“Great Wedding Venue” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Elkton B&B and Inns
Elkton, Maryland
“Great Wedding Venue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

I got married at the Elk Forge B&B in October 2013. I got several compliments on the location and it made for some amazing pictures. My room was big enough for the whole bridal party to get ready together. The hot tub was fun and breakfast was great. The receptionist was also very helpful. My only complaint was the wedding corridinator. We had made an aggreement about what drinks would be served at the bar, but on my wedding day they were serving things that I didnt want and didnt have a specify drink that I asked for. She was also told not to serve strawberries on the salad becasue my mother in-law was allergic, but that instrution was not followed. I had dinner served buffet style. They ran out of food before everyone was able to get a plate and told my quests that they werent making any more food. This person is no longer working for them, so as long as they got a better wedding director things should go smoother. I also did not like that we never had a writen contract. Which would have been helpful to ensure that everything was done the way I asked. For the price we paid to have a wedding here I was very happy. All of my quests loved their rooms and the food. This place is perfect if your looking for a vintage or country theme.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Vineland, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We are glad that you offered such a nice New Years Eve setting. Because of circumstances, employment schedules, etc., believe it or not, Freda and I have never in 21 years, ever...gone out on New Years Eve. As I said to Harry, when Andrew sent out the announcement, I at once realized that this was the perfect opportunity for us to do so. We had stayed with you in the Surrey Suite in August, taking advantage of your birthday promotion. We wanted to come back, and this was the perfect time.

You did a fine job. The atmosphere was great with the Christmas decoration still up, and the meal was very good....no hoopla, no loud noises, no excessive drinking, as I have experienced long ago on New Years Eve. We enjoyed the Baltimore Room. I was just right for us for this occasion.

Room Tip: Review the website. They have a good description and several pictures.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Belcamp, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I want to thank the Elk Forge B&B for a wonderful weekend of relaxation! We went for an anniversary trip and also visited the Delaware Art Museum/ ate a restaurant near by(Matilda's) - Elk Forge is close to a lot of attractions. Breakfast was amazing, the room was beautiful (we stayed in the Strasburg Room) and Andrew was very nice and helpful! I highly recommend this place and will definitely be back soon!

Room Tip: Browse through the pictures and descriptions on their website. Even the least expensive rooms are be...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Mayetta, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Booked this place thru Living Social and didnt know what to expect from the reviews. The cons were...unmarked entrance with no light, came back from dinner fumbling in the dark. And yes, there were some dead bugs on the window sills...not a deal breaker but the owners should have addressed that issue from an earlier review. We were greeted by a lovely young lady and didnt see anyone until breakfast. I like that, We were in the Baltimore room , at the top of the stairs. It was beautifully decorated with luxury bedding and the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in.
Breakfast was delicious, a steak and egg casserole and maple bread pudding. We went to Chesapeake City, 15 minutes away, a charming little town with cute shops and waterfront dining.
We will definitely return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Clark, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

We chose Elk Lodge because we like the area. The inn is beautiful and tastefully decorated. Harry, Leann and Andrew were wonderful and very accommodating. My wife has an allergy and her dietary needs were taken care of. We stayed in the Brandywine Suite and it was wonderful. The mattress was very comfortable and the entire place was spotlessly clean. We also had great relaxing massages in the spa which was also spotless. When we are back in the area, we will most certainly return to Elk Lodge.
Dennis B.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Jarrettsville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We loved this place. It's beautiful and close to a lot of different attractions. The beds were comfortable and the place was clean. The breakfast was delicious and the staff was friendly & helpful. This was the second time we had been here and had no issues either time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Baltimore Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

1. The staircase to the Longwood Suite had an offensive odor. It remained during our stay.

2. The living room was not cozy and we did not use it much. The couch and the TV should be closer together. There was no light on the desk and the fireplace in that room did not work.

3. The suite was extremely cold when we arrived. It was 60 degrees. I turned off the air conditioner and put on the heat. We also turned on the fireplace in the bedroom to get the temperature to a reasonable 70 degrees.

4. When we arrived no one was at the desk. I called and a gentleman came and gave us a key and then took off rather quickly. We were not given much information about the house or any history. A young relative did give us some history the following morning. There was no packet in the suite about what was available in the area. We got info about the spa, but had no idea where it was.

5. Breakfast was average and buffet style. Nothing like what was advertised on the website. The only decaf coffee was instant. Other B & B's we have visited had better offerings and more attention to detail.

6. The main house had no ambiance. We did not meet the owners, I don't think. There was a women in the kitchen the second morning who spoke to us, but I don't know if she was a hired cook or part of the family. The gift shop was dark and dusty. It was hard to see anything in there.

7. We had a buy one night and get the second night free coupon from the Baltimore Sun. I would not have been happy if we would have paid full price.

8. On the positive side, the sheets and towels were very nice and soft. The jet tub was nice and worked well. I loved the conservatory. It was very well lit and was very comfortable. It rained while we were there so we did not get to be outside very much. I also appreciated having free WiFi. That was the only way we could find things to do and find restaurants nearby.

More could be done to make this place more homey and inviting. It would have been nice to meet the owners during our 2 day stay. I would not go back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Elk Forge B&B Inn, Retreat and Day Spa? Share your experiences!