“Sleep Inn” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Emmitsburg
Northwest New Jersey
“Sleep Inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We wanted to stay somewhere rather close to Gettysburg but would also be a semi-reasonable drive to Antietam as we were doing tours of Civil War battlefields on this vacation. We'd been camping the first part of the week and figured that we'd do a hotel for the last few days.

We got there rather late and the woman who helped us check in was extremely nice and knowledgeable about the area.

The room wasn't huge but we didn't expect it to be. It was clean which is a big thing for me if you've read my other reviews. We had a king sized bed which was very comfortable. The bathroom was tucked into a corner of the room. The sink and vanity were open to the sleeping area and the toilet and shower were separated by a pocket door. Rather ingenious actually, since there wasn't a lot of room to spare. It was functional and a good launching pad for our explorations.

I did forget to tell them that the light was out in our sink area and I think the shower door needed to be fixed. If anyone from management reads this, we were in Room 330. It didn't affect our enjoyment of the trip but it should probably be addressed.

As for whether we'll go back, we've already reserved for next year's 150th reenactment of the Battle.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

A wedding brought us to the Sleep Inn- the wedding guests practically took over the entire hotel because it's one of the only places to stay if someone is getting married in the area. I was skeptical based on reserving the rooms- I had to leave a message and wait for someone to call back in order to reserve the room. Only a certain staff member was able to deal with the block. However, the room was nice and very clean. It was nice that every room had a small fridge and the wireless was free. The staff on site was helpful. Breakfast was included and had the basic items (cereal, bagels, juice, danish, hard-boiled eggs, etc.). I would recommend eating elsewhere if you can spend the money and have time. They had several great places in town.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Southern Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

My husband and I recently attended a religious conference in Emmittsburg, and rather than staying in the dorms on campus (been there - done that), we opted to reserve a room at the local Sleep Inn. The location couldn't have been more convenient (only 2-3 miles from Mt. St. Mary) and the hotel is very well maintained. The staff is very friendly and were very accommodating when we asked for a late check out on the final day. Our room was a king room and I found the decor to be very attractive and it was nice to have a large shower instead of a tub/shower combo (only thing is that water pressure could have been a little stronger) with nice hot water. The bed was very comfortable as well.

We ate breakfast at the hotel the first morning and were slightly underwhelmed. I had a bagel with butter and cream cheese. The bagel was fine, but the butter and cream cheese were so hard (cold) that the flimsy knife provided wasn't up to the task - I saw others flipping the knife over and using the handle instead of the blade - it worked marginally better, but not much. My husband had one of the breakfast sandwiches and a hard boiled egg that was very rubbery. Would probably not eat breakfast there again, even though it is included in the room rate - there's a McDonalds just up the road and the food would be better!

The pool was nice and seemed to underutilized during our stay - but the towels - OMG the towels. They were very small and almost felt threadbare. It would be nice if they upgraded the towel quality a bit.

Overall we were very pleased with our stay and, should the opportunity arise next year, we would probably stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012 via mobile

The first thing that greets you is the incredibly clean property. I travel a great deal and wish all of the places I stay were as clean as this hotel.

Rooms are reasonably modern with comfortable beds and panel televisions.

Staff is top rate, all a true pleasure to deal with.

I intend to be back next year for a conference again and will stay here without reservation.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Duluth, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

The room was that, a room, it wasn't surprisingly good or bad; for a night, it was totally adequate. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. Internet connection was wireless and reasonably stable. Stand up shower rather than a tub, which is fine with me. The shower head was barely adequate with not a lot of water and at rather low pressure. Changing the settings did changed the shape of the flow but it was still weak - but not bad enough to be a serious CON.

PRO - Very courteous front desk staff, especially at check in.

CON - Breakfast offerings were miserly. If this is the best that can be afforded, then management should seriously consider discontinuing to advertise & offer breakfast. Stale baked powered doughnuts do not constitute a reasonable breakfast.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

Hello I would like to say in the below post the person writing this is giving misleading information. I was staying on the third floor with my boyfriend on a skiing trip the night this took place and I called the front desk about this room being loud playing music we could actually hear the words to over in our room in the middle of the night. Then about 30 minutes later I went to the front desk in the middle of the night have you ! And this is taking place at 2am by the way. To tell the front desk clerk this room still had people coming in and out being loud while slamming their door over and over. While I was there he was on the phone with a other guest complaining about the same problem.

We are happy they were removed because if not we might not have had any sleep for our day of skiing which would have resulted in a wasted trip. A hotel you pay a 130.00 dollars a night for should not have problems from other inconsiderate guest turning their room into a frat house ! Because of the front desk clerk taking action we will be back next year.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

Having stayed at the Sleep Inn several times, I was expecting a pleasant weekend with no issues at the hotel. I was utterly disappointed with the lack of hospitable management at this hotel. My group of friends was in town for a reunion and when we had returned from a night out, we were laughing and catching up. We did receive one complaint regarding our noise, at which point we lowered our voices and tried to wind down for the night. Soon after, we received a knock at our door with three police officers, kicking us out of the hotel.

Typically, you would expect hotel management to give you a warning such as "next time we get a complaint, you will be asked to leave" but we never got such a warning. Instead, we were blindsided at 3 AM in the morning and forced to get into cars and drive to another hotel. Thankfully some of our friends had arrived late that night and were able to drive safely to another hotel. Had that not been the case, we would have had no way of safely leaving this hotel.

I understand and agree that noise that bothers other guests should be taken seriously by management. I even admit that yes, we had gotten carried away in the excitement of reuniting with old friends. However, the respectful and lawful treatment of your guests should also be taken seriously. We were treated with utter disrespect and given no solid reason by management for our forced removal from this hotel. Additionally, it was unacceptable and absolutely unnecessary to waste the time of police officers in this situation. As a hotel manager, you should be able to properly handle situations of your guests, including insisting that they quiet down.

I suggest in the future you have your team revisit Hospitality 101. Do not waste the time of the police to quiet down a bunch of harmless young professionals who are not a menace to society in any way, shape, or form. Give your paying guests the opportunity to quiet down or at least provide a warning that the next consequence is being kicked out.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sleep Inn & Suites Emmitsburg? Share your experiences!