“Afternoon tea with Granddaughter” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 138 restaurants in Ellicott City
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Baltimore
“Afternoon tea with Granddaughter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

The room was well appointed as a Victorian Tearoom. The waitress looked good in her black uniform and white apron. Service was good. The scones were large and tasty. We had to ask for additional clotted cream and strawberry jam. We asked for it and got it right away. The chocolate cake was BIG! The price was in line with other places. We would go back again. Our granddaughter enjoyed herself and had her first cup of "tea", which she enjoyed.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

64% Recommend
Leesburg, Virginia
“Delightful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I celebrated my Bridal Shower here with 25 ladies and I loved it. Two words Charming and Delightful. The warm scones are a must have. Truly enjoyed the experience.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ellicott City, MD
“If the idea of a tea party enchants you...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

... then I guess you should go, but be warned -- you are paying for that experience, not the food.
A dear friend invited me as her guest because she'd loved it so much when she was taken there a few weeks before. Surrounded by Victorian charm, it's well suited to the tiny rooms of this 18th Century stone house. While the food was good, it was not spectacular. We started with a warm cinnamon scone, which was good but which the waitress forgot to serve before she served the rest of the items. Those, on a three-plate serving rack, included: (1) a plate of two portions of fruit and cheese with stems of very good grapes, a 3-inch wedge of watermelon about 1/4 inch thick, half of a 1/4-i9nch thick slice of orange, and two thin slices of cheese (Manchego?) each about 1x1.25 inch. Savories -- for each -- one 2-inch-diameter sandwich of thin white bread, a very thin slice of Roma tomato, and herbed spread that may have been butter; an open-faced sandwich of 3 cucumber slices with another herbed spread; a slice of sandwich about an inch wide made from a roll, a few very thin slices of roast beef, and yet another spread; and a dollop of home-made pimento cheese in a tomato-flavored phyllo cup which may have been purchased. (3) Desserts were a slice of very good tiramisu, a cream puff which was indistinguishable from the ones you can buy frozen, and a very good chocolate shortbread cookie. A condiment server contained about two teaspoons of butter, lemon curd, and current jelly. Each person got a full-sized pot of hot tea. There is better food to be had on Ellicott City's Main Street for the same cost, or less.
Full disclosure -- the day I was there was torridly hot, and the air conditioning was not working. At all. Fans, including some small table fans, were in some rooms, but not where we sat. My friend had reservations for us, but not been called to give her the option of rescheduling, so we found out when we arrived. The person serving the tea, who may have been one of the owners, announced that while they would serve us a glass of ice (which was never refilled), they suggested drinking the tea hot to make our bodies feel cooler in the lack of air conditioning. She was not joking.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
La Paz, Bolivia
“The highlight of my trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

A friend invited me to this very charming tea house in old town Ellicott City. The house was built around 1830. A fascinating, eclectic mix of pictures and objects decorate the various rooms. Service is friendly, gracious, and knowledgeable; our waitress Tommie was wonderful. Delightful atmosphere. (Yes, i know I am using lots of adjectives...)

The vanilla tea was fragrant and had a wonderful, delicate flavor. Cinnamon scones were fresh baked and tender, served with clotted cream and other spreads. Fresh fruits included large, juicy blackberries. The tea sandwiches were delicate and prepared with great care. The tomato sandwich was particularly tasty. And the desserts...have mercy!! Shortbread, a mini-cupcake, and a decadent Oreo cake. We took some of these scrunptious desserts home.

Looking forward to returning to this tea room. In terms of food, this was the highlight of my trip. Warmly and sincerely recommended.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore, Maryland
“Used to Like it Better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This used to be my favorite place for tea. It is a nice setting and Ellicott City is charming. It's good, but for $24 (including tax), I left feeling less excited than I had in the past. I know there are new owners - not sure how long they have been in place. The service is nice but nothign special and the waitress seems to disappear so it's hrad to get soemthign you decide you need (e.g., more honey for your tea). Tea is good - lots of sleections. Scones are fabulous - best part of the meal. The sandwiches and desserts are nothign to write home about. They are very strict with reservations - we had a part of 8 and one person got sick and wasn't able to attend (I believe they actually charged her cerdit card to cover her spot!). It's small, quaint, but if there is a large party (and there often is a shower or some kind of event), the other group's noise can take away from the experience.

• Visited April 2013