“They even let me get married there!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Wayside Inn

You added The Wayside Inn to your Saves list
The Wayside Inn
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   4344 Columbia Road, Ellicott City, MD 21042-5910   |
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
“They even let me get married there!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This was a MAGNIFICENT experience! My partner and I went to the Wayside inn on March 20th for a few nights in order to get our marriage license and get married (it's legal in Maryland! Thank you Maryland!)
We have never stayed at a B and B before, but we sure will again! Dave is one of the most wonderful people I have ever met! He made us feel welcome and right at home. The food was INCREDIBLE! The service was great and the charm of the place will win your heart!
This is truly a historic landmark, so the floors creek as they always do in a "true historical building". The décor is early Americana and is Beautifully done!
Before we left, we were already planning our return for our Anniversary! Dave even allowed us to use the premises to get married (this was just such a picture perfect place to do it!) We are a LGBT couple and not everyone is welcoming, but Dave and Susan, his wife, were! I would HIGHLY recommend this to ANY couple looking for a beautiful and peaceful location to vacation. Ellicott City is quite a neat little place and there is the Maryland live casino very nearby (and now they have table games there as well)
They even have a "flavia" coffee machine for the guests to use, and that was awesome! Nothing like a warm cup of cappuccino to end a chilly evening while basking in the bubble tub! AHHH!!! Be sure to order Chocolate covered Strawberry's and Champaign! YUMMY!
I cannot WAIT to go back! Thank you Dave, Thank you!

Room Tip: Each room is it's own one of a kind room. There is one room on the ground floor with it's o...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Gaithersburg, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Our perfect stay at the Wayside Inn April 18 started by my hunt for a new and different French restaurant to take my husband for his birthday. I learned about Tersiguel's in Ellicott City and then thought it would be fun to stay in a B&B nearby to avoid making the 30-mile drive home after a big meal. That search led me to the Wayside and I found their special package deal that includes a night in the Terrace Suite AND an 8-course tasting menu at Tersiguel's all rolled into one easy payment to the inn, including gratuity. Done! We were met by innkeeper David at the door when we arrived and he graciously showed us all the amenities in our lovely private room, most of which we'll need to go back to enjoy because our stay was too brief. The dinner was exquisite (but that's a different review!). Our room was quiet and cozy with a lovely, spacious bathroom. Breakfast in the sunroom was plentiful and delicious. This place is truly a little gem in Howard County where historic and upscale B&Bs are hard to find. We look forward to going back when we can have more time to relax onsite at this lovely inn.

Room Tip: The Terrace Room has a private entrance and a large gas fireplace.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Baltimore MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We only live about twenty miles away but were looking for somewhere close to take advantage of a B&B experience a few weeks before our first baby was due. David and Susan were a pleasure to deal with and they've done an unbelievable job, not just renovating, but adding to and improving this great property. We stayed in The Terrace Room which is part of the newest addition to the historic home (around 1780!). It has it's own private entrance and a huge bathroom complete with rainfall shower and huge spa tub. Retrofitted with central air, wifi, and HD cable, the place has received enough modern amenities to make it as or more comfortable than any hotel but manages to keep it feeling like the historic property it is. Breakfast was fantastic. Awesome fruit salad, delicious ham, apple, and cheese frittata with croissant. This was a much needed mini-vacation. We intended to return when we need our first breather from the new baby. Thank you and well done.

Room Tip: The Terrace Room had it's own entrance and is in a separate part of the house. Seems more privat...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

As we travelled down the coast, we had a charming stay at the Wayside inn. David was a wonderful host. Being the off season we almost had the place to ourselves, so we had our choice of rooms. We choose the top floor and had a comfortable suite, with all the trimmings (HBO, Wireless, super soft sheets.....). David was the consummate host and pointed us to a wonderful Crab Place we had not found during the 10 years we had lived in Ellicott City. (Gunnings for those interested). Then breakfast the next morning was among the best we have ever had in our travels. Fresh Fruit, yogurt, Waffles.... It was wonderful. We will return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Just fresh off another night at the wayside, my husband and my favorite get away Inn. We don't live far from the Inn, but have my mother living with us as well as a adult son so sometimes we spoil ourselves and book a night at the Inn. It is our special time to just chill and talk and soak in the wonderful jacuzzi tub. We especially like the terrace room, a fairly new addition to the Inn. It has its own entrance, we really like this as my husband ran out late and brought back frozen yogurt from a nearby store!!!! The beds are unbelievably comfie, the linens are so special. I have traveled alot and consider the beds and linens my most important factor of a stay. Trust me, you can't go wrong with the beds in any of the rooms. The Inn keeper David and his wife are very attentive whenever we have visited, I think at least 6 times now.. I read a recent review and just can't figure out why the couple staying had a bad experience, hopefully they will go back again and give it another try. As they said, everything else was so nice. We had a great breakfast, starting with freshed brewed coffee. Then came a beautiful dish with fruit and an incredible yummy topping. Then an apple egg frittata, think my spelling off on that. It was to die for. A croissant and jam also, very nice. I was full and very satisfied. Not a typical breakfast that's for sure. If you just need to get away from it all, please take my word that this is the place for that. We like to go during the week, it is so quite and peaceful there. I can't wait to go back. I wish we had discovered this Inn when our kids were small. We would have dropped them off with grannie and ran right to the Wayside!!!!

Room Tip: Loved the Terrace room as well as the Baneker room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Omaha
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My daughter and I like to explore B and B's in the Baltimore/Washington metro area. The Wyaside Inn was a tobacco plantation owner's home. It dates back to the 1700's, it is possible that George Washington slept here.

Our suite was on the third floor up historic wooden stairs. It was tastefully furnished and very comfortable. We had a claw footed tub to add to the fun. The linens were wonderful.

The innkeeper, David, was very kind. He demoed the remarkable Flavia coffee machine, very cool. I had never seen one with so many choices. He is also the chef extraordinaire. We agreed that the food was the best part of the stay.

Historic Ellicott City is nearby, looks like lots of fun places to explore and at which to eat.

I missed a room with a gigantic t.v. with which to watch the Ravens game. There was nothing else missing. It is a nice place to stay in a good, safe neighborhood.

Room Tip: C\check out web site. You will have a good idea of rooms. Careful, not all are with bathrooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
breakfastguy83, Owner at The Wayside Inn, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Thanks so much for your nice review (this is David, the owner, responding by the way). We enjoyed your stay with us and are so glad you enjoyed your room, the coffee machine and most importantly, breakfast (it IS 50% of our description, after all!! :)) Two comments/clarifications on your review if you do not mind: 1. All of our rooms have bathrooms! Perhaps you were referencing the other Suite on your floor which has a hall private bath. You may have missed this if you were exploring. 2. I am a little suprized that you gave an overall 3 or average rating for your stay, when in your breakdown you rated all, with the exception of one, a 4 or above average! Please come back and stay with us again soon!
Fair Lawn
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Wayside for one evening on our way back to New Jersey from a trip to Virginia. The stone inn is impressive when you drive up- you can just imagine carriages and horses traveling this route and checking in after an arduous trip. There is charm aplenty.

The main pairt of the inn dates back to the 1700's- wide plank creaky floors, stone plaster walls, curvy stairs, etc. An addition was added to the back of the inn in 2006 which tastefully aligns with the colonial feel.

When compared to the many other inns and B&B's we've visited, the Wayside does not stand out. For example, I expect to be greeted by someone when I enter for the first time. My wife and I stood so long in the entry foyer that I had to call on my phone to get someone to greet us and check us in. David, the owner, was personable but appeared rushed as he very quickly provided a brief orientation. Our room was charming but cluttered. I also didn't appreciate the fact that the shampoo and lotion vials were half- full- the previous guests had obviously used them and rather than replace them, the vials were simply being re-used. Ecch! In addition, there was a dirty tissue behind the dresser- I noticed it when I was looking for an outlet for my cell phone charger. A hair blower was also missing although the attachment was under the sink. These are maintenance issues that need to be addressed by the owner.

Breakfst was good, plentiful but undistinguished.

We thoroughly enjoyed visitng Ellicott City, however, perusing the many antique shops in the charming town. We also enjoyed our meal at Portelli's in the heart of the village.

It should be noted that the inn is for sale- a realtor's sign is prominiently displayed on the front lawn. I wonder what the sale of the inn will mean to its future as a Bed and Breakfast??

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
breakfastguy83, Owner at The Wayside Inn, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
We enjoyed your visit here and are sorry you were disappointed in some aspects of your stay. The maintenance issues you discuss are definitly not acceptable to me either and we will be reviewing our standards with our cleaning crew. I'm not sure i understand the "cluttered room" issue, because our rooms are designed to be pretty clutter free and without specifics, it is hard to address. That the breakfast was "undistinguished" is surprizing, since we get many positive comments about the food here and again, with no specifics, is hard to address.
The most important comment I would like to make, on my behalf as well as all innkeepers everywhere, is that we can do nothing for you during your visit, if you do not tell us while you are here! I understand that many people are reluctant to complain about something and would rather have the relative anonymity of reviews such as this in which to express their displeasure, but do understand that as an innkeeper, we strive to make your stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible and if that means moving you to a different room, giving you something else or more of something for breakfast, or finding something that is missing (e.g., a hairdryer), we will do that in a heartbeat! We are really only happy, if you are happy, so please tell us while you are here, if you are not. Thank you for your input.

Been to The Wayside Inn? Share your experiences!