“High time for high time!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 138 restaurants in Ellicott City
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Waterloo, Canada
“High time for high time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Date: May 20, 2012
Party: 3
Price: $29.00 (taxes and gratuity included)

I've been trying to have a high tea moment here in Canada for the longest time, but the last time I had tried to book was for Mother's Day and it was sold out everywhere, so I was very excited to hear that there were tea rooms for high tea around the area that I was visiting some friends.

Unfortunately, the moment that we got this idea to have high tea together and experience it all for the first time together was the day before. I called and spoke with the owner and unfortunately at first glance at her appointment book, she said it looked like they were pretty booked. CONFESSION: I did something totally shameful, I know, but I totally pulled the traveller card. I explained to her that I was from Canada and that I would REALLY like to have a high tea experience with my American friends and she WAS sympathetic and asked me to call back the following morning at 10:30 am to see if there was any cancellations or depending on the weather, if they were going to be opening up their deck.

Called back the next day and the lovely lady was able to tell me that they would be able to accomodate us on the deck at 12:30 pm. We were SO excited and very grateful that she would try to accomodate us like that at the last minute (I'm a big believer in the whole "fail to prepare, prepare to fail" so I knew it would have been on me if we weren't able to get in and I felt really awful that I pulled such a stunt, but I really don't get to visit these friends often at all, so I thought I would try and if the answer was still no, I would have gracefully accepted that).

We arrived in Ellicott City and discovered that it's a very nice place to wander around. I don't know what to call it really, but the whole street is like...a touristy area? There are parking lots where you can just park your car and wander up and down the entire street going in and out of antique shops and other interesting shops! We were sad that we hadn't arrived sooner to look around.

Upon arrival, we were greeted very warmly by a couple (I'm assuming the owners?) who were looking for the Canadian in the group. They were very lovely and we were promptly seated out in the deck area that "overlooks" the river - it's more like...a small area where you can see a bit of river but it's right next to the street so you can also people watch the folks walking around going antique-ing. We were given a two small round table for 2 that were pushed together and an umbrella to shield us from the hot sun. The tableware is very bright and fanciful, I'd imagine something along the lines of Mad Hatter's tea party? Bright and colorful?

The tea menu is HUGE, but the owner was able to give us some suggestions on what teas are their specials for the day and also what teas they have on ice. It was hard to narrow down but we each got our own pot of tea so we were able to choose knowing that we could share each others' pots of tea. After that, we received our tiered goodies and we excitedly dug in.

I chose the vanilla tea (we were told it tasted along the lines of a cupcake and I was sold immediately) and with my pot of tea I received a lemon scone and some fruit and cheese, a small triangle of apple + cinnamon sandwich, half of a mini croissant with a chicken salad filling and a small circle of tomato sandwich, then a slice of chocolate cake, a butter cookie (a VERY DELICIOUS butter cookie) and a fruit tart square. My plate was pretty full so it was just fine to me.

Overall it was a lovely experience and I had a great time with my friends. For the price, it seemed like a good deal to me as here in Canada, our high teas are more in the range of $35 - $50 (though for the highest cost, I believe it also includes champagne and strawberries), but after reading some of the reviews previous to mine, when you do stop and think about it...it doesn't seem like a lot to have received for the price, though we all left VERY full at the end of the tea party.

It was a good and fun experience and we all had a wonderful time. I will still be looking to have a high tea experience here in Canada though :)

Thank you VERY much for accomodating us on such short notice and for being excellent and gracious hosts :)

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

64% Recommend
Maryland
“Always lovely”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

I have been here several times. The staff is extremely accomodating. The tea is wonderful. The food is nicely presented. I have never felt rushed to leave. You have to plan on being on time and the parking can be challenging so plan your trip accordingly.I think it is a good value for the price. Can't wait to go back.

Visited March 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Super expensive for a tea place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

This place comes with a unique concept and flavor. Food is very fresh even though its tid-bits. The options for tea are unlimited. I am not a regular tea-drinker, inspite of that I had various tea options like green tea, white tea and so on. I liked the concept that they have different rooms for different groups. So feels like having a party at home and you get your own privacy. The food as we were told is baked and prepared every day morning. Could feel that since the breads and desserts melted in the mouth. However, 25$ for the tea and tid-bits is way too pricey. If you are looking for a classy place then this place is ok however personally it’s not what I regularly look for in a restaurant.
Also make sure you check on parking options and directions before you go. I made the mistake of not doing so and tried calling them to check if there was public parking nearby and they would not answer the call even though they were open.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ellicott City, MD
“Once was Enough”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

My 90+ year old father and his wife, both very proper and old fashioned, had come to visit and I wanted to treat them to something different that might be fun for them. My husband also came along. At that time, it was not that easy making reservations and they didn't have many time slots. What we did have to eat was good enough, but there was so little of it. It was, I think, a good experience for my father and wife, but we all agreed that once having had the experience, we never needed to do it again. When we returned home, we made sandwiches because everyone was still hungry! You definitely must consider it a little tea place and NOT a meal place. Also, the prices were high, so I would not consider it a good value.

• Visited September 2010
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Maryland
“Fabulous start to finish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2009

Had a delightful afternoon with delicious food and wonderful company. Service was nonintrusive and not rushed. Looking forward to returning soon and bringing friends and family to celebrate the holidays in a unique atmosphere.