“Colonial Charm But Not Much Else” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Wayside Inn

Save Saved
You added The Wayside Inn to your Saves list
The Wayside Inn
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   4344 Columbia Road, Ellicott City, MD 21042-5910   |
Fair Lawn
“Colonial Charm But Not Much Else”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Wayside for one evening on our way back to New Jersey from a trip to Virginia. The stone inn is impressive when you drive up- you can just imagine carriages and horses traveling this route and checking in after an arduous trip. There is charm aplenty.

The main pairt of the inn dates back to the 1700's- wide plank creaky floors, stone plaster walls, curvy stairs, etc. An addition was added to the back of the inn in 2006 which tastefully aligns with the colonial feel.

When compared to the many other inns and B&B's we've visited, the Wayside does not stand out. For example, I expect to be greeted by someone when I enter for the first time. My wife and I stood so long in the entry foyer that I had to call on my phone to get someone to greet us and check us in. David, the owner, was personable but appeared rushed as he very quickly provided a brief orientation. Our room was charming but cluttered. I also didn't appreciate the fact that the shampoo and lotion vials were half- full- the previous guests had obviously used them and rather than replace them, the vials were simply being re-used. Ecch! In addition, there was a dirty tissue behind the dresser- I noticed it when I was looking for an outlet for my cell phone charger. A hair blower was also missing although the attachment was under the sink. These are maintenance issues that need to be addressed by the owner.

Breakfst was good, plentiful but undistinguished.

We thoroughly enjoyed visitng Ellicott City, however, perusing the many antique shops in the charming town. We also enjoyed our meal at Portelli's in the heart of the village.

It should be noted that the inn is for sale- a realtor's sign is prominiently displayed on the front lawn. I wonder what the sale of the inn will mean to its future as a Bed and Breakfast??

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
breakfastguy83, Owner at The Wayside Inn, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
We enjoyed your visit here and are sorry you were disappointed in some aspects of your stay. The maintenance issues you discuss are definitly not acceptable to me either and we will be reviewing our standards with our cleaning crew. I'm not sure i understand the "cluttered room" issue, because our rooms are designed to be pretty clutter free and without specifics, it is hard to address. That the breakfast was "undistinguished" is surprizing, since we get many positive comments about the food here and again, with no specifics, is hard to address.
The most important comment I would like to make, on my behalf as well as all innkeepers everywhere, is that we can do nothing for you during your visit, if you do not tell us while you are here! I understand that many people are reluctant to complain about something and would rather have the relative anonymity of reviews such as this in which to express their displeasure, but do understand that as an innkeeper, we strive to make your stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible and if that means moving you to a different room, giving you something else or more of something for breakfast, or finding something that is missing (e.g., a hairdryer), we will do that in a heartbeat! We are really only happy, if you are happy, so please tell us while you are here, if you are not. Thank you for your input.

74 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Avon Park, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

This has to be the dowager queen of B&Bs in the Baltimore area: built in 1780 with 20"-thick local granite walls, creaky original wood plank floors, and an accompanying oak tree that was alive when the Constitution was signed...this is historical beyond belief! David and Susan are most gracious in guest interactions and the breakfasts were fresh and good. The Inn sits in a park-like setting with a pond and ancient trees adding to its charm. Linens, towels, fluffy terry robes, and a jetted, rainforest shower added great creature comforts to make our stay memorable for our 51st anniversary weekend. Reading up on local history added greatly to our understanding of how this all came to be. One caveat: this lovely home and grounds are on the market, so what happens in the future is possibly of concern. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: There are no ground floor rooms or handicap access.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
breakfastguy83, Owner at The Wayside Inn, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Just a quick note from David here to say a heartfelt THANK YOU for your nice review. You two were an absolute delight to host and I know that other guests staying here enjoyed you too! We so appreciate that you chose the Wayside Inn to spend your 51st anniversary celebration. 51 years! Wow! It was fun introducing you to our two newlywed couples that were spending their 1st nights together as husband and wife. You are an inspiration!! I hope my wife and I are able to make it to our 51st (18 years to go!) and are as lively, spirited and fun as you two. Please come back for your 52nd, 53rd, 54th..................
Brick
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

This was our 1st time staying at a B&B and it won't be our last. Unfortunately we only had the pleasure of staying at The Wayside Inn for one night but it was more than enough time for us to fall in love. The staff was friendly, rooms were spotless and comfy with some amazingly soft sheets. A coffee machine I wish I could have taken home with me and a delicious breakfast. We would recommend the Wayside Inn to anyone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Balltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I had a rather strange request of a bed and breakfast and I wasn't sure how it'd go over with the InnKeepers. I was doing a photo shoot and I needed a place with a great back drop and beautiful decor to complete my project. I wasn't sure if they'd think it would be disruptive to the other guests or not. But I thought I'd try it none-the-less. Surprisingly, they told me it was a great idea and were eager for me to give it a whirl.

The great room was very intimate and very personable. I love the furniture, the wall hangings and personal touches. I also loved the dining room and all of its splendor. Everything was great. The InnKeepers were very accommodating and delightful.

I enjoyed my stay and the pictures came out fantastic! I would highly recommend this lovely, quaint bed and breakfast for travelers who love peace and quiet as well as beautiful landscape.
It's one of those places that is not so big that you're just guest #329B or something...It's just right! In fact, it was so wonderful to me on my visit, that I rented it again for my daughter and her husband for their anniversary. They truly loved the spa treatment they received.

Enjoy! I love The Wayside Inn because (as the children would say) it's way way on your side. You'll be so relaxed and so refreshed you won't want to leave to go anywhere. There are nice places around that offer a great deal of entertainment, but you'll just sink into those soft over stuffed pillows on the comfy bed or soak endlessly in the beautiful jetted tub. Get ready to do absolutely nothing. Visit soon.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are nice. Some are smaller. So the prices are varied. If you like to sit up and r...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Wayside Inn for my Best friends wedding and everything was fabulous! The innkeepers Dave and Susan are very accomodating and are wonderful people! Breakfast was amazing and the rooms were a delight! I strongly recommend that anyone stays here!

• Stayed May 2012
Cockeysville, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

After much searching for a wedding venue that suited our needs, my fiance and I accidentally stumbled on the Wayside Inn-- and it was the best thing that happened to us! The owners, Susan and Dave, are extremely accommodating, the venue is charming and elegant, and the breakfast is outstanding! The inn is historic and also full of natural beauty and interesting features, as well as modern luxury (especially in the bathrooms). My husband and I invited 30 people to our beautiful, intimate wedding at the inn, and it was everything we wanted. If you're looking for a venue that truly feels like "home," that offers both charm and comfort, the Wayside is it. Pretty sure I heard the word "perfect" tossed around a few times after the ceremony :).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

I've stayed at many B&B's and The Wayside Inn is top notch. Beautiful historic inn -rooms are pretty, comfortable, and clean, with every amenity you could possibly need. Breakfast is AMAZING! SO AMAZING! The innkeepers are friendly, kind and accommodating. Will definitely be back again!

Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Wayside Inn? Share your experiences!