“Terrible guide” 1 of 5 stars

Attraction Details
Baltimore, Maryland
“Terrible guide”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This tour sounded fun and my partner and I were excited to go on it - we really wanted to like it. I hate to be critical, but the tour on Friday 12th July 2013 was terrible. The success of a ghost tour hinges on the guide's personality, wit, enthusiasm and verbal delivery, to generate a "haunted" atmosphere. I liked our guide as a person - she seemed very nice - but she lacked all of those qualities necessary to generate any form of atmosphere or intrigue. It sounded like she had simply memorized a script, that she churned out without really putting any energy into it.

Halfway through the tour she told the group that she was tired. Maybe so, but we paid our hard-earned money to go on this tour, and we want to be entertained. Sorry, but I don't need to spend my Friday night listening to someone complain about what time they got up in the morning and what a busy job they have during the day.

At one point in the tour, we were told by the guide that "I must be the unluckiest tour guide - nothing spooky ever happens on my tours". Great. Maybe it's true, but does the group need to be told that??!

I could tell that the entire group was really bored mid-way through the tour. Although the guide was terrible, Ellicott City itself is a picturesque town to walk around and some of the locations on the ghost tour could have made for good ghost stories.

Visited July 2013
Shannon C, Web & Social Media Specialist at Ye Haunted History of Olde Ellicott City, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Jim, I'm really sorry you had a bad time on our tour. If you would be willing to call the welcome center at 410-313-1900 we would love to hear more about your experience and help rectify the issue.

clovis CA
10 attraction reviews
“A Wonderful Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I cant wait to return. This whole city amazed us...walking tours, railroad museum, and antique shops to die for!
Be sure to drive around side streets if you are in auto after this tour and create your own tour.

Visited July 2012
Federalsburg, Maryland
25 attraction reviews
“A spirited tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

We did this tour in late June, our guide for the evening was Paula and she was great! The guides dress in period clothing and carry a candle-lit lantern, which enhances the mood of the tour. We found Paula informative and engaging with her stories, many of personal experiences or those of close friends. Ellicott City is a beautiful and romantic town with sordid history and it is wonderfully highlighted on the tour. We had children in our group, so we did the standard tour, but will hopefully return for the Spirits of Ellicott City tour (pub crawl) or, as I am an avid reader, the literature tour. We want to see more! (No, we did not see anything paranormal, but it was a lovely tour with some wonderful and spooky stories).

Toronto, Canada
21 attraction reviews
“Interesting and fun!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

This was our first ghost tour so we really didn’t know what to expect. We arrived to the town (which is totally charming and cute) around 8pm and parked right behind the visitors center. We bought the tickets and while we waited for the tour to start we learned about the history of the region by reading some display panels they have there. About 15 minutes later a man dressed in antique clothing appeared outside holding an antique lantern. We joined the group of about 14 people and we started the tour. I don’t want to spoil any spooky stories so I will not go into a lot of detail but as you walk the streets of the old town your guide will tell you about the history of some of the buildings and some of the ghost stories associated with them. Unfortunately we did not have any first hand scary experiences but the town definitely feels spooky at night and learning about the town was very interesting. Be prepared to walk a bit of a long distance and be aware that you will be standing for long period of time. I must mention that in my group there was a person who was hearing impaired and they had a lady translating the stories for him using ASL (American Sign Language) and she was amazing. Both the tour guide and the translator did a great job. After attending the tour I would like to stay a few days in town and learn more about its history.

Visited September 2012
Thank you for your nice review of our ghost tour. I'm glad you had a good time and hope to see you in the future!
East Coast USA
6 attraction reviews
“Literary Pub Crawl”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The literary pub crawl is a close cousin to the haunted history tours of Ellicott City. Our hostess, dressed for the part, read passages from locals like Edgar Allan Poe, and H.L.Mencken as well as passers through like Daniel Boone. A great way to feel the heartbeat of the town while enjoying a drink at some of the local establishments including, Diamondback Tavern, Portatellis, The Rumour Mill and The Ellicott City Brewing Company. Make reservations ahead of time to be assured of a place. Not easily accessible at Ellicott City is an old historic town with lots of stairs and narrow thresholds. Howard County Tourism website has more information about these tours.

Visited June 2012