“Poor food and service!” 1 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
“Poor food and service!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Hamburger charred. Had to ask for utensils, refill on tea, pepper, BBQ sauce, lettuce and tomato. Got indigestion from service. BBQ ok at best. Waitress picking her teeth in mirror- bad experience!

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Mouthwatering”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

The brisket was melt in your mouth good. The 5 different sauces were great. Its just a plain old good bbq shack atmosphere. They have beer and rootbeer on tap. I enjoyed my meal a lot and will go back.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Michigan
“Great brisket and ribs!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stopped here the first time in early July based on the recommendation of our Gettysburg guide who told us not to judge it by its appearance. We again visited in late August when we happened to be in the area. Honestly, we drove an hour to visit it the second time to see if the food was as good on a repeat visit.

As noted in other reviews the building is outdated both inside and out. Inside decor is probably unchanged for the last 50 years.

Both times we were here we enjoyed it. The brisket will melt in your mouth. The ribs are very good even without any barbecue sauce, and if you want sauce they have many different options available to try. I had the cornbread and the absolutely world's best baked beans on both of my visits, wishing I could have taken some of those home. My son thought that the pork belly was, of course, like eating melt-in-your-mouth bacon.

If you want Chubby's version of various kinds of meat then give this a try. Some say "it's not barbecue," but the word barbecue means different things depending on what part of the country you're in. I'm open to trying new foods and I'm glad that our guide sent us here and that we returned for a repeat visit as well.

• Visited July 2013
“This isn't BBQ”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

I just had lunch at Chubby's. I ordered the brisket platter. When I saw the juice all over the plate, I was confused because BBQ brisket is not supposed to be au jus. It tasted like cafeteria food, not BBQ. The other people in my party got the pit beef, ordered medium rare, got well done, again, tasted like cafeteria roast beef. The fries and slaw were ok and the waitress was very pleasant, but the food is not barbecue. There was not even the smell of BBQ inside or outside the restaurant. We should have known from that. Skip this place. If you are driving by and very hungry, you are better off going to a fast food drive in. It was very expensive, too.

Visited August 2013
Staten Island, New York
“a little old but great food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

We have passed this place many times bringing our daughter to and from Mt st Mary's university and just ate there for the first time. Great barbaque food. Although the decorum is quite outdated pink vinyl booths wagon wheel lights no bells and whistles but the food was delicious. I had 1/2 rack of baby back ribs came with 2 sides I had fries they were def homemade. And Mac and cheese. Wonderful my husband had brisket and ribs combine with homemade Cole slaw's and potato salad neither of us could finish our meal...kids. portions were large and much enjoyed. A little no frills place with great eats......

• Visited August 2013