“Very friendly service” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Ellicott City
Maryland
“Very friendly service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We are just completing a two-week stay with our dog before departing for an overseas position. The staff here has been incredibly friendly. They go well above the call of duty to make our stay pleasant. The breakfast is very limited but the rooms are large and clean. There are lots of restaraunts nearby. The gym is a bit small. But if you have to stay here for an extended period of time the staff makes you feel like family and that is key to a comfortable stay.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

79 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Philadelphia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

I am a Marriott Rewards Member and wanted to stay at the Residence Inn last night. It was about 8:00 PM and raining. I drove around a few times before I figured out where the registration area was. Unfortunately it was back from the parking lot and there were no spaces nearby for me to run in and see if there were any available rooms so I went someplace else for the night. It would have been helpful if a few places were set aside for guests checking in and if Registration was clearly lit. I know Residence Inns are a different concept but this one didn't give a welcoming appearance for a solo traveler

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Willingboro, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

The Residence Inn in Ellicott City/Columbia Maryland is a little-know treasure. It is modern, tastefully furnished and beautifully maintained. It is an excellent choice for families with children as it has a swimming pool and breakfast that includes waffles. This hotel is uber clean, staff are extremely friendly and helpful and it is located in a residential area. The weekend fellow at the desk (I did not get his name) was so accomodating and extremely hospitable.

This property is very quiet and safe. You will be very comfortable and as always, one is never disappointed staying at a Marriott property.

Room Tip: Despite having a room fronting the pool, it was quiet. All rooms are quiet though. The 3rd floor m...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
New Jersy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Great place to stay for a family of 4 with grown children. Clean and comfortable. Very reasonable rates! Everything you need. We had a 2-bedroom suite so kids had their own beds. (pull-out sofa bed was not super comfy but ok for 2 nights for our 6 ft son.) Full size fridge, dishwasher, & stove-top made it easy for us to eat healthy as our kids have dietary issues. Also, the continental free breakfast was very good with lots of healthy choices. Close to all major highways. Stores like Target close by in case you forget something...like a belt for your son's dress pants! Staff was pretty good. Didn't really need them for anything, so not much interaction with them. The only negative is that this place allows pets. So if you have allergies to pet dander, you will feel it. You may also hear dogs barking sometimes.

Room Tip: Ask for 2nd or 3rd floor facing pool or parking lot. Otherwise you'll hear highway traffic and/o...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Not a frequent Residence Inn customer, but this place hits above average. The receptionist, admittedly new, was very friendly and went out of her way to be helpful. The rooms are brand new (renovated) with ample space, a great living room arrangement (chaise lounge!), and nice touches such as Paul Mitchell toiletries. Well stocked kitchen will come in handy for an upcoming extended stay there. Breakfast is varied and well-stocked (typical continental offerings + eggs, potatoes, sausage, etc.). Hot items are rotated for variety.. Catered evening "socials", M-W (?) are convenient.

AVOID ROOMS BY THE HIGHWAY---ask for an odd-numbered room. Otherwise, you'll get to listen to the speedbikes race up and down the hallway all night. I never complain about noise, but I felt like I was a spectator at the race track.

Not a whole lot near the hotel, but there is a Bob Evans, Chik Fil A, and perhaps some other things I missed. VERY convenient for travel to Columbia, about 5-10 minutes away.

Room Tip: Ask for an odd-numbered room away from the highway!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Panhandle, WV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

The TownePlace where I usually stay when working in the area was full, so I elected to try the Residence Inn Columbia. I am glad that I did. My room was one of the best I have had at a Residence Inn. It had obviously been renovated very recently. The sofa had a chaise on the end which was particularly nice after a long workday. The vanity mirror light combo was stylish and produced the perfect amount of light. Unfortunately, the light in the bathroom did not allow as much light to enter the shower area as I would have preferred, but that is minor. While I had a room on the Route 100 side, the traffic was light by the time I went to bed and remained that way until 530 or so. That was a welcomed change from the TownePlace which seems to have traffic noise all through the night.

Service at the hotel was excellent as well. Upon arrival I opened the curtain to find ashes on the windowsill. The room had only a very faint hint of smoke (they had obviously smoked only at the window), but nevertheless I complained to the front desk. The staff looked horrified when I said that someone had smoked in the room. They placed an odor device in the room while I was at dinner. Upon my return there was no evidence of anyone having smoked in the room. When I needed a late checkout, the staff was equally friendly and accommodating. The breakfast and evening social staff, housekeeping, and even facilities staff were all wonderful.

I was initially concerned that the only restaurants directly by the hotel are a Bob Evans and Chik-fil-a. There are actually a number of little restaurants less than a mile away and easily walkable due to sidewalks.

A firepit and grill were being installed and there is still a container in the parking lot. I assume that the renovations must be nearing completion. I will definitely plan to stay at this hotel the next time that I need to travel to the area. I hope that level of service and room condition remain at this high level.

Room Tip: Road side rooms offer more privacy at the price of some road noise. I would avoid first floor rooms...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

This was my first travel assignment with my job and I must say being away from home is already stressful when you are somewhere by yourself and you are not familiar wuth the area, but staying at this hotel didn't make my stay in Columbia any better. I must admit they had breakfast prepared for me every morning and it was always nice. The front desk personal was fair. I will give housekeeping a 3 out of 10 and safety a 0 out of 10. I realized the exit and entrance door to outside near my room was broken and instead of using my key to get in I could just open the door with a little force. I reported this to the front desk on 2 different occasions to 2 different people and no one ever had the door fixed. I felt like my safety wasn't a priority to these people at all. I was notified that renovations would be starting and I was asked to move from the 3rd floor to the 1st floor which was a huge inconvieance to me. I was suppose to have housekeeping every day 7 days a week and I would be lucky to get it 3 times a week. One housekeeper told me that they only get paid for cleaning every 2 rooms and sometimes it's not even worth it to show up for work. I hope once the hotel gets a full renovation the hotel will get better with customer service and hospitality.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Been to Residence Inn Columbia? Share your experiences!