“Wonderful Wedding” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Baltimore, Maryland
“Wonderful Wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I am so surprised to read such a bad review. My youngest son was married at Turf 6 years ago and my middle son was married there this past July! We booked over 50 rooms and believe you me my daughter in laws mom and I check out many rooms when booking the wedding. We are very picky and would have died if our guest had bad nasty rooms or stinky towels. I am quite shocked to read such negative comments. We dined at all of the restaurants during our weekend wedding stay and had great meals. We had a rehearal dinner, wedding and Sunday brunch for our guests.Our friends and family enjoyed the pool. The wedding Gazebo was beautifully landscaped and well maintained. We worked with Carol in the booking department and she was top notch. ALWAYS there for our every question and need. Truly a great experience. I hope that the people who had a bad experience will give TV another try.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Came here for work, and this 3 star property has a lot going for it, convenient to Baltimore or Columbia, not far from Montgomery County or Annapolis, and a golf course too (though I didn't play). But the rooms need an overhaul, plus the beds are a bit soft. While some common areas had been renovated, many were not. The staff were very pleasant, and the food was okay for a conference, but not great.

• Stayed January 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I have been a guest at this hotel for over six years. For several reasons:

1)They treat me like family and everyone knows my name. And over the years the service of the front desk which was always friendly is now competent and professional. Best team to date. (Kudos to all of them and their fearless leader - true class act - so glad he returned)
2) The rooms are great. I watched this property improve the past six years. The new product meets industry standards. Amazing views and good amenities (excellent idea to getting rid of coffee pots and providing Krueig machines)
3)They dont nickle and dime. Parking is free, so is internet. I got two pools, a fitness center and the driving range.
4)The new bar is also a favorite of mine. WOW what a transformation of a restaurant. (Always enjoy a drink as I converse with Kevin or Todd) (Diane's warm welcome is a better start to my morning than OJ) (and the chef - so glad he returned too)
5) And finally the VIP Lounge is gone (which was way below industry standards). Now I get real breakfast included. (real juice and coffee)

Still room for improvement in some areas - elevators, curb appeal and room service.

However, the efforts and passion of the ownership and senior management team deserves recognition and as a result will always get my loyalty.

Thank You for making me feel at home.

Room Tip: Seventh Floor - feels like a VIP Level. Only a couple suites. Most with amazing views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Bethel, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I was back in my hometown of Maryland. We stayed for three nights. The Spa was Great. They have an indoor swimming pool, whirlpool, dry sauna and gym that's included with the stay.
The restaurant was Excellent/try the Seafood salad.
They had a High School Band play Christmas Music at the Fairway Lounge.
Make sure you take the Nature Trail!!
Nicely Decorated!!
November 28th thru December1, 2012.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

They are nice at the front desk but are too busy on their cell phones they never charged my credit card correctly.

The first night we stayed and the only night! We found stains (redish brown). So we called the front desk and housekeeping was closed for the night. Not much customer service in that department. Finally a security guard brings us sheets and just hands them to me.

I am not paying $140 a night for a king suite to have to change my own sheets!

• Stayed December 2012

Travelers are raving about these Ellicott City hotels

NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed here the first weekend in November for a wedding (not at Turf). The hotel itself was very nice, the people very friendly, and facilities also nice. We used the gym while there - the cardio equipment was great (TVs on all ). The free wts needed a little help (updating and dirty). The stationary machines were good. The pool and hot tub were also nice and warm, but the ceilings needed to be re-done. Didn't use the spa, but the menu looked awesome (resort prices). The spa bathrooms were really nice.
The regular queen size rooms were OK. I don't think they renovated these yet, hopefully they will soon. The suites w/ a mini kitchen, bedroom and bathroom were really nice (got to check one out) and for the extra $10 per night next time I would upgrade to that room even if i didn't need the extra room.
Overall will stay here again when need be and a great experience!!!
*Try the MD crabcake salad from the "quick lunch" menu at the downstairs bar. GOOOOOOD!

Room Tip: grab a suite- but not all have a golf course view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

My husband and I visited for my birthday in November. I went primarily to experience the spa. The staff and the spa facility was very pleasant. The hotel has plenty of free parking and a plentiful Sunday brunch. I didn't have the brunch, but my husband did (while I was at the spa). He is pretty hard to please, he said the food was "ok".
The facility is a little dated and the hotel room was like visiting your grandmother and staying in the guest room that she remodeled in the early 90's. I like to think of it as retro, but it really could use an update. I can tell that there have been a few updates like the tile in the bathroom but the fixtures, carpet, sink, tub, etc. looks to have been in place for a few decades.
The grounds were well groomed, even though it was fall and just about everything had browned over, you can tell they took great pride in the appearance of the facility.
The spa, however, was very nice and serene. I had three treatments - each done by a different technician. They were all very professional and pleasant. The spa facility, connected to the hotel, is also very clean. My only down side to the spa is that it shares a locker room with the pool. After spending the afternoon relaxing, I opened the once tidy, quiet locker room to about half dozen unaccompanied little girls, squealing and giggling and leaving puddles and dirty towels on every inch of the floor. An adult did finally come in to retrieve the girls but by that time, I was dressed and ready to leave. I wanted to take advantage of the sauna and the showers but it was way too busy.
Overall, I had a great time. It is worth driving there. For my husband and me, Turf Valley is less than an hour away. I am thinking about treating my parents to Sunday brunch one day. I think they will like it, there were several senior citizens at brunch Sunday. Oh, and the dining room overlooks the golf course and there is live music as well.
I can see why someone might want to have their wedding at Turf Valley - it is easy to get to and the facility, while old and outdated, is pretty.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor with a view of the outside pool. I hope it was just our room and not the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Turf Valley Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!