“Excellent Conference Location” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Asheville, North Carolina
“Excellent Conference Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Hosted a trade show in this location for the first time and we'll be back. Hotel is connected, lots of parking, and friendly staff. We used the catering and that worked well. The facility is popular with several events so good to have signage and a registration desk to keep your group exclusive without any of the public walking in by mistake.

The seafood salad in the dining room is excellent! Sleeping rooms were clean and updated fairly recently.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
abushtv, Manager at Turf Valley Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Hi, Stacey -

I'm so glad you enjoyed your experience hosting a conference at Turf Valley and, of course, we would love to have you back again. Thanks so much for your review!

Take care,
eCommerce Manager

(ps - I love the Chesapeake Cobb Salad, too!)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

My daughter was here to participate in the AJGA Tournament. The golf courses of this property clearly deserve the honor to host such an event. The staff as well - PGAs and Front Desk are all class acts - friendly and professional.

Our stay was cut short due to an unfortunate experience. This property seems to welcome all walks of life. Along with beautiful golf courses, a spa, and ballrooms for lavish weddings, there is a hotel to fill with whomever.

If you are ok with this there is something for you here. Otherwise you might want to consider other resorts in the region that stay true to their standards and image.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
abushtv, Manager at Turf Valley Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I am, of course, disappointed to hear of your negative experience here at Turf Valley. It is certainly never the impression that we want to leave our guests with.

Again, thank you for your review. Please feel free to contact me at visitus@turfvalley.com with any questions or concerns I may assist you with.

White Plains, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Excellent stay at the Turf Valley Resort. This was the first year having our annual charity event at Turf Valley and it was truly amazing. The staff was extremely polite and helpful. The rooms are extremely spacious, with microwaves and mini refrigerators, very large bathrooms, decorated nicely and very comfortable. The golf course is amazing and the property is beautiful. The food was excellent and the serving staff was very courteous. The property is very large and has an Olympic size swimming. Guest staying at the resort during the Ball Event thoroughly enjoyed their stay.

Room Tip: The Executive King room is very large and spacious
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thanks for your feedback, Edith! I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your time here at Turf Valley and we hope to see you soon!

Best,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

This was an exceptional experience for a two day event held at this venue. The resort was immaculate clean with a staff of professionals who were available and professionally performed above all high standards expected.

Room Tip: all rooms are excellent
Hi, Gerard -

Thank you for your review! I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again soon.

Take care!
Cedar Rapids
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I have been to proms and had my wedding reception there. Since moving out of state13 years ago I always chose to stay at Turf Valley Resort. I have stayed in the King Suites, Junior Suites and your basic Traditional room. You name it I've stayed in it! The one thing I've noticed is the decaying appearance of the interior. The hallway carpet is warped and I tripped on it walking down the hall. Occasionally the elevator area located on different floors were dirty with handprints. Wallpaper is beginning to peel off in places. I overlook those things because the rooms are so comfy and it feels like home. But this last trip left me feeling sad and disappointed in some things Turf Valley allowed! I love dogs. But guests were bringing multiple dogs in rooms. Leaving the dogs unattended! Dogs were barking back and forth across the hall to each other for hours! I mean four hours! I called and asked the front desk to do anything. They told me there was a wedding and the owners would return soon. The barking continued . Four calls two trips down to desk attendant later they tell me they would move my room but none were available. I called one last time and asked them to please send someone up to hear how loud the barking had become. Finally, they came and listened. Then they tried to locate owners who weren't even in the building at all. The front desk laughed at me when I complained! I told them the dogs were scratching the door in a panic! Bad owners! Not good service! I'm okay with dogs but that was ridiculous and would not stay there more.

• Stayed July 2014
abushtv, Manager at Turf Valley Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding your recent stay. I've shared your review with our management so that the issues you mentioned can be addressed.

Please feel free to contact me at visitus@turfvalley.com if there is anything else I can do for you.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I had an extended stay at Turf Valley while attending a conference there for three weeks. Overall, my stay was okay--with some pluses and some minuses. I was booked in an Executive King room that overlooked the golf course. The room was very spacious and clean, but the furnishings and carpet were rather dated and worn. My room included a microwave, mini-refrigerator, extensive desk/counter space, couch area, and an over-sized bathroom. These amenities made my lengthy stay more comfortable; however, the refrigerator seemed to operate at a barely-cold temperature. There were some noise issues with the room: (1) the air conditioning unit is *incredibly* loud and kept me awake the first few nights I was there--fortunately, I was able to tune it out after a while; and (2) music from wedding receptions held on Friday/Saturday evenings could be heard well into the night. (Note: The hotel is overrun with wedding parties/guests on the weekends.)

I had a lot of time to explore and make use of the hotel's amenities, including the pool, fitness area, nature trail, and restaurant/room service. It was nice to have the option to use an indoor or outdoor pool--both were clean, accessible, and not overly crowded. The fitness center was among the better hotel gyms I've used--with many weight machines and a good selection of cardio equipment and free weights. The women's locker room was spacious, clean, and offered free locker use and a sauna. The nature trail was a pleasant area in which to take walks, but it's not well-marked; one weekend, my fiancé and I took a wrong turn and ended up on the golf course, which doubled the trek we'd expected to make that particular morning.

I ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant several times, and it left much to be desired. Often, the breakfast service was understaffed, which resulted in exceedingly long wait times for very basic orders such as continental breakfast or a bagel with fruit. On a few occasions, the wait was so long that I had to leave before my meal arrived. Other times, the servers all but forgot to put in or bring out orders--and they were not very apologetic about it. A buffet was available on the weekends, but the quality of most of the buffet items was subpar. I had room service a few nights, which was surprisingly quick but the quality of the food was average. It should be noted that the kitchen closes at 10pm(!!!), so forget about any late-night meals or room service.

The hotel is on a large grounds and is fairly isolated. If you are staying there, you must have a vehicle to access any stores or restaurants. If you don't, there is a hotel shuttle that will drive guests to shops within a very limited radius and on a limited schedule/limited availability.

One aspect of my stay that I found particularly frustrating was the discrepancy between their claim of of being dog-friendly and the reality of their policies. My fiancé and pet pooch visited me at the resort on weekends, and we quickly learned that the hotel was actually not a very friendly place to dogs at all. Yes, dogs are allowed to stay in hotel rooms--after paying a pet deposit--but that's really the extent of it. There are no common areas in the hotel where dogs are welcome. They can roam the parking lot and the nature trail. Given that the hotel is in a pretty isolated area, we had to leave and find actual pet-friendly restaurants and attractions off-site. To compound this frustration, at least five different employees gave me contradicting information about the dog policies. Some claimed that dogs were allowed on the dining patio, but then we learned that they weren't. Others said dogs were allowed on the pool patio, and then other staff prohibited it. Clearly, the hotel staff are not well-educated--or consistently educated--in this particular area.

Now, let's talk about the internet service or lack of it. Turf Valley was by far the worst hotel Internet experience I've had in the United States--and comparable to the Internet access I've had in some developing countries. More than 75% of the time, I could not access reliable wireless Internet. About 50% of the time, I had no mobile phone reception there. Turf Valley *must* upgrade their Internet capacity. I found their party line excuse unacceptable: "when the hotel is crowded, there are more people competing for the connection, which slows wireless down." In this day and age, that's unacceptable. Other businesses ensure that their patrons can access reliable wireless whether or not their establishment is crowded. In particular, if Turf Valley is trying to attract business conferences, they have to cater to the needs of the business people, which includes reliable wireless Internet in order to conduct business.

The conference services were more consistent than the accommodations. The conference rooms were adequate for our purposes; some of the ballrooms were very nice. The food/food service was much better, and the staff were very attentive.

Hi, Jennifer -

Thank you so much for your thorough review. Your comments have been passed on to the appropriate staff and have prompted many discussions. Feedback like yours is what helps us consistently work to improve the Turf Valley experience for our guests.

Please let me know if you have nay further feedback or concerns - you can contact me directly at visitus@turfvalley.com.

Thanks again,
Akron, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

First the good things. The grounds are beautiful with flowers blooming everywhere. The workout room had several treadmills and ellipticals and a bike. There were several Life Fitness machines and everything seemed to be in working order. The restaurant had a great view of the golf course. The bed was comfortable and the bedding was nice. The banquet meal we had in the evening was very good.

Now the downside. The place really needs to be spruced up. The bathroom door knob was coming loose, the TV remote came apart, there was mold in the corners of the shower and the toilet rim was dirty. The carpet needed cleaning. The air-conditioning was very loud and the room varied between uncomfortably hot and cold.

The hostess in the restaurant wasn't very good. We came in for breakfast and the restaurant was about a third full. She told us we'd have to wait until a table was cleaned and 10 minutes later we were still waiting. She didn't contact anyone and the wait staff was oblivious to us. We finally told her we'd clean one if it was that much of a problem but we wanted to have breakfast. As we walked to a table she reluctantly got hold of a busboy and we had a table in another five minutes or so.

I ordered fruit and an order of toast. The "order" consisted of one small pitiful piece of bread for $2. I was hungry but not enough to pay $4 for two pieces which I consider an order.

We came back at about 1 PM for lunch and the restaurant was empty. The same hostess was on the phone with her back turned to us and we again stood there waiting. She never turned around or acknowledged us. Finally I walked around the corner and found someone else who seated us. The waitress who served us did a great job. She was friendly and efficient.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Turf Valley Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!