“Beautiful historic inn!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Wayside Inn

You added The Wayside Inn to your Saves list
The Wayside Inn
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   4344 Columbia Road, Ellicott City, MD 21042-5910   |
“Beautiful historic inn!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012 via mobile

The beds were amazing!!! The floors creak a lot but it's very charming and comfortable. The inn sitter was a member of the innkeepers and she was wonderful! Breakfast was gourmet and delicious!

• Stayed February 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Kensington,MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

My husband and I live in a near by town but just wanted to get away for the week end and chose The Wayside. I was a bit disappointed that the house was so close to the main highway but once inside I did not see or hear the traffic. The bed was very comfortable, the jacuzzi was delightful and my husband enjoyed the rain forest like shower. The breakfast was good but did lack the extras we have had at many b&b's. All in all we had a very nice stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

Before I begin, I would like to make a disclaimer. The first B&B my wife and I stayed at was unforgettable, partly because it was during our honeymoon, and partly due to the unparalleled hospitality of the owners. Bill and Charlotte of the Flagstaff Inn in Annapolis, MD treated us like their dearest friends while we were there. Perhaps we were spoiled, but after our stay at the Flagstaff Inn, we have very high expectations for B&Bs, not just in the accommodations, but in the hospitality of the owners.

The Wayside Inn was the second B&B where we have stayed. We had seen it advertised on groupon,. It is a restored 200+ year old home, located in a woodsy, suburban area of Ellicott City. After we parked, we went to the front door, and finding it unlocked we went inside. We waited in the spacious foyer for a few minutes, but no one was there to greet us and we did not see anyone. Finally, we saw another guest, who called out for Susan, one of the owners. When she appeared, she immediately asked for our groupon and for us to pay the room tax. We were a little surprised by this, but we suppose she just wanted to get business out of the way. She did not offer us a tour of the downstairs area, though she said we were free to use the rooms (including the kitchen).

We followed her up the stairs to our room on the second floor (the Ellicott room). The floor boards on the stairs and in the bedroom creaked loudly when walked on, which was an annoyance throughout the stay. The owner gave us some brief instructions about the room and recommended some local restaurants, then left us to settle in. The bathroom was the best part: you entered through double French doors; there was a spacious Jacuzzi, a large shower with a rainwater shower head, and a lovely view of the pond and trees behind the B&B. It was almost the same size as the bedroom, and because the floor was tiled, it did not creak. It was also warmer in there than in the bedroom. The house has central heating, but no individual thermostats, which was also an annoyance. In the bathroom, the vents were on the floor, but in the bedroom they were on the ceiling, which meant most of the heat did not reach us. Because it was colder in the bedroom, we started a fire in the fireplace, which did raise the temperature somewhat.

We were tired after our trip and did not want to go out for dinner, so we decided to have some food delivered. There were several restaurant directories which said they delivered, but after calling a few, we realized the directories were outdated, as they no longer delivered. When we finally did find somewhere, it took them over an hour and a half to deliver the food (I’m not blaming this on the Wayside Inn, but if you want something delivered, bear in mind you might have to wait awhile).

After dinner we filled up the Jacuzzi and spent the next several hours lounging in there and watching TV. The Jacuzzi was the best part of our stay. The water was the perfect temperature and the lavender bubble soap paired well with it. The jets had four different settings, creating a soothing message. It was a very pleasant evening.

In the morning, we went down to breakfast. At this B&B, each couple was seated at an individual table, rather than a communal table as at other B&Bs (n.b.I am ambivalent towards either arrangement). For breakfast there was a selection of teas and juices, a fruit salad with yogurt, a cheese/egg casserole, a grilled ham slice, and a croissant with jam and butter. We were served by a young woman whom we think was the owners daughter, but she did not introduce herself. The breakfast was delicious, but not spectacular.

All in all, our experience at the Wayside Inn was a mixed bag. B&Bs come in many varieties, and I would say this one is leaning more to being a hotel than a home. With the exception of the creaking floors, we thought the accommodations were top-notch. The hospitality, though, was lacking. I am not saying Susan was rude or inhospitable, but she didn’t exude friendliness and mostly seemed indifferent. Maybe she was just being professional, but it would have been nice if she had been more personable. Other people, though, might appreciate this. For us hospitality is important, and it makes a big difference when the owners treat you like honored guests rather than paying customers. I don’t know if we will stay here again, but as I said at the beginning, we have very high expectations.

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
breakfastguy83, Owner at The Wayside Inn, responded to this review, February 28, 2012
Hi, this is David the Innkeeper here, and I would like to thank you for all the really nice things you said in your very comprehensive review. Given that the overall tone of most of your comments was so complimentary, I was surprised at receiving my very first "poor" rated review in our 13 year tenure. I also want to apologize if my wife Susan seemed a little distracted when you checked in. I was sick in bed with a fever and she was being pulled in several directions at the same time. This is not an excuse, believe me, for not being 100% hospitable, and we will be having a discussion about the importance of first impressions and maintaining a hospitable manor even when it is difficult to do so. Of course, it might be the last discussion we ever have.

We really pride ourselves in our freindly hospitality here, which is reflected in practically every review we have ever received, and I do apologize for your feeling the lack of that expected hospitality. I do hope that you will return sometime in the future when we will do our utmost to fulfill your "high expectations"!

Cheers,

David Balderson, Owner/Innkeeper
Wayside Inn Bed and breakfast
Gaithersburg, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary at The Wayside Inn recently. The innkeeper Dave was a joy to converse with. The Inn is immaculate and the breakfasts were superb. We had a room with a private entrance, the most luxurious sheets I have ever slept in and a fabulous two person whirlpool tub with a separate shower with all of the bells and whistles. The Inn was built in the 1700's and has been painstakingly brought back to life to make you feel the time period with all of the modern conveniences we so love in 2011. Dave was always available to answer any questions about Ellicott City and places to visit in the area. He suggested two restaurants that we did dine at and both were very enjoyable. We put our feet up and snuggled back into chairs in a hidden room to read one afternoon. So comfortable. We sat out on the back at a little table with our wine glasses admiring the pond when a heron flew right in front of us. Awesome visit. Would highly recommend The Wayside Inn to anyone looking for a romantic, relaxing, wonderful adventure.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Gaithersburg, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

My wife and I stayed here on a Groupon for our 8th anniversary and frankly I would have gladly paid full price for what we got. The Ellicott room was just right for the two of us...not too big, not too small and a perfect blend of modern and historic. The innkeepers were extremely helpful and knowledgeable, breakfast was outstanding. Highly recommended!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

My husband and I just spent a lovely night at this Inn to celebrate our 33rd Wedding anniversary. This was our 4th stay. Just a lovely time relaxing in our room, gas fireplace, jacuzzi tub, comfy bed! Breakfast on the sun porch, table for two. Delicious food and gorgeous surroundings to view as we enjoyed the meal. Can't say enough about this place and the owners David and Susan. They really know what they are doing! Already looking forward to another visit. If you are in need of a quick getaway to unwind from it all, try the Inn. It will not dissapoint.

Room Tip: We stayed in the terrace room this time. Like the ability to exit and enter to the outside. Have s...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Chesterbrook, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

A historic Inn in a quiet location, the property wonderfully restored and our two night stay there was a treat. We stayed in the Pierpoint Suite, a large room with a separate sitting room. It was equipped with a high, four poster bed which I would have liked to take home with me. Instead, we ordered a set of the sheets which added immensely to the comfort of the bed. There is a large flat screen TV over the fireplace and a CD/Bose radio in the sitting room, which also has a fireplace. The bathroom is equipped with a rain shower overhead shower head and three spray jets out of the wall. Outside the suite, there is a Flavia singe serving coffee/tea brewer with a large selection of coffees and teas. The breakfasts offered were incredible, not so much in quantity, as you might find in a British B&B, but in quality and diversity. The weather was not very cooperative during our stay, but the grounds were very picturesque and tranquil with a pond and a lot of ancient trees, one of which purportedly dates back to 1787. The service was just what it needed to be, friendly and non-obtrusive.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Wayside Inn? Share your experiences!