“Diners, drive-ins and dives, oh my!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 139 Restaurants in Ellicott City
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Diners, drive-ins and dives, oh my!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My partner and I used Yelp on the fly to aid us in finding a quick bite to eat in Old Town Ellicott City. This place was within walking distance of the Main St. shops and there was no wait to be seated. It's sort of one of those outdated bar-dives that you don't want to look too closely at, but you know when you walk in what you're about to get...beer, service and good, cheap food. If you walk in and you expect to get something more, this isn't the place for you. We loved it and would drop in again anytime.

• Visited February 2013

“Tasty Pub Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Great location in Historic Ellicott City. Tasty food and very reasonably priced menu. Dinning atmosphere definitely is a pub. The fish and chips are a must try.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Tasty food, slow but cheerful service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Visited on a quiet Sunday afternoon. Classic pub atmosphere with lots of flat screen tvs. Restaurant on the left, open to the bar on the right. Maybe a half ozen other diners in the place.

Good burger, done perfectly to order. HUGE chicken ceasar salad. Great baked brie with ample cranberries and fresh toasted french bread. Special soup was beer, bacon and cheese - wonderful flavor - heavy texture - came with 3 saltines - what no toasted french bread? Classic cream of crab which my grand daughter pronounced "excellent" and she's a cream of crab fanatic. Old Bay fries were crisp and tasty. I'd rate the food well above average for your typical pub.

The problem was in the service. We waited a good 10 minutes before anyone noticed we were seated. Then a server came and apologized and said the other server had our table and disappeared. The second server was another 5 minutes in coming out. We staggered through ordering sodas and lemonade, no effort to take appetizer order and disappeared before we could request. Then 5 sodas came out in two different trips. No trays? The cheese soup appeared next - but no crab soup. We all sat and waited for the crab soups to appear while the cheese soup got cold. The waitress finally reappeared and asked if there was something wrong with it - then hearing that we were waiting for the other soups, took it back to rewarm. Meanwhile, a few other tables had gotten their crab soup - our soups didn't show up for another 5 minutes - again in two deliveries - still no trays? Sandwiches finally arrived after we had been in residence for about 45 minutes. It was strange.

Although Maryland has a smoking ban in restaurants and bars, another patron was chain smoking at the next table. I'm not into confrontation, so we tried to ignore the nasty smoke drifting across our table - and though it was obvious to both servers, nothing was said or done to ask the woman to douse the cigarettes that she was using an empty beer bottle to tend. Yuk.

To their credit, the servers were quite cheerful on a dreary day, but I was wondering if their favorite tv show was running in the kitchen - because they were camped out there most of the time.

As I've said in other reviews, parking in Ellicott City is a nightmare. It is scarce and spread randomly and if you're not into hiking hills, don't bother. New meters have been installed, but they are wrapped up. None-the-less they were enforcing the 2 hour parking that will go with the meters and we witnessed several irate visitors return to their ticketed cars.

Although I wasn't in a hurry, between the slow service and the parking situation, I won't be visiting Ellicott City again anytime soon.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Houston, Texas
“Good Food, Slow Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We came here for a late lunch and ordered that crab dip and the crab soup sampler. First of all, when we walked in, there was no sign that said either to seat ourselves or to wait to be seated. We ended up seating ourselves. Then it took a while for a server to come take our order. When we did get served, the food was very good. The crab dip was very tasty, as was the two crab soups in the sampler. It's an ok place to go if you're close to the railroad museum and want to eat without having to look around. However, if you have the time, I would look elsewhere.

• Visited December 2012
Cumming, Georgia
“Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I didn't have any alcoholic drinks here (so my review is purely based on food). I had a chicken sandwich (Santa Fe). It was rather good. My wife had the cod fish. I normally do not like seafood at all, but I tried the cod and it was delicious. The fries were amazing (had more flavor than most places and weren't too thick).

• Visited October 2012