“Perfect for small kids” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Type: Ranch & Farm
More attraction details
Owner description: In addition to the many animals in our petting farm, we are home to many of the attractions from the Enchanted Forest. We have pony rides, hay wagon rides, a cow train ride, the petting farm, the Enchanted Forest attractions, additional play areas, and a picnic area. We also have a pumpkin patch in the Fall.
maryland
26 attraction reviews
“Perfect for small kids”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

We've been going to Clark's farm since it opened. After reading the review from 7/22 had to respond.

The petting farm is well worth a visit for families with young children. The price is quite reasonable when you compare it to other attractions.

The staff has always been friendly and helpful. Often, you will see Martha Clark, the owner helping out. She has overseen the relocation of various pieces from the abandoned Enchanted Forest park which was located nearby in Ellicott City. By placing them throughout the grounds, people who once visited the Enchanted Forest can revisit their childhood.

We had my sons birthday there a few years ago, and all of the kids had a great time. The staff helped setup, cleanup, took the kids on a tour and a tractor ride. It was a very inexpensive party, compared to other kids venues. And they had a blast.

As mentioned, the signage and restrooms could be better. But it's a family operation and it's $5!!!!

I wouldnt recommend going in the summer, it's better enjoyed in spring and fall.

Visited July 2013
Clark's F, Owner at Clark's Elioaks Farm, responded to this review, November 20, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your visits to our farm. I'm pleased that you feel that it is a reasonable value and well worth visiting. We try to keep the cost to visit low and the value of a visit high, but it is hard to fit into everyone's budget. I'm glad, too, that your experience with our staff has been a positive one. I'm glad our birthday crew took good care of your group when you had a birthday party with us. We are open from April through early November and most days are wonderful to be outside, but we do realize that some really hot summer days and cold rainy days are not the best days to visit us. We hope you will continue to visit us in 2015, weather-permitting.

“So cute and fun!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

I am a nanny and my babies that I carr for love this place and can play for hours here. The admission is cheap. We love going in the fall to pick pumpkins and go through the corn. If you have little one you should go to this place

Visited July 2013
It's great to hear from you about your experiences at our farm with the children you care for. We think the farm is a great place to come and entertain your children for a morning or afternoon visit.
Thanks for taking the time to let everyone know that our farm is a great place to bring young children. We hope you continue to visit us as the children grow up.
Lakewood, New Jersey
“Nice outdoor activities for younger children”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I just came back from the farm and went on a hot day. We were VERY hot but still my kids enjoyed . I took children from ages 2-12. I would say its more geared up to age 10. Its not a professional updated place, but relaxing.
It had little stations with something for the kids to do with the theme being the nursery rhymes. Ex a big old shoe with a slide for there once was a lady that lived in a shoe.... a boat to climb into , a pine maze with different set ups.
The hay ride well if you call it a hay ride was a ride in an open hay ride type of truck with benches. The pony rides were short in a small fence and there were a nice number of animals to feed.
I would say its a bit overpriced at $5 entrance plus $2 each hay ride and $2 each pony ride but we did enjoy. We stayed around 2 1/2 hours. Bought some drinks and ices in the house.
If you are in the area with younger children I think they would definitely enjoy.

Visited July 2013
I really appreciate your thoughtful review of our farm. We do hope that people of all ages can enjoy the animals and the Enchanted Forest attractions, but you are right that it is mostly geared for a younger crowd. We are just a farm family that loves to share the farm we love with others, so the place does not have a polished feel, but I like that you thought it felt relaxing. That is what we hope people feel when they are visiting us. Thank you for taking the time to send your insights. It is very helpful to hear what people like and don't like about the farm.
Silver Spring, Maryland
78 attraction reviews
“Soooo Not Impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

For the $5 Admission fee - it was 'ok' for about 2 hours, but I wouldn't go back.

The 'parking lot' was a big, unpaved lot. No fee.

The admission building which also houses the 'gift shop' was cluttered, and had three large metal shelves behind the 'reception' desk that seemed to house misc. junk. It was like your grampa's workshop without the smell or Old Spice and cigars. The best thing about the 'gift shop' was the $2 cold drinks.

Activities include feeding goats & sheep, taking a wagon ride, playing with old dirty toys, viewing old plaster nursery rhyme characters and taking pony rides.

This place is based on the old Enchanted Forest from the 40s/50s - and not much improvement has been done since. The OLD plaster attractions are scattered around the property - although several are just there for looks.

We went on a HOT Sunday... and the only place for cooling/shade was the main building, and a few scattered trees.

The "petting area" of the farm consisted or four goats and a bunny (in a cage). A couple of the goats looked underfed.

The 'pond' down toward the back of the property wasn't worth the walk, other than the shade provided by the woods that you have to transit to get there. The water in the pond was stagnant and gross, and the 'character' in the building was just pure creepy.

The 'cooling tent' was a joke and only had one small section that was actually providing a drizzle of mist, and the 'education building' had old farm equipment and posters that looked like a 7th grader made them for a science project. Not too exciting for an adult, and definitely not so for a youngster/

The 'kid play area' was dirty, and had old, beat-up toys from the late 70s/early 80s. Most kids seemed to bang around for less than 5 minutes and then depart. Our little one (2 yrs old), walked in and turned around and walked out. The one broken chair was quite indicative.

Three of the four slides at the farm were SO hot from being broiled in the sun that they were unusable.

The signs on 90% of all the animal displays are cheap paper signs stuck into document protectors. Those that weren't faded from the sun were blurred from the rain.

The 'restroom/bathroom' facilities are basically port-a-johns with a fence around them. Oh - and they're located centrally in the middle of the park.

There are several tents for picnics/birthday parties - but I kept thinking "WHY would you come here??!" After an hour, we were ready to go.....

The staff - well, I'd say half care/were helpful/were friendly; and the other half were disengaged. No staff were walking the grounds to see how customer/visitors were doing. Some were assisting with the pony rides, one was reading a book to kids in a tent - but the rest just seemed to be wandering around. At one point a staff on a lawn mower drove right through the main-side of the farm with kids waling around. Not sure where they were going, but it just seemed odd.

Would recommend: No
Would re-patronize: Probably not.

Visited July 2013
I have read and reread your review for over a year now. At the time you sent it, it was my first Trip Advisor review and I didn't know the protocol for responding. But you may want to know that it made a very big impression on me (the owner). I shared it with my staff as soon as I read it and used it to make some immediate changes (there is no excuse for broken chairs). I also used it when I made plans to make improvements over the winter. We now have very nice permanent metal signs with the animal information on them. I understand that the place is fine for some people but may never meet the standards of others, but it is important to me that it is as clean, safe, and enjoyable as it can be for all our visitors. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments with us.