“The spa was great” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Silver Spring, Maryland
“The spa was great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

My husband and I visited for my birthday in November. I went primarily to experience the spa. The staff and the spa facility was very pleasant. The hotel has plenty of free parking and a plentiful Sunday brunch. I didn't have the brunch, but my husband did (while I was at the spa). He is pretty hard to please, he said the food was "ok".
The facility is a little dated and the hotel room was like visiting your grandmother and staying in the guest room that she remodeled in the early 90's. I like to think of it as retro, but it really could use an update. I can tell that there have been a few updates like the tile in the bathroom but the fixtures, carpet, sink, tub, etc. looks to have been in place for a few decades.
The grounds were well groomed, even though it was fall and just about everything had browned over, you can tell they took great pride in the appearance of the facility.
The spa, however, was very nice and serene. I had three treatments - each done by a different technician. They were all very professional and pleasant. The spa facility, connected to the hotel, is also very clean. My only down side to the spa is that it shares a locker room with the pool. After spending the afternoon relaxing, I opened the once tidy, quiet locker room to about half dozen unaccompanied little girls, squealing and giggling and leaving puddles and dirty towels on every inch of the floor. An adult did finally come in to retrieve the girls but by that time, I was dressed and ready to leave. I wanted to take advantage of the sauna and the showers but it was way too busy.
Overall, I had a great time. It is worth driving there. For my husband and me, Turf Valley is less than an hour away. I am thinking about treating my parents to Sunday brunch one day. I think they will like it, there were several senior citizens at brunch Sunday. Oh, and the dining room overlooks the golf course and there is live music as well.
I can see why someone might want to have their wedding at Turf Valley - it is easy to get to and the facility, while old and outdated, is pretty.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor with a view of the outside pool. I hope it was just our room and not the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

170 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Lockport, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Turf Valley for a wedding that was held at the resort and were very pleased with our stay. The room was large, had a nice bathroom and was clean. The grounds are beautiful. Very nice place to stay. Wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed October 2012
KeyWest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed here for a late night wedding reception and we really enjoyed ourselves. I read the reviews and took the hint from Grandfromage22 to take the room looking west with the balcony.
Awesome... Deal @ 169.00 and they put on a beautiful outdoor wedding venue during sunset the moved inside to a wonderful cocktail hour... just wish the had more than two bartenders... Guess that keeps the guests sober. Great Dinner Crab Cake and Filet Mignon.. Awesome Friends, Furnishings, Food and Spirits... May not be furnished like the Waldorf Astoria but for the price and the friendly hotel staff I would like to stay here again.

Room Tip: Yes.... Choose a suite room on the 7th floor with a balcony looking west ! Awesome
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

If you just want to golf, this place would be fine. There are no other amenities available , the spa is not great, there is no one around to assist you if you need anything, no help with luggage available, no shop for anything you may have forgotten. The front desk staff is friendly but slow and has no information for travelers to the area.

If you are looking fo a family or couples resort, move on.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I were looking forward to a relaxing evening including a nice dinner at Turf Valley's signature restaurant. We've dined there before there renovations and had a great experience the first time back in Feb 2012. However, we ha a very different experience in Sep 2012. Let me start off by saying the ambiance was fantastic and the decor of the restaurant was inviting and relaxing which was great.

However, there were not enough servers and the servers that they had were less than mediocre at best. We ordered drinks and our server forgot to pick them up multiple times. We ordered salad with dressing on the side, an the salad came out after a log wait with dressing covered all over it. When the salad order was remade, it took almost 15 minutes.

We both ordered filet minion as our entree it was served in what looked like microwave thin fries which had an awful taste. Furthermore, I ordered my filet Pittsburg style medium and it tasted like they flamed the top and bottom with a torch as it tasted like gasoline and the inside was raw.

My wife ordered her filet well done and it came out alright without the disgusting taste if gasoline.

I told my server about it, and nothing was done to correct it. In fact he thought it was funny that I sliced the top and bottom of the filet to try and eat the middle layer...

The desserts, were very good though.

My recommendation, maybe it was just a fluke, and they are not normally this horrible, but we will not be coming back to this resort again. We will find another spa/hotel/dinner location for next time.

• Stayed September 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

This place is anything but resort. Tonight there is no hot water in the room. The linens are smelly, and the bedding is from the times of the Great War. The bath tub is dirty. The signs of long overdue repairs are everywhere, in the dirty grout, bad faucets, dirty carpets and unwashed towels. How many more times can one say DIRTY!

• Stayed October 2012
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Facilitated a group's retreat and stayed overnight. Attractive resort, beautiful grounds, very generously sized rooms. Very clean. Pleasant staff. Super-great seafood salad; it alone warrants visiting. Understand from client that prices were reasonable. Definitely would revisit, even book for an event.

Room Tip: Ask for room with golf-course/water view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Turf Valley Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!