“Maryland Comfort” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ellicott City
Wayland, Massachusetts
“Maryland Comfort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

I recently visits this residence inn on business. I enjoy staying at Marriott properties and found that this property lived up to my expectations. My suite was spacious and very clean. The location is near a major roadway yet not overly travels so it allows easy access to the nearby shopping and restaurants. I found the staff to be very friendly and they seemed to enjoy taking care of guests. This is something that you do not alway encounter. Well done!

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to take a room away from the lobby as you can enter through rear keyed doors and...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Milwaukee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

This is a decent RI & well located if you have business in the BWI-DC corridor. It's best for those with a car as there isn't a shuttle & the only restaurant nearby is a Bob Evans. Maybe you like Bob Evans? To each his own - I won't judge (but I also won't eat there either).

Rooms: C
RI's are set up for longer stays so you'll get a kitchenette, small seating area and a good sized work area. My room was "ok" in terns of cleanliness with some grot/hair in the bathroom & kitchen garbage that hadn't been emptied from the previous person. Also, I had to go through about 5 glasses until I found one that didn't look grubby - yuck. Really wish they had disposables (I know, I know, the earth...) because God only knows who's been using them.

Amenities: C
Free wifi - works but very slowly so you won't be streaming HBO Go. Outdoor pool if you want it. Small workout area.

Sleep quality: C
The hotel faces a busy highway so you're going to hear road noise. Fortunately (or not) my HVAC ran constantly so it provided some "white noise " which helped.

Breakfast: D
It's free...what do you expect? Personally, I expect runny oatmeal, industrial scrambled eggs & muffins from the Reagan administration, all of which this location delivered. However, I wasn't thrilled to see an employee barehand muffin sandwiches from a tray into the serving vessel. Gloves, please!

Overall, the location is decent, the rooms are ok but the overall housekeeping/cleanliness/hygiene needs some work.

Room Tip: Located on a busy hwy so noise is inevitable
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Petros K, General Manager at Residence Inn Columbia, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Hello Lovewine,
Thank you for the detailed information about your experience with us. I'm sorry to hear that your stay was less than stellar. I have already shared your comments with my team so that we can look further into this and rectify your concerns immediately.
We hope you will stay with us again when your travels bring you back to Columbia, MD. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience so we can improve our services.
Huntington Station, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Our daughter's college softball team stayed at this hotel and several parents, including us, opted to stay there as well. The hotel is lovely, especially the outdoor fire pit which we parents thoroughly enjoyed! Rooms are typical of Residence Inn and well maintained. Love the gas fireplaces, tho in one of our rooms it was not working. Would like to recognize 2 employees who were just terrific, Maria Sosa at the Front Desk, Bon, with the maintenance staff, and the nice lady in the breakfast area who helped us with what we needed for a bbq lunch for the team. Both went above and beyond to help us with whatever we needed. Kudos also to Mr. Kfle, the Manager, for making good on some issues experienced in one of our rooms. If the team travels back next year for the same tournament, we will definitely choose to stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I stayed at this Marriott owned (Marriott owns very few of their hotels) Residence Inn January 2nd through the 5th. I have stayed at several Residence Inns, and I always enjoy them. However this particular one left something to be desired.

Upon arrival, I was met by an extremely nice and efficient front desk employee. Overall the few staff I met were great.

Once in my second floor, studio room, all went down hill. Right away I realized my room was missing a window. Normally the room has two windows, but due to the design of the building mine just had one which looked out onto the other part of the building. With parts of the ceiling fairly low, the room just felt a tad depressing.

As I went through the room, I pulled out the sofa bed and found a huge stain of what appeared to be melted chocolate. Clearly housekeeping never looked because it was seriously the size of a normal sized plate. Before I went out to dinner I let the front desk know. When I came back it was replaced.

As for the rest of the room, it is a pretty normal Residence Inn which I enjoy. The only complaint I have is the TV is screwed down so you cannot realistically see the TV from the living area and the bed at the same time.

The breakfast in the morning is fairly generic, as you would expect. The amount of personal seating in the lobby/dining area is nice so if you would like some privacy, it is possible.

Overall I would hope that my experience was a fluke. Obviously the room with one instead of two windows and little natural light is no fluke however if you can avoid that type of room then this Residence Inn is probably a good choice if you are staying in the area.

Stayed January 2014
Petros K, General Manager at Residence Inn Columbia, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review and sharing your experience. Regrettably, we did not meet your expectations during your stay.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to location of the room and the cleanliness of the sofa bed. We would gladly block you into another area of the hotel in a future visit. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction, and as such I will share your feedback with the Housekeeping department as well as all department managers. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

We would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future. If I may be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Talk about loving this place! First off let me say that when I booked this hotel I loved the fact hat they had free cancellation up until the day of. Which really worked for us because we didn't know if the snow would hinder us from going. Loved the fact that I could pay at the hotel.

LOCATION: We like to be a little secluded when it comes to little hotel getaways & this spot is definitely a good contender for it. Residence Inn will have you thinking that you're getting lost, because it's secluded, but yet it's right across from a Chick-fil-A, less than 3 minutes from the grocery store, restaurants, Dunkin Donuts, etc.

When walking into this hotel I LOVED the warm welcome from the front desk clerk & just from the overall atmosphere. We were checked in less than 2 minutes & sent to the room. I really appreciated the fact that we were placed in a room that was far down the hallway yet still near the alternate entrance/exit so we could just walk out to our car.

We had a studio suite & it was absolutely BEAUTIFUL! When my babe walked into the room all he could say was, "Wow!" The room was nice & toasty. Everything was really clean & in order. The setup was like walking into your own studio apartment. The bed comfy & pillows were just right.One thing that I can that I didn't particularly care for was how small the bathroom was. When you lay down the towel that you step on after showering that hinders the bathroom door from being able to completely open. It's a bit tight. I cooked us up a meal & everything that I needed was in the room. From pans, pots, spatula, slotted spoon & even a cork screw for the wine. Only thing I had to buy was some candles & a lighter because everything else was right there at my fingers.

BREAKFAST: When I walked downstairs to get us some breakfast to bring back to the room I got greeted with smiles by the front desk clerk, the cleaning people & hotel staff. The breakfast spread was nice. It wasn't overly crowded at all. They had everything from the Belgian waffle maker, sausage links, eggs, biscuits & gravy, potato wedges, oatmeal, cereal, yogurt, fruit, bagels, etc. There was a lot to choose from. Everything was fully cooked & delicious.

Checkout was a breeze as well. I was cleaning up before we left & I loaded up the dishwasher. When I started it the dishwasher started to leak so I had to stop it & lay down a towel to soak up the water. I did alert the front desk & they were appreciative that I told them & that they would fix it.

Overall, I would say that our stay here was DIVINE & so worth the money! We are DEFINITELY coming back here.

Room Tip: This is definitely a great place to stay!! Hope your review would be as good as mine.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Willingboro, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

The Residence Inn in Columbia, MD is a little off the beaten track, however, it is well worth taking the extra turn to stay at this marvelous facility. Of course it is a Marriott property. The rooms are clean and very spacious, the staff are extremely friendly and accommodating and the hot breakfast is complimentary.

Kudos to a wonderful Front Desk Clerk, Keith Jones who exudes southern hospitality, friendliness and charm. Kudos also to the morning clerk. I cannot say enough about the friendliness of the staff at this property. I had business in Baltimore and did not want to travel back home on January 17 so since I always stay at Marriott properties, I made reservations to stay overnight in Maryland. I am always torn between staying in Columbia or Hanover, MD. And have stayed at this particular hotel many times over the years. This property is always consistent as Marriott's generally are.This property is quiet and peaceful. It is truly one of the best places to stay in Maryland.
Retired Jersey RN

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor facing the back parking lot.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

We have small grandchildren who live with us, so my wife and I decided to have a weekend to ourselves. We chose the Residence Inn because it was close to home since we had to be back early Sunday morning. The front desk staff were very pleasant and engaged. We used points, and we were given a small suite with a fireplace. The room seemed well-kept - not particularly opulent, but very nice. The room was small, but for 2 people, the separate bedroom is a nice touch. There was even popcorn in the room to make in the microwave. The breakfast buffet was a nice touch since the Courtyards have replaced it with a pay-as-you go Starbucks. In the Residence Inn, there were pastries, eggs, sausage, yogurt, waffles and other choices. It was fresh, and coffee was available all day and night.

The only complaint I have is what others have also written about. Our room was on the highway side, and it was very noisy. The walls must not have much insulation as we could hear every car and truck pass, and it did interrupt our sleep. I would recommend and stay here again, but only if I have a room that does not face the highway.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that does not face the highway.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Residence Inn Columbia? Share your experiences!