“Wonderful Anniversary” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Wayside Inn

Save Saved
You added The Wayside Inn to your Saves list
The Wayside Inn
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   4344 Columbia Road, Ellicott City, MD 21042-5910   |
Baltimore, Maryland
“Wonderful Anniversary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

My husband and I just spent a lovely night at this Inn to celebrate our 33rd Wedding anniversary. This was our 4th stay. Just a lovely time relaxing in our room, gas fireplace, jacuzzi tub, comfy bed! Breakfast on the sun porch, table for two. Delicious food and gorgeous surroundings to view as we enjoyed the meal. Can't say enough about this place and the owners David and Susan. They really know what they are doing! Already looking forward to another visit. If you are in need of a quick getaway to unwind from it all, try the Inn. It will not dissapoint.

Room Tip: We stayed in the terrace room this time. Like the ability to exit and enter to the outside. Have s...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

74 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Chesterbrook, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

A historic Inn in a quiet location, the property wonderfully restored and our two night stay there was a treat. We stayed in the Pierpoint Suite, a large room with a separate sitting room. It was equipped with a high, four poster bed which I would have liked to take home with me. Instead, we ordered a set of the sheets which added immensely to the comfort of the bed. There is a large flat screen TV over the fireplace and a CD/Bose radio in the sitting room, which also has a fireplace. The bathroom is equipped with a rain shower overhead shower head and three spray jets out of the wall. Outside the suite, there is a Flavia singe serving coffee/tea brewer with a large selection of coffees and teas. The breakfasts offered were incredible, not so much in quantity, as you might find in a British B&B, but in quality and diversity. The weather was not very cooperative during our stay, but the grounds were very picturesque and tranquil with a pond and a lot of ancient trees, one of which purportedly dates back to 1787. The service was just what it needed to be, friendly and non-obtrusive.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Piscataway, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

I cannot, cannot believe there are no reviews of this amazing inn yet. Brace yourself for a long review because I want to cover everything so people know exactly what to expect (which is all good things).

The Wayside Inn is a gorgeous place to be - I almost hesitate to call it merely a "bed & breakfast" because it's so much more than that. The meticulous details with every aspect of the inn is almost like a dream - everything is perfect, right down to the sign post that marks the driveway along the road.

My boyfriend & I arrived between 4 PM and 5 PM on a Friday - actually on the eve of the east coast's "storm of the century" (I say this sarcastically) hurricane Irene. The outside is like a story book home - it looks nothing like the modern houses down the road. It's a 17th century brick home with an adorable outside awning. They seem to have two add-ons which do not stand out too much, one of which is their adorable "sun room." Inside, we met David, one of the two innkeepers. He is a very vibrant, considerate host, and were grateful for how down to earth he was.

We stayed in the Banneker Room - and we are so glad we chose this room out of the many choices. It definitely was the best selection, being just the right size for two people who want to get away. My boyfriend surprised me by requesting sunflowers in the room - a request David was able to fulfill. Thank you so much!

The bed was humongous - and very high, too! They provide a step-stool to get up top (if you are short, like me). Once on top, it's a sea of pillows. The bed spread matched the color scheme of the room - blue, golden yellow and green. There was a giant, extremely cozy comforter at the edge of the bed. Underneath, the sheets were very, very soft and light. The bed was great for lounging on while watching the TV - which was a flatscreen that included FIOS cable, so of course we had more channels than one could possibly imagine. There is no DVD/VCR player in the Banneker room but we noticed outside the room there was a selection of things to watch - so some rooms probably provide players. Of course, my boyfriend brought the right wires to connect his computer to the TV, so we had no issue watching a movie as the hurricane's storms passed by.

The bathroom is a luxury unto itself. I've seen other hotel rooms merely the size of the bathroom. There is both a stand up shower (with a build in bench) and rainforest shower head, and - best of all, a jacuzzi/jet tub. We brought our own bubble bath bomb, but there was bubble bath soap provided in the room. This bath is worth the trip alone, really an amazing way to spend time on a rainy day.

Outside our room, on the second floor, is this amazing custom-coffee machine. These are those new machines I've been seeing often, where you place the pouch of your choice in the machine. They kept some of their custom made mugs nearby for a quick coffee. There was so much variety, from espresso, to cappuccino, to hot chocolate, and flavored coffees - all fresh, not instant. I loved this machine so much because I could grab a coffee at any time - it was right outside our room!

I know I keep talking about the bed - what about the breakfast? I am not exaggerating when I say this is the best home-made breakfast I have had, ever. Breakfast was served on their gorgeous wooden table in their dining room - coffee served in their own custom made mugs, and delicious, fresh juice. There was a first course both mornings with a fresh fruit salad (all of the good fruits, too - strawberries, blueberries, peaches, grapes) - one day with yogurt and granola, the next morning the fruit was cooked in some vanilla sauce and topped with whipped cream and nutmeg. Saturday morning was this amazing orange-cranberry strata made with croissants. Incredible! The following morning it was cinnamon Irish cream challah french toast. Because we were the only patrons (the storm had scared people away) that morning we got second helpings and we couldn't help ourselves.

After breakfast one morning we hung out in their quaint library, which was very, very relaxing. The room had various books and board games. My boyfriend used the free wifi while I read. In the background, you could hear a radio playing classical music. It was very peaceful to sit in this room, drinking coffee, while it rained.

Checkout, also was no hassle. We took our time with no rush and left around noon. I also bought a mug and some jam they had. David was so helpful because he took my card to pay for these items, and wrapped them. He also wrapped my sunflowers in a wet paper towel & foil. We weren't sure if we'd return that night due to the storm but my boyfriend and I severely regret not turning back. I cannot, cannot recommend this inn enough - just to lounge around alone was a pleasure. The town itself was beautiful but I'd go so far as to say the time we spent here outshone everything!

Room Tip: The Banneker Room was the best out of all of them - Best bathroom, best decor, beautiful bed
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

Wayside Inn was a lovely find for a quick get-a-way to Ellicot City. While not in the heart of the historic downtown area (there's no place to stay there as far as we knew), the Wayside Inn was just a few minutes drive away on a quiet street with plenty of off-street parking and a beautiful little pond and green grass to sit outside and enjoy a few minutes of nature. The staff were more than accomodating with my tricky dietary needs, asking questions to be sure they were serving me something I could eat but that was "special". And my husband and I agreed that the food was delicious. A great find and a place we would frequent again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

We came to The Wayside (Bed and Breakfast) for our anniversary and needed to relax and have no pressure. The room and jacuzzi were just what we needed. Champagne and chocolate covered strawberries on the back deck. The owner gave great recommendations for where to eat that night. The next morning we came down for a late breakfast and he let us take our time, there was no rush to check out. In fact, he left for an appointment and asked us to lock up when we left.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

My husband & I celebrated our 6th Wedding Anniversary at the 'Gorgeous' Wayside Inn in Ellicott City, MD. The Wayside Inn is a Historic, Luxurious 18th Century Home and the first Bed & Breakfast we've ever experienced! Let me tell ya, we were NOT disappointed! We selected this Bed & Breakfast based on their website and the reviews of other guests. The Inn is beautiful, warm, cozy & the accomodations were wonderful! We received superior customer service! These days, as we all know...that is rarer than a bald eagle! We were spoiled by the Innkeeper, David from the moment we met him.

Next there was the breakfasts!!! If ANYONE raves about someones cooking, you got my attention! LOL! So that was a contributing factor in us selecting this Maryland Bed & Breakfast! I totally agree with the other people who said David was an EXCELLENT Chef and Susan was a marvelous hostess! David started us off with a "Sunshine Cocktail," which included yogurt, fresh strawberries, blueberries, grapes, pineapples & granola!

Our next course, David served us Country sausage with French Toast marinated in Buttermilk(?)...MAN! Was it GOOD! It left me craving for more!

They even had a Flavia coffee & tea maker with its on-demand selection of many coffees and teas on the second floor for guests to use anytime.

We later ventured into Historic Ellicott City to "walk-off" that Fabulous breakfast...lol...No, but to take in the sites and puruse some antique shops.

Sunday's breakfast was a tasteful Egg Souffle' with grilled ham and a warm croissant...Yum Yum!!!

Innkeeper/Owners Dave & Susan Balderson have owned the Inn since 1998. All aspects of our stay was absolute perfection from beginning to end. (If you stay in the Terrace Room in the summer time be prepared to use the Fireplace as it gets a little chilly down there.)

Although the rate we paid was $209 a night, it is on the high end, but in our opinion you get what you pay for and we thought it was well worth our hard earned money. So if you wish to experience a wonderful stay that will SPOIL you with hospitality and delicious food make a reservation for the Wayside Inn soon!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Big Sky, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

Warm and friendly hosts, beautiful and interesting B & B, quiet and secluded yet easily accessible. It was the perfect place to stay when visiting in the Baltimore area.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Wayside Inn? Share your experiences!