“stay for conference” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
maryland
“stay for conference”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

it was our first time here but second year for our conference at this location. hotel was very clean everywhere we went; meeting rooms, lobby, rooms, etc. the keurig in the room was a nice feature but there was only 1 kind of tea available (will bring my selections if returning). we had a standard guest room which was adequate for our needs. every staff member we encountered was friendly. the food for lunch & dinner for the conference was good. overall, i would recommend this place to friends & those needing a nice place for a cenference.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Manassas, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

We live in Virginia and our big fans of the beautiful wine yards. We had no idea MD even had any. We booked this package for a weekend getaway and experience Black Ankle. The value of this package is excellent. For less than $300 we got a very nice room, tour of Black Ankle, a bottle of wine, and two meals at the restaurant. (Turf Valley provided the van trip - driver "Tim" was a charm)

We highly recommend this package, however advise everyone to explore other restaurants and honestly prefer not to eat there again. Dinner was borderline OK (their was a new menu - but food took a very long time and did not taste great) and breakfast was not satisfactory to any level (horrible buffet presentation)

We will be back in the Spring to visit Black Ankle again. Our plans will probably be booking the same room and visiting the Spa and playing golf. THANKS

Room Tip: Call hotel directly. Very friendly and accommodating concierge team. Book a junior suite!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
abushtv, Manager at Turf Valley Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 26, 2011
Thank you so much for your review. The Black Ankle Winery Tour Package is one of our most popular getaways and I'm very glad you enjoyed it! I have shared your concerns about the restaurant with the appropriate staff - thank you for that feedback.

We look forward to having you back again - since you want to include the Golf & Spa experience during your next stay, I recommend you ask about our Couple's Golf & Spa Overnight Getaway Package when you are ready to book.

Again, thank you for your review. Please feel free to contact me at visitus@turfvalley.com if I can be of any assistance in the future.

Virgilina, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

I grew up in Baltimore and Turf Valley always had a special allure. My husband and I attended his 50th high school reunion this past weekend at Turf Valley. Someone told me that Turf Valley had been voted the best spa/resort - by whom?

The room was the smallest I had ever stayed in outside of London, England. Two queen beds - a dresser - end tables - small desk - no chair to sit and read - no reading lights. The bathroom was about big enough to turn around in. No place to put anything. The second day when we returned to the room after breakfast they had cleaned the room but only made one of the beds - huh?

About the food - bring your own. They only had a breakfast buffet and anything would be better than what they had. The eggs came out of a box for sure and the french toast was plastered to the bottom of the pan and stuck together. It was really bad. No separate menu - only a buffet.

A small nit - room service for breakfast does not start until 7 am - I guess they figure that you are going to be so hung over from the event the night before you won't open your eyes until 7 am. Wrong.

One positive note - the dinner they served at the reunion event was very good.

This is not a cheap place - definitely not worth it - Red Roof Inn would be better.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Hi, Sharon -

I'm sorry to hear of the experience you had at Turf Valley. We do offer several room types encompassing a variety of sizes and amenities; I'm sorry you were displeased with your option. Thank you for your feedback about the restaurant - I have shared your comments with the appropriate staff - and I'm glad you enjoyed your meal service at the reunion.

Please don't hesitate to contact me at visitus@turfvalley.com if you have any further questions or concerns, or if I can assist you in any way.

Edison, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

I spent the last weekend at this hotel for a wedding. I decided to arrive on Friday since there was a rehearsal dinner. Arrival was great. The sense of satisfaction hit home run with the beautiful golf courses and pond. Check in was friendly. The room was standard, but clean and comfortable offering free internet.

First Impression

The rehearsal dinner was a DISASTER! I have never experienced such a lack of quality and service in my life from any restaurant. Our food was BEYOND late (main course coming out at 10PM!). It was not even worth the wait. The crab cakes were cold and tasteless. I mean come on - in Maryland! The salads were disgusting. A bag of Dole from a supermarket is a better option. As all this is happening there is no sign of any senior management. A young guy and girl some what in charge were clueless and seemed frustrated. Of course this left everyone worried about the big event. Not a good first impression.

The Comeback

The wedding was one to remember. Everything was flawless. The event room looked beautiful. The food was delicious. Staff and manager were visible. I went from having the worst dining experience to attending the best wedding in my life. We carried on to the lounge for more drinks. A notable comeback.

Final Impression

Sunday check out was smooth. Overall it was worth the trip. I left satisfied.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
abushtv, Manager at Turf Valley Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 20, 2011
Thank you for your review; I'm thrilled that you enjoyed the wedding. I think our wedding coordinators and banquet staff really knock it out of the park - in fact, I encouraged my best friend to have his wedding reception here, and it was just lovely!

I am sorry about the experience you had at the rehearsal dinner. We are aware of the issues that occurred and I regret that this was your initial impression during your stay.

Please feel free to contact me at visitus@turfvalley.com if I can be of assistance in the future.

Take care,
Stamford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

If you are a meeting planner reading this Turf Valley is the right choice! However please consider providing your attendees with a full meal package, because as most resorts and conference centers this one is also surrounded by nature and not civilization.

I stayed here for the C&D Recycling forum. My point above is that we had two evenings of no dinner. This is not Turf Valley's fault. However dining options are limited at this property. The kitchen closes early and opens late. There is only one outlet and a half (lobby lounge) and the food is mediocre. We did have a cocktail reception and lunch which were great (via catering).

Overall the resort offers great amenities. A shuttle service, spa, golf courses, a basketball hoop, tennis courts, and a suburban neighborhood to walk. I guess dining was not considered or most events include catered meals.

Service was good - front desk, the guy on Sunday night at the lobby lounge (Kevin?) and my housekeeper deserve recognition.

It is worth mentioning. This resort does a great job being "green". From the hotel rooms (promoting to re use towels and sheets, small portions of shampoo products) to public restrooms (no paper towels, dyson hand dryers) and lobby areas (recycle bins) I was impressed and happy to see this effort.

Overall a successful (great networking) and satisfying (good service and accommodations) stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
abushtv, Manager at Turf Valley Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 13, 2011
Thank you for your review - I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and all that Turf Valley has to offer! I appreciate your feedback about our restaurant. It is through reviews like yours that we can continue to improve our guests' experiences. Please don't hesitate to contact me at visitus@turfvalley.com if you have any questions or concerns, or if I can assist you in any way.

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

I took advantage of the hotels.com offer and enjoyed a mini vacation to discover Ellicott City. I did write a brief review of my stay on the hotels.com website, however thought of sharing my feedback on Trip Advisor as well.

Except for my room service order experience this was a fantastic deal. To be brief - order taker in the restaurant was rude and my sandwich did not taste good. The delivery took longer than 45 minutes. The server was nice, however my dirty tray never got picked up.

So since I explored the historic city here is a list of recommendations:

Lunch: Tersiguel's (French Country. Top Notch Service). Dinner: Portali's (Fine Dining. Delicious Italian). Late Night Drinks: Ellicott Mills Brewing Company

Overall my stay was great. Everyone was very friendly. The room was lovely and modern. The setting is simply beautiful and so peaceful - especially for a girl from Vegas.

I will come back in the season and enjoy the outdoor pool.

K

Room Tip: Definitely get a room with a view of their golf courses. Its simply beautiful.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
abushtv, Manager at Turf Valley Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 5, 2011
Thank you so much for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed Turf Valley and the surrounding area of Ellicott City! I'm sorry to hear of your poor experience with your room service order and I have passed your comments on to the appropriate staff. If you have any questions or concerns, or if there is anything else I can do for you, please feel free to contact me at visitus@turfvalley.com.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

I expected more out of this "resort" and was disappointed with the service, skills of the staff and most importantly the cleanliness. This was a pre-wedding, friends getaway weekend. Although we were allowed to check in early, the staff was less then enthusiastic. When we got to our suite, which was a room for 5-6 people, it was lacking in glassware, bath accessories and towels. We had to stop the cleaning services in the hallway and ask for glasses, shampoos, soap, lotions, etc. We also had to call the front desk to have more towels brought up to us. During our stay, someone in our group lost a piece of jewelry in the hotel. The staff was less than helpful and clearly not experienced or trained enough to assist in helping a guest to find a missing item. The front desk staff brushed it off and didn't seem to realize how important it was to us, to find it. Apparently, another guest in the hotel did find the jewelry and asked the front desk if anyone lost it. The front desk staff did not take the steps of asking the item to be left at the front desk, getting information from the guest, like room number, phone number, where it was found, etc. so that we could call to get it returned. According to the front desk, the guest said they would "bring it down" but they never did. When we asked what the person looked like so we could be on the lookout and ask around, we were told "it was an older woman". After waiting for over 1 1/2 hrs in the lobby in hopes this "older woman" would come down with the jewelry, we approached the front desk again and finally the girl said "that was over 2 hrs ago-sorry". The girl at the front desk admitted to not remembering what the woman looked like and was of zero help. I called 2 times after leaving, to find out if anyone returned the jewelry and no one did. Upon leaving, we searched the room and I lifted the chair cushions-FILTH. There were food crumbles, q-tips and glittler-hate to see what was in the couch and other chairs! We didn't want to touch anything else. Not to mention the article of clothing we found in a corner of the bedroom that must have been there for 6 months, as it had dust all over it. Needless to say we felt dirty leaving this resort. A letter is on it's way to the owner and general manager.

The saving grace, if you will...was the spa! They were professional, on time, friendly and created a pleasant environment. A great deal 1/2 day spa: 2 services and lunch! Food was even good!

I would recommend the spa and go back, but definitely not the hotel! There are plenty of other resorts in the area to go to!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay. I'm very disappointed to hear of the issues you experienced during your stay and I have shared your comments with the appropriate staff. I am so glad that you enjoyed our Spa and hope that you will visit again. Please feel free to contact me at visitus@turfvalley.com if you have any questions or concerns, or if there is anything else I can do for you.

Turf Valley

Been to Turf Valley Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!