“You get what you pay for” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2700 Turf Valley Road, Ellicott City, MD 21042   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Ellicott City
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York
“You get what you pay for”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

It was a comfortable stay in a 2 bedroom suite, which was reasonably priced. It was a little dated, but overall it was a good hotel. I would rate it a 6.5 with 10 being the highest. Excellent golf course views. The hotel is conveniently located off of a major roadway with all types of stores and restaurants.

• Stayed September 2013

169 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Stayed there on business..After checking in, my key would not work three times...had to return to the desk two time to finally get it right. The young front desk crew appeared more interested in their reading material (lloked like college course work) then making the customer happy.

The rooms were spacious, and clean.

The restaruant needs to take a customer service class..after checking in after a long flight, I went to eat dinner....I was told I needed a reservation....this inspite of the restaurant was 3/4's empty. I mentioned that I was a guest in the hotel and that it was Father's day...the response was like "so what".

I mentioned to the front desk and their response was the same....one would think that some tables would be set aside for hotel guests...particularly when the restaurant was nearly empty! I think their man focus is on the golf course and its' patrons....NOT the hotel guest.....will not return!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
abushtv, Manager at Turf Valley Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Hi, Andrew -

I'm glad you enjoyed your room and I thank you for sharing your concerns regarding the service you received during your stay. We are always striving to improve and I have shared your feedback with the appropriate team members in an effort to do so.

Please don't hesitate to contact us at visitus@turfvalley.com if you have any further questions or concerns, or if we can assist you in any way.

Norwalk, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a night since we were attending a party in the hotel for an anniversary. Since there were 3 adults sharing a room, I was encouraged to get a "suite" so the two twin beds of the other room wouldn't be too cramped. What a mistake.
Front desk staff was cordial at best, and were wearing outfits reminscient of a 1990's Blockbuster Video store. The hotel looked like it hadn't been updated since the 80's. The "suite" we were promised was barely larger than a single room. The bathroom light could only be turned on in conjunction with a light in the hallway which made a loud noise and lit up an entire area. The pull out couch had a mattress about an inch thick with a blanket much like a Kleenex. The bed itself was on a slant. The actual bed was supposed to be a queen sized bed, but I would doubt that. The bathroom shower didn't drain properly and the water temperature actually began scalding and had to be cooled down.
I foolishly made an appointment at the "spa" which was not relaxing at all. I arrived to a "relaxation room" that had people speaking loudly. I was offered no robe to change into, and I was greeted 5 minutes late by a woman who greeted me like she was in a rush. I was taken to a room that smelled vaguely of fish and was asked "so what do you want?" I'm not sure what that meant and had never been asked that at the start of a spa treatment. To be fair, the massage was very good, but I definitely could have gotten the same at a local day spa. Not at all what I was expecting from a "resort." The food at the party was SALTY and no coffee or tea was offered with dessert. We actually had to ask.
The only reason I gave it three stars was that it was clean and the gold course looked very nice. Other than that, definitely not worth $200 per night.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear of your disappointment with your stay; that is certainly not the Turf Valley experience we strive for. I have shared your comments with our team so that we may continue to improve.

Ellicott City, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I live 5 minutes from Turf Valley -- needed a place to stay last night around 11 due to house guests staying an extra night at my place. I've lived close by for almost 20 years and never stayed at Turf Valley, or even seen the rooms. What a pleasant surprise! We had an executive king room for an excellent price. The room was quite large, with a comfortable sitting area, bathroom with huge shower and separate toilet room; microwave and fridge. The bed was very comfortable, and the heavy curtains kept the room pretty dark in the morning. The decor is only slightly dated. I thought it was extremely clean and well kept. Four Seasons it's not -- i.e. not super luxe. That said, I was very very impressed with this local gem. Incredible value. I will definitely send friends and relative there when visiting when my place is over-filled.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi -

Thank you for your review - we're always thrilled when our neighbors discover that Turf Valley is a great getaway right in their backyard. I hope you'll come by and try out our restaurant and spa!

Hope to see you soon - thank you,
Marietta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

For a "resort" this accommodation falls far short of expectations and is just average. When checking in the desk clerk was short and disinterested. The room keys were placed in a photocopied sheet of paper that was folded and stapled with information that was just barely readable. It is odd that we received a coupon for one gratis breakfast as the room was occupied by two people; why not some percentage of the entire bill, to encourage patronage as the restaurant was just about empty during dinner and breakfast while we were there?
As to the room, the sink had rust in it and the bathtub was stained and dirty. The best part of the room, was you did not need a night light. The door has about a 1/2" spacing all around so you have plenty of light from the hallway. However, kudos for the bed as it was comfortable. The lack of consideration for our stay was again found during checkout. We were not even asked how our stay was, and we received our bill on letterhead that was photocopied from an original that was not even aligned with the columns.
Recommendation, there are better valued and higher quality places to stay in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi -

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear of your disappointment with your stay at Turf Valley. I have passed your remarks on to the appropriate team members so we may continue to improve.

Frederick, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I have been to many hotels and for the price...this by far the best kept secret in md. The accommodations where excellent. I little elbow grease might be in order, but overall great We opted for the executive suite was greatly surprised We definitely will go again. Near everything and easy to find.

Room Tip: opt for room with king size bed and suite worth it
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Nags Head, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel has all the amenities of a very fancy hotel without the stuffiness. It's located in a beautiful country setting with golf, tennis and swimming on the premises. I stay there every time I am in the area. The staff are welcoming and friendly and they always remember me from my previous stays. They have great deals, so check out the specials.

Room Tip: The executive kings are huge. Ask for a room overlooking the pool or the golf course.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Turf Valley Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!