“Another pleasant surprise...” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Southern Maryland
“Another pleasant surprise...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We had to occasion to stay here last week for a family funeral. I have been to Turf Valley on several occasions for different banquets but have not stayed here before. Wow! what a nice surprise. When I called the reservation desk just the day before and told her why we were coming, she immediately quoted us a bereavement price. When we arrived to check in, Stephanie immediately upgraded both our rooms to a king suite without even asking! Stephanie, you rock and we really did appreciate your kindness and attention during this stressful time. The rooms were gigantic and so well appointed as were the bathrooms. Yes this is an older building but it has been rehabbed and done quite well. It was peaceful and quiet until 6:30 a.m. the next morning when the construction crews started up right outside our window. Of course we understand that there must be construction but at 6:30 a.m.? This was our only complaint. We also had a WONDERFUL dinner at Alexander's which is the in-house restaurant. Crab cakes and steak were outstanding. We would most certainly stay here again. Of course the grounds are just gorgeous because it is a golf resort mainly. Oh and I forgot, my sister & I made use of the indoor pool & spa which too was just wonderful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

170 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Wapwallopen, pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Turf City Resort is an excellent location for a business conference. It has 36 holes of golf, a spa, exercise facilities and a great location near Washington, DC. The food is the best banquet and conference food ever. Only downside is the well-used interior furnishings. Worth a look for a conference.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed from Fri to Mon at the Resort for the wedding of our son. Our room was as big as some apartments I've seen. There was a mini-kitchen, a sitting area, a huge bathroom with the toilet in a separate room & the mattress & pillows were to die for. The staff are all pleasant & gracious. We ate breakfast once at their restaurant. It was very good except our waiter was a tad slow bringing cream for my coffee & forgetting our toast. The wedding reception was held in the Wedgewood Room. It was lovely. Couldn't ask for better service & the food was great. The crab cakes were made of large pieces of crab with very little filler to hold them together. I have no complaints. We were on the 6th floor with lovely views, it was very quiet & the rooms were spotless. I would stay their again with no hesitation.

Room Tip: Book an executive room with a king-size bed, mini-kitchen with microwave & refrigerator & a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
abushtv, Manager at Turf Valley Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Hi, Toni -

Thanks so much for your reviews here and on the page for our restaurant, Alexandra's American Fusion. I'm so glad you enjoyed the wedding and your stay!

We hope to see you again soon - thank you,
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed three nights to attend my son's wedding. The hotel is gorgeous. We had a room (as large as some apartments!) with a luxurious king-sized bed with mattress & pillows to die for. We were on the sixth floor & it was very quiet. The rooms are spotless; you could hold a party in the large shower; and the front desk & housekeeping were very gracious. Breakfast was good in the restaurant, but the waiter was a little slow bringing cream, coffee & our toast. The wedding reception was held in the Wedgewood room. Food & staff were fabulous. The crab cakes were pure meat with hardly any filler. What can I add? I would definitely recommend this resort!!

Room Tip: Get a room with a king-sized bed. Rooms are huge with sitting areas, microwave, refrigerator, small...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

It was a comfortable stay in a 2 bedroom suite, which was reasonably priced. It was a little dated, but overall it was a good hotel. I would rate it a 6.5 with 10 being the highest. Excellent golf course views. The hotel is conveniently located off of a major roadway with all types of stores and restaurants.

• Stayed September 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Stayed there on business..After checking in, my key would not work three times...had to return to the desk two time to finally get it right. The young front desk crew appeared more interested in their reading material (lloked like college course work) then making the customer happy.

The rooms were spacious, and clean.

The restaruant needs to take a customer service class..after checking in after a long flight, I went to eat dinner....I was told I needed a reservation....this inspite of the restaurant was 3/4's empty. I mentioned that I was a guest in the hotel and that it was Father's day...the response was like "so what".

I mentioned to the front desk and their response was the same....one would think that some tables would be set aside for hotel guests...particularly when the restaurant was nearly empty! I think their man focus is on the golf course and its' patrons....NOT the hotel guest.....will not return!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hi, Andrew -

I'm glad you enjoyed your room and I thank you for sharing your concerns regarding the service you received during your stay. We are always striving to improve and I have shared your feedback with the appropriate team members in an effort to do so.

Please don't hesitate to contact us at visitus@turfvalley.com if you have any further questions or concerns, or if we can assist you in any way.

Norwalk, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a night since we were attending a party in the hotel for an anniversary. Since there were 3 adults sharing a room, I was encouraged to get a "suite" so the two twin beds of the other room wouldn't be too cramped. What a mistake.
Front desk staff was cordial at best, and were wearing outfits reminscient of a 1990's Blockbuster Video store. The hotel looked like it hadn't been updated since the 80's. The "suite" we were promised was barely larger than a single room. The bathroom light could only be turned on in conjunction with a light in the hallway which made a loud noise and lit up an entire area. The pull out couch had a mattress about an inch thick with a blanket much like a Kleenex. The bed itself was on a slant. The actual bed was supposed to be a queen sized bed, but I would doubt that. The bathroom shower didn't drain properly and the water temperature actually began scalding and had to be cooled down.
I foolishly made an appointment at the "spa" which was not relaxing at all. I arrived to a "relaxation room" that had people speaking loudly. I was offered no robe to change into, and I was greeted 5 minutes late by a woman who greeted me like she was in a rush. I was taken to a room that smelled vaguely of fish and was asked "so what do you want?" I'm not sure what that meant and had never been asked that at the start of a spa treatment. To be fair, the massage was very good, but I definitely could have gotten the same at a local day spa. Not at all what I was expecting from a "resort." The food at the party was SALTY and no coffee or tea was offered with dessert. We actually had to ask.
The only reason I gave it three stars was that it was clean and the gold course looked very nice. Other than that, definitely not worth $200 per night.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear of your disappointment with your stay; that is certainly not the Turf Valley experience we strive for. I have shared your comments with our team so that we may continue to improve.

visitus@turfvalley.com

Been to Turf Valley Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!