a place I didn't know existed until a couple of weeks ago. It has the feel of an old French Chateau, but never had me feeling like it needed updating. (No small achievement!) I would have given it a 4.5 if I could--and that would only be b/c the food was pretty average.

What I loved:

1. If you wanted to sit in front of a fireplace and read-- you could. There were plenty of terrific spaces for quiet and peace if you wished for that.
2. It has it's own little beach.
3. You can camp at the National park area beside the resort if you don't want to go the resort route.
4. There is a concierge that will arrange your activities. We opted for horseback riding and their off road Sequays. Awesome!
5. You can rent bikes and rent canoes too.
6. Nightly bonfire for guests!
7. Pool
8. Spa
9. Friendly staff
10 Hand sanitizer available on wall mounted dispensers everywhere.
11. Very comfy beds with good pillows
12. House wines were fabulous!
13. The breathtaking view of the water and mountains made this feel like a real retreat from our usual lives. Stunningly beautiful!
14. I am not a golfer, but I loved that there was a golf course, putting green and driving range.

What I didn't dig so much:
1. Food was pretty average. The breakfast buffet and dinner buffet did not feel gourmet, but rather institutional. The wait staff was attentive and nice.
2. If you did have noisy kids on your hall, noise travels into your room like they are practically inside. (Thankfully I love kids and it didn't last long, but when they played around in the hall it was loud.)

Basically our three high school aged kids had a ball and are already talking about when we can go back-- it usually takes a trip to the Bahamas on Hawaii to get them talking about a return trip!

Room Tip: Ask to face the water and gorgeous vista.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a family reunion in July. I went on to read the reviews about this place so my expectations weren't really that high and thankfully so. Just like many other reviews the food was disappointing. Ordered the salmon off the dinner menu along with my wife and we both agreed there was an odor that came along with it. Funky. Breakfast was the best meal of the day by far. Omelette station is the way to go along with the waffles because you know,everything is freshly made.
We stayed in a suite because we were traveling with my 21 month old son. What a huge disappointment. Outdated room big time. Felt dirty. Didn't want to sit on the furniture. Carpet was old and stained. Just overall a disappointing room for the 200+ a night we paid. Asked for a mini fridge and microwave which we thought should be included in a suite. They arranged for it because the suites are not equipped with them and charged us 30 bucks a night! What a rip off. This will be the last time I ever stay at this place thankfully. We all decided the next family reunion should be somewhere else. We ALL agreed. That should tell you something. Stay somewhere else and play golf there or enjoy the lake. Those are the only 2 redeeming features of this place. And don't get me started about the parking. If the resort if somewhat full, bring your walking shoes...you may be walking up to a quarter of a mile or more to get to your car. Hope it's not raining.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed as a large group for a work training program. This property is pretty and clean with volleyball courts and trails around the lake and through the park. The lake has a swimming beach on the park side. The hotel has a dinning lounge which was good, but a little overpriced. I had a steak with the special glaze and crab on top. It was delicious. There is also an indoor-outdoor lakeside lounge which is next to the pool which had decent burgers and sandwiches. The pool is small, backyard sized, but is covered by an open greenhouse style glass enclosure, which adjoins to the indoor connector and I believe a jacuzzi. I did not swim, but the kids seem to like it. This also in next to the small fitness room. Back outside the lakeside lounge patio leads to the area of the lake with the hotel dock, and fire pit. They have a fire from 7-10pm by the lake, and picnic tables as well as a few tents for hanging out. There are lounge chairs along shore too. Paddle boat, canoe and kayak rentals are by the hour only and too much money for me. Bike rentals are not cheap either. I walked around the lake, which was a nice 5 mile hike over rough but easy terrain. Wear your hiking shoes, sunscreen and bring a map in case you follow the wrong trail. Markers are scarce on trails. All resturants have limited hours and close by 11pm. This means you must walk to the front to return in from outside by the lake. Service was great. There was some liquid in the bottom of my wardrobe which was the only closet. I wiped it up and thought maybe it came from the oldest modern iron I had ever seen next to the ironing board. The phone was also old and the messages function did not work. Nor did the room service button, I ended up walking down to the dinning room, which was fine. The air conditioning is a wall unit under the window which can be hard to find the perfect temperature using the dial, but worked great. Only a coffee maker, 1 cup, is in the room, and a tiny, maybe 26 inch HD TV. The remote was old and annoyingly slow to respond. Internet was fine, after it connected, but a regular reconnect will be required if you put your iPad to sleep and then wake it up. We had one group buffet dinner, which I'm sure was done on the cheap. However, the cole sale was almost bad, pasta tasted like a suddenly salad mix, and the burgers were obviously cookie cutter frozen. Drinks at the event were about $5 each. The facilities and service were both very nice. My experience with all the conference rooms was good. If you break up the main room into breakouts, its still nice, but you will hear a loud group, if next door. Overall this is a lovely place for a quiet, low key work retreat. Great for team building. It's pretty and relaxing, with a decent price. Make sure you drive the hour long trip to the Flight 93 Memorial north of the lodge. Other than that, I didn't find much else that interested me in the immediate area.

• Stayed July 2012
Land O Lakes, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I met in Philly and drove to Rocky Gap for a much needed long weekend. I was a little skeptical after having read previous reviews about an unfriendly staff. I'm here to tell you, EVERYONE I spoke with went above and beyond any of my expectations.

We arrived 30 minutes before the kitchen closed and didnt expect much for a meal. We were wrong, we had a very tasty meal. Joshua was awesome and met our every need. We took part in most of the buffets, which were vere tasty. However, I had a filet on Sat night that literally melted in my mouth!

This is a great place to relax, hike, bike or golf. We will definitely return!

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Damascus, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

My friend and I decided to take a trip for her birthday and ended up at Rocky Gap Resort. She stayed in the Govenor's Suite, pretty nice, and I stayed in one of the regular guest rooms facing the lake. The view of the lake from my room was very pretty. We ate at both restaurants, Signatures Cafe for lunch, the food was average and overpriced for what they were serving. We ate at the Lakeside for dinner. Here is when the weekend stated to take a downturn. Our waitress was pretty much invisible the entire evening. It took an hour and a half to get our hamburgers and when we got them the order wasn't correct and the food was cold. She forgot the crabcakes we ordered and we had to ask for bread four times before we actually got some,which we did finally at the end of our meal. We asked for more cocktails twice and never got them either. It was frustrating because it seemed like the rest of the waitstaff was waiting on their tables efficiently but everyone in our waitresses section was clealy dismayed by the terrible service they were getting as well. I will say that we did go over to the lounge area after dinner to finally get some cocktails and the bartender was lovely, great service and he made great suggestions on drinks. Spa was average and overpriced the pedicure I got was fair at best and basically just a polish change and a foot soak for $70. Before checkout I filled out a survey explaining what a bad experience we had a dinner the night before and the Director of Food and Beverage did contact me by email stating that they were going to send me a gift certificate. That was two months ago and I am still waiting. I contacted them again about a month after they contacted me initially and was told they were going to follow up, how long does it take to mail something? Still nothing from them, needless to say I won't be returning again. If you want to take in the views my suggestion is to go to the state park that backs up to the resort, you will save a lot of money and heart ache.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

The room was dirty there was a old baby bottle that had looked like it had been there for months. They don't have any activitys that they don't charge u extra for an there prices are really high. Then after I left the hotel I noticed extra charges on my card and when I called the hotel about it they said they would have to call me back an never did. I had to fill a dispute with my credit card company to get it fixed.

• Stayed July 2012
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

My husband and I spent just one Monday evening and night. The lakeside setting is beautiful, and the chairs, lounges, and small boats available for relaxing by the lake are plentiful. The lakeside and other grounds were quieter than we expected, and the lodge did not seem busy on this weeknight. Our King lakeview room was spotless, and fine for this short stay, but the bathroom is very small and would be inconvenient for a longer stay (only room for one person at a time to get ready for the day or evening). We were on the 4th floor, at the end of the hall and away from the elevator: the view was lovely and the room was very quiet.

Service was spotty: slow and seemingly distracted in the lounge, friendly and attentive in the Lakeside restaurant. Other reviewers have noted front desk service problems; I was greeted by a friendly, polite young woman at check-in, but I did note that she did not volunteer any information about the resort (unlike what is, in my experience, typical at resort check-in). The food was good, but seemed overpriced for the quality.

Overall, a very good experience, and we would return to this property if we were in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Rocky Gap Casino Resort? Share your experiences!