“A Very Nice Bed and Breakfast for the economical traveler” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Stonehurst Inn Bed and Breakfast

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Emmitsburg
Stonehurst Inn Bed and Breakfast
You added Stonehurst Inn Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
9436 Waynesboro Road, Emmitsburg, MD 21727   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Emmitsburg B&B and Inns
Central Pennsylvania
“A Very Nice Bed and Breakfast for the economical traveler”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2009

Stonehurst is a well preserved country residence (100 years old) that offers outstanding value and comfort for those not looking for the high end in B and B ammenities. The residence manager Don was very helpful over the phone when I booked our room for our one night stay prior to the Civil War Century Bike ride (a Friday night). Don was very attentive to our needs as we were late arrivers (after 9 PM) and had to leave early for the bike event. In fact there were about 7 cyclists staying their and Don prepared an early breakfast at 6 AM that included all hot entries and pastries, fresh fruit, coffee and juice. The food was excellent and the room was comfortable and quiet. No real need to GPS this from your car. Google Maps works well and Don provided very good directions over the phone as we traveled south. I highly recommend Stonehurst as an alternative to chain Hotels (Holiday Inn Express/Quality Inn) and certainly as an alternative to the higher end B and B's where prices might exceed a travelers budget. Don't expect alot of high tech in your reservation (e mail, facebook etc...) Just call the inn and book. Check his web site for directions and rates. A very good find for those traveling in and around MD and Central PA.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Families
Solo
Business
Charlottesville, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

I hate to write things that aren't positive but I don't want anyone to have a bad experience like my husband and I did. I booked the Stonehurst inn for our wedding night, and the night after thinking it would be similar to the Antrim in Taneytown MD close by. Sadly there was no air condition when we got there and it was hot. I couldn't sleep it was so hot in the room. The carpet looked like it hadn't been vaccumed in a couple weeks, there were dead bugs on the floor. And there was hairy used soap in the bathroom. Even though it was my wedding night we were exhausted and just wanted to sleep. It was a miserable hot night. I cried when i really got a good look at the room. In the morning we packed up and paid for our two nights (even though we stayed one) and left. There was only one person working there, a man in his 80s. I really didn't want to upset him and I was on the verge of tears. I just wanted to get the hell out of there. Please research where your staying really well before you stay there.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

One of the best places that we have ever stayed! Fabulous home, clean, lovingly maintained. Our host was extremely hospitable and gracious. Lovely hot breakfast in the morning, prepared to suit our schedule. Enjoyed cool evening breezes sitting on the second story porch that was accessible from our room. Very reasonable rate.

• Stayed May 2009
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2008

My wife and I were going to Gettysburg for the weekend and had trouble finding an acceptable hotel with a vacancy. We widened our search to 10 miles and found this B&B. We are glad we did. The owners, Don and Marie, were wonderful hosts. The room we got had a comfortable king bed and private bath. It also had access to a veranda that wrapped around over half of the house. The views and the solitude of this location were wonderful. Don met us each morning at the breakfast table and had a tasty and filling hot breakfast for us. Don and Marie provided us with recommendations of where to go and what to do. When we returned one of them was there to ask how we enjoyed the day and showed a real interest in what we had to report. When we left it felt like we were leaving old friends. As an added bonus, the room rate was much more reasonable than anything we checked in the immediate Gettysburg area and it was only a short drive to downtown Gettysburg. We will stay there the next time we travel that way. Thank you Don and Marie for a wonderful weekend stay.

• Liked — Don and Marie, the friendly hosts.
  • Disliked — Too little time to fully enjoy the property.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Sabillasville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2007

I telepohoned the owner of Stonehurst Inn to inquire about his rooms, (I was looking for lodging for my Aunt and Uncle and a friend of theirs) and I found the owner to be very unfriendly and unhelpful. I asked if I could drop by and view the available rooms for the date I had requested and he told me he was very busy. Then I asked if both rooms had attached bathrooms and he replied no, only one had. I said I thought that that may be a problem and he HUNG up on me before I could get any further information from him. I was shocked. Not a B&B I want family staying in.

Stayed August 2007
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2005

Recently, I had business in the Emmitsburg, Maryland area. This bed and breakfast, The Stonehurst Inn, was not only charming, reasonably priced, roomy and very comfortable but also exemplified "service with a smile." The owner, Don Sanderson, provided truly delicious and ample breakfasts, taking my dietary needs into consideration. The room I had was beautifully appointed, as was the rest of the house. There was a pond that I could watch each morning as I prepared for my workday. What a great alternative to the standard motels that I sometimes must inhabit.

Mr. Sanderson had just the right balance between friendly interaction and allowing me privacy and peace. This B&B was a great location for my work, but even better - it was only 10 minutes from Gettysburg, PA. When I finished my research, I spent a truly informative and moving two hours taking a private tour of the battlegrounds. While the story of the Civil War was fascinating, the topography of the land was also illuminating; it helped clarify for me how the battles were fought. I highly recommend this B & B.

Been to Stonehurst Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!