“A motel 6 is better” 1 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
joedt
“A motel 6 is better”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2008

The staff is rude and mean and the food is terrible i came from seoul korea for an event?

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2008

We bid on a two night, two days of golf package through a public television auction. A good decision. The junior suite room was spacious with cozy bed and linens/duvet , spacious bathroom and two person sized shower .This room included a nice FREE continental breakfast (juice,coffee, danish, yogurt, hot/cold cereal, bagels) in the executive lounge. The golf staff were great - friendly and helpful. The courses were in wonderful condition. Dinner and lunch at Alexandra restaurant were upscale in style, yummy in taste and reasonable in price.
Only negative is that the main areas and Alexandra's need their carpet replaced. It was shabby and made a poor impression.

• Stayed October 2008
Eastern Shore, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2008

We got a great rate for Turf Valley from bidding on Priceline, but I was a bit skeptical about the hotel after reading the reviews here on tripadvisor. The Turf Valley far exceed my expectations! It was, by far, the best hotel room/stay I have ever had. We had a room on the sixth floor that was huge! The bed was very comfortable, great linens, very large bathroom with quality products. We enjoyed it so much, we booked it again for next week. I highly recommend Turf Valley Resort.

• Liked — Large, renovated, bright room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Baltimore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2008

We spent the week-end and actually checked out a day early. We were extremely disappointed with the food, the food service, and the overall way we were treated. We ordered room service breakfast the first morning,and when my husband went out of the room for a walk, he saw that they had not removed the menu from the door the night before. We called and they delivered the breakfast as ordered. Had he not left the room before breakfast, we would have never gotten breakfast at all. The second night we put the room service menu on the door. At 7:45 a. m. they called and woke us up to find out what we had ordered,saying they had lost the menu"tag". We were not happy. Our breakfast dishes were still in front of our room when we came up from dinner that night!We had called the number for dish removal after we finished as they asked. There were 2 wine glasses left in the hallway the whole week-end,and we had to tell the front desk to get the dishes removed. That being said, the restaurant
was out of three veggies on the menu and at least one entree we ordered they were out of. It took 45 minutes for my husband to get his salad, and the waitress blamed it on the kitchen, when we didn't care whos fault it was at all. The spa was OK except while I was in my robe waiting for service, along with several other women, a young man who was applying for a job there was sat down at a table in the same room and was still there when I went in for my facial. They should have had him go somewhere else with the application, I thought. The changing room floor was covered in water and wasn't very clean. I could go on but I think the point is that the whole stay was not a pleasurable one. A waste of money at best.

• Liked — closeness to home
  • Disliked — food and service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2007

I recently stayed at the Turf Valley for two nights. When we checked in we were given a room on the 3rd floor. It was an OK room, very small, but clean. The "hallway" had a drop ceiling that was a little stained with water marks. The bathroom had one very dim light and the shower area was dark. The room had only one double bed, which was a real disappointment. There was no fridge. But compared to what I read about the resort, I figured it wasn't too bad, even though very expensive for the discounted rate I'd been given.

Later that day when more family arrived to check in, they were given rooms on the 5th floor. What a difference!!! The 5th and 6th floors have recently been remodeled and it's like stepping into a different hotel! The decor is much more modern and the rooms were three times bigger than what I was in on the 3rd floor, maybe even larger. They called them Junior Suites and they featured a king bed with lots of new linens and downy pillows, a chair and ottoman, and a loveseat that folded out into a double bed and a microwave and fridge hidden in the cabinets that were along the windows. We asked for an upgrade and were given one to the 5th floor and our room was similar to the others but we had the addition of a wet bar, fridge and mircowave. We also had two sliding doors to a narrow balcony overlooking the pool. Each style of room also featured a walk in closet, an enormous bathroom with a shower (no tub) and...complimentary Wi Fi internet that you viewed on a huge plasma TV! We were much happier with the new room as was the rest of our group that was either placed on the 5th floor automatically or upgraded.

We ate at the Tavern on the Green restaurant and bar and found the food pricing to be very reasonable for the type of resort we were in. Even the alcohol was priced better than we were expecting.

Turf Valley would be a nice place to stay if you were planning to use their golf course, meeting rooms, banquets or spas. I wouldn't return to use it as a hotel in the Baltimore area as I think there are better values elsewhere. But I was very impressed with the staff at the front desk during the upgrades of the rooms.

Stayed August 2007
San Diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2007

I was here for a two day business trip. My room was in the older wing and the sheets were like gauze and had holes in them. When I complained to the front desk and asked for better sheets, they sent someone up who handed me the new sheets. I guess I was supposed to put them on myself... If I hadn't been on a conference call at the time I would have complained about this, but perhaps it was for the best as I had to double up on the sheets as well as put one on top of the gross bedspread to make the room habitable. A coworker was in the newer wing which looked nice, though. What I don't understand is how they could not afford at least new sheets for the older wing - you would think once you had complained they would bring up better sheets. I have never been to a hotel with different sheet categories. The food at Alexandra's was OK, but the hotel in general was lackluster and definitly not worth the $$ if you have a choice where to stay.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — the rooms
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
phila, pa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2007

BEWARE...... Things to look out for at Turf Valley........
1. Being charged for items already paid for in a package and having to debate with hotel manager for refund.
2. Seafood and a mayo based sauce sitting out for 120 minutes uncovered and having to debate safety/health issues with manager.
3. Linens of poor quality and not fitting and having to deabte with housekeeping about yourself not wanting to change the bed linens.
4. Hair in shower and on bathroom floor.
Is this info hearsay??? No, I just lived the moment last weekend.
I will not visit Turf Valley again.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Too many issues with service
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Turf Valley Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!