“A wonderful retreat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Wayside Inn

Save Saved
You added The Wayside Inn to your Saves list
The Wayside Inn
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   4344 Columbia Road, Ellicott City, MD 21042-5910   |
Boston
“A wonderful retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

As we travelled down the coast, we had a charming stay at the Wayside inn. David was a wonderful host. Being the off season we almost had the place to ourselves, so we had our choice of rooms. We choose the top floor and had a comfortable suite, with all the trimmings (HBO, Wireless, super soft sheets.....). David was the consummate host and pointed us to a wonderful Crab Place we had not found during the 10 years we had lived in Ellicott City. (Gunnings for those interested). Then breakfast the next morning was among the best we have ever had in our travels. Fresh Fruit, yogurt, Waffles.... It was wonderful. We will return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

74 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Just fresh off another night at the wayside, my husband and my favorite get away Inn. We don't live far from the Inn, but have my mother living with us as well as a adult son so sometimes we spoil ourselves and book a night at the Inn. It is our special time to just chill and talk and soak in the wonderful jacuzzi tub. We especially like the terrace room, a fairly new addition to the Inn. It has its own entrance, we really like this as my husband ran out late and brought back frozen yogurt from a nearby store!!!! The beds are unbelievably comfie, the linens are so special. I have traveled alot and consider the beds and linens my most important factor of a stay. Trust me, you can't go wrong with the beds in any of the rooms. The Inn keeper David and his wife are very attentive whenever we have visited, I think at least 6 times now.. I read a recent review and just can't figure out why the couple staying had a bad experience, hopefully they will go back again and give it another try. As they said, everything else was so nice. We had a great breakfast, starting with freshed brewed coffee. Then came a beautiful dish with fruit and an incredible yummy topping. Then an apple egg frittata, think my spelling off on that. It was to die for. A croissant and jam also, very nice. I was full and very satisfied. Not a typical breakfast that's for sure. If you just need to get away from it all, please take my word that this is the place for that. We like to go during the week, it is so quite and peaceful there. I can't wait to go back. I wish we had discovered this Inn when our kids were small. We would have dropped them off with grannie and ran right to the Wayside!!!!

Room Tip: Loved the Terrace room as well as the Baneker room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Omaha
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My daughter and I like to explore B and B's in the Baltimore/Washington metro area. The Wyaside Inn was a tobacco plantation owner's home. It dates back to the 1700's, it is possible that George Washington slept here.

Our suite was on the third floor up historic wooden stairs. It was tastefully furnished and very comfortable. We had a claw footed tub to add to the fun. The linens were wonderful.

The innkeeper, David, was very kind. He demoed the remarkable Flavia coffee machine, very cool. I had never seen one with so many choices. He is also the chef extraordinaire. We agreed that the food was the best part of the stay.

Historic Ellicott City is nearby, looks like lots of fun places to explore and at which to eat.

I missed a room with a gigantic t.v. with which to watch the Ravens game. There was nothing else missing. It is a nice place to stay in a good, safe neighborhood.

Room Tip: C\check out web site. You will have a good idea of rooms. Careful, not all are with bathrooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
breakfastguy83, Owner at The Wayside Inn, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Thanks so much for your nice review (this is David, the owner, responding by the way). We enjoyed your stay with us and are so glad you enjoyed your room, the coffee machine and most importantly, breakfast (it IS 50% of our description, after all!! :)) Two comments/clarifications on your review if you do not mind: 1. All of our rooms have bathrooms! Perhaps you were referencing the other Suite on your floor which has a hall private bath. You may have missed this if you were exploring. 2. I am a little suprized that you gave an overall 3 or average rating for your stay, when in your breakdown you rated all, with the exception of one, a 4 or above average! Please come back and stay with us again soon!
Fair Lawn
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Wayside for one evening on our way back to New Jersey from a trip to Virginia. The stone inn is impressive when you drive up- you can just imagine carriages and horses traveling this route and checking in after an arduous trip. There is charm aplenty.

The main pairt of the inn dates back to the 1700's- wide plank creaky floors, stone plaster walls, curvy stairs, etc. An addition was added to the back of the inn in 2006 which tastefully aligns with the colonial feel.

When compared to the many other inns and B&B's we've visited, the Wayside does not stand out. For example, I expect to be greeted by someone when I enter for the first time. My wife and I stood so long in the entry foyer that I had to call on my phone to get someone to greet us and check us in. David, the owner, was personable but appeared rushed as he very quickly provided a brief orientation. Our room was charming but cluttered. I also didn't appreciate the fact that the shampoo and lotion vials were half- full- the previous guests had obviously used them and rather than replace them, the vials were simply being re-used. Ecch! In addition, there was a dirty tissue behind the dresser- I noticed it when I was looking for an outlet for my cell phone charger. A hair blower was also missing although the attachment was under the sink. These are maintenance issues that need to be addressed by the owner.

Breakfst was good, plentiful but undistinguished.

We thoroughly enjoyed visitng Ellicott City, however, perusing the many antique shops in the charming town. We also enjoyed our meal at Portelli's in the heart of the village.

It should be noted that the inn is for sale- a realtor's sign is prominiently displayed on the front lawn. I wonder what the sale of the inn will mean to its future as a Bed and Breakfast??

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
breakfastguy83, Owner at The Wayside Inn, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
We enjoyed your visit here and are sorry you were disappointed in some aspects of your stay. The maintenance issues you discuss are definitly not acceptable to me either and we will be reviewing our standards with our cleaning crew. I'm not sure i understand the "cluttered room" issue, because our rooms are designed to be pretty clutter free and without specifics, it is hard to address. That the breakfast was "undistinguished" is surprizing, since we get many positive comments about the food here and again, with no specifics, is hard to address.
The most important comment I would like to make, on my behalf as well as all innkeepers everywhere, is that we can do nothing for you during your visit, if you do not tell us while you are here! I understand that many people are reluctant to complain about something and would rather have the relative anonymity of reviews such as this in which to express their displeasure, but do understand that as an innkeeper, we strive to make your stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible and if that means moving you to a different room, giving you something else or more of something for breakfast, or finding something that is missing (e.g., a hairdryer), we will do that in a heartbeat! We are really only happy, if you are happy, so please tell us while you are here, if you are not. Thank you for your input.
Avon Park, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

This has to be the dowager queen of B&Bs in the Baltimore area: built in 1780 with 20"-thick local granite walls, creaky original wood plank floors, and an accompanying oak tree that was alive when the Constitution was signed...this is historical beyond belief! David and Susan are most gracious in guest interactions and the breakfasts were fresh and good. The Inn sits in a park-like setting with a pond and ancient trees adding to its charm. Linens, towels, fluffy terry robes, and a jetted, rainforest shower added great creature comforts to make our stay memorable for our 51st anniversary weekend. Reading up on local history added greatly to our understanding of how this all came to be. One caveat: this lovely home and grounds are on the market, so what happens in the future is possibly of concern. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: There are no ground floor rooms or handicap access.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
breakfastguy83, Owner at The Wayside Inn, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Just a quick note from David here to say a heartfelt THANK YOU for your nice review. You two were an absolute delight to host and I know that other guests staying here enjoyed you too! We so appreciate that you chose the Wayside Inn to spend your 51st anniversary celebration. 51 years! Wow! It was fun introducing you to our two newlywed couples that were spending their 1st nights together as husband and wife. You are an inspiration!! I hope my wife and I are able to make it to our 51st (18 years to go!) and are as lively, spirited and fun as you two. Please come back for your 52nd, 53rd, 54th..................
Brick
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

This was our 1st time staying at a B&B and it won't be our last. Unfortunately we only had the pleasure of staying at The Wayside Inn for one night but it was more than enough time for us to fall in love. The staff was friendly, rooms were spotless and comfy with some amazingly soft sheets. A coffee machine I wish I could have taken home with me and a delicious breakfast. We would recommend the Wayside Inn to anyone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Balltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I had a rather strange request of a bed and breakfast and I wasn't sure how it'd go over with the InnKeepers. I was doing a photo shoot and I needed a place with a great back drop and beautiful decor to complete my project. I wasn't sure if they'd think it would be disruptive to the other guests or not. But I thought I'd try it none-the-less. Surprisingly, they told me it was a great idea and were eager for me to give it a whirl.

The great room was very intimate and very personable. I love the furniture, the wall hangings and personal touches. I also loved the dining room and all of its splendor. Everything was great. The InnKeepers were very accommodating and delightful.

I enjoyed my stay and the pictures came out fantastic! I would highly recommend this lovely, quaint bed and breakfast for travelers who love peace and quiet as well as beautiful landscape.
It's one of those places that is not so big that you're just guest #329B or something...It's just right! In fact, it was so wonderful to me on my visit, that I rented it again for my daughter and her husband for their anniversary. They truly loved the spa treatment they received.

Enjoy! I love The Wayside Inn because (as the children would say) it's way way on your side. You'll be so relaxed and so refreshed you won't want to leave to go anywhere. There are nice places around that offer a great deal of entertainment, but you'll just sink into those soft over stuffed pillows on the comfy bed or soak endlessly in the beautiful jetted tub. Get ready to do absolutely nothing. Visit soon.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are nice. Some are smaller. So the prices are varied. If you like to sit up and r...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Wayside Inn? Share your experiences!