“Great place for business travel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Elkridge
Rochester, New Hampshire
“Great place for business travel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I decided to write this review based on a particular incident that gave me a very positive feeling concerning this property. As far as the general property goes, it is an above-average Comfort Suites, quiet, comfortable and neat. It is in a convenient area, but in a odd location, an odd little 2 block drive of the main highway. I have stayed here several times for business in DC and have always found it very satisfactory.

On this occasion, I stayed here overnight while taking my mother from Georgia to New Hampshire for extensive medical treatment. She is 80 and does not travel. Being ill in addition to this made for an very uncomfortable journey. We ate the simple breakfast, and Kim, the breakfast attendant, went out of her way to make everyone in the room feel comfortable. She was especially kind to my mother, but she was great to everyone that rushed in for a simple cup of coffee. I was very impressed, and recommend this place to anyone traveling in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Mecklenburg County, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

This is one of the top 10 hotels I have ever stayed in. Why? It really is a suite. The sleeping area is truly separate from the living area (there are two TVs in the room). I wish there had been places like this when my kids were little, so adults could comfortably stay up with the lights on in another part of the room. It is about 5 miles to the nearest grocery store (if you want to eat in your room after a long travel day).

Caldwell, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We're not very picky, but just can't give a thumbs up for this one... We stayed there in August 2013 for one night. Long drive, ordered some food delivered, left in the morning.

The person behind the counter was very polite. Aside from being told it was one room, then noticing that we had keys for a different room when we got there (because they did not work), and then having to call to get our phone unlocked to dial a toll-free number, everything else with check-in went fine. No line at the counter. Parking was fine, parked just off to the side from the front area. When we checked-out, the person behind the counter was very polite then as well, we only spent about 3 seconds at the counter on our way out - no charges beyond the under-the-door printout.

The breakfast was fine, it was re-stocked often. Only comment would be that the person handling everything was probably too involved, literally cutting people off to refill things rather than waiting for them to get it and move out of the way. Perfectly nice though, just a little too helpful if that's a thing. If you're not a morning person, that's going to be irritating. I would not even take a star off for that, just an observation.

The real issue was the room and it's lack of maintenance. As we entered the room we were greeted by the smell of whatever food the previous guest nuked in the microwave. Really spice-heavy food that lingered for a long time. There was a really, really lazy wallpaper patch that gives you the feel of a long-ignored hotel. A stain on the carpet that looked like someone took a dump there. The curved shower rod (love those) was installed incorrectly causing the curtain to fall down to the middle. There was visible mold around the tub. With the A/C on and TV turned up loud, you can still hear and feel neighbors slamming their door. The bed had 5 square throw pillows - that's it, no extras in the closet. The kicker though - the A/C filter could not have possibly been cleaned _ever_. It absolutely REAKED in there of mold/mildew. ...which we did not notice until we actually moved in to the bedroom area. You get used to it after a bit and don't notice the smell too much, but then you'll probably have respiratory issues for a few days after that. That, combined with an uncomfortable bed - and this is coming from a person that can sleep pretty much anywhere. My wife and I had probably the worst night's sleep we've had in a decade or two.

Having said all of that - the staff is polite, the lobby was in good shape, they were setting up for a birthday party and it was still not messy or anything. Other than the elderly couple that just sat there at the pool for at least 4 hours (stopped checking), that area seemed fine [ started to wonder about their health, but saw movement ]. The room's size was fine - one long line type of layout vs a double-width type of room. The fact that there was an LCD/Plasma flat panel in the front with an HDMI plug was useful (for Netflix on my smart phone), though the old CRT in the bedroom was less than impressive. In 99% of hotels, the shower head is too low for me, but it was actually high enough here.

From so many good reviews I expected much more, but will probably stay elsewhere next time we're there visiting family. We have stayed at just about every hotel within 10-15 minutes of this area at least once.

Room Tip: The room service is one of those companies that takes the phone call, then hands it off to a local r...
Glastonbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed one night at this property. Because we are Platinum Choice Hotel travelers, we were upgraded to a King Suite. I'm only sorry we weren't staying longer. The room had two sofas, two flat screen HD tvs, a cute fake fireplace and a huge jacuzzi tub. the bathroom vanity was granite and the furniture was of a quality I wouldn't mind having in my home. The only criticism was that amidst all this splendor, the shower was not up to the level of the rest of the room (small issue.) The king bed was super comfortable.

The desk clerk was completely professional and friendly. When I inquired about restaurants, she said we could order in (they have a third party service to deliver a wide variety of food) or pick from a variety of restaurants about 10 minutes away. She then gave me written directions to the restaurant area, as we wanted to go out to eat.

They have a 24 hour fitness center, a business center, and a pool open until 10pm.

The breakfast had eggs, sausage and ham, along with the usual waffles, cereal, fruit, bagels, pastries, etc, and several comfy upholstered chairs and a coach for those who wanted to relax with the paper or to watch the TV.

Overall a great stay. Oh, the room cost $71.10 + tax. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Our room faced a busy road, but we couldn't hear a thing. Any room is fine.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

The whole family was very pleased with this Comfort Suites. It was a huge room for a low price. Best deal around. My 9 year old son said it was the best place we ever stayed!

I did not expect to have such a large suite with a separate but connected room with a fold out couch and TV. It worked out perfectly for my son who is an early riser. He didn't disturb the rest of us watching the TV.

We stayed here for two nights while attending baseball games in both Baltimore and DC. It is in the perfect location. It is a little tricky to find but worth it. We passed the road that it is off of the first time. It is tucked away down a dead end road. Even though it was pretty much along two main highways, it was still very quiet.

Breakfast was great. There was a large selection of food and my kids loved the waffles. There was a lady who worked the breakfast area both mornings that was very nice and very talkative. She was very attentive to everyone's needs.

The only thing that wasn't a huge issue was the sour smell that came from the laundry room next to the elevator on our floor. It was as if the floor or something got wet, didn't dry properly, then someone tried to cover it up with febreze. It actually was pretty nasty smelling so I just kind of covered my nose while waiting for the elevator. They might want to look into getting whatever is causing the odor professionally cleaned. This in no way made my stay less enjoyable, it was just an observation.

We also had a small problem finding a parking space after a late baseball game. We arrived at the hotel around 11pm and had to force our car into a spot up next to a work truck that was parked sideways taking up about 5-6 spaces. There was also another truck on the next row that did the same thing. Had they parked out along the road as they should have, parking would not have been an issue. Just keep this in mind if you are arriving late.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the Baltimore/DC area.

Mount Union, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Staff friendly and knowledgeable!! Rooms clean, cleaning staff accommodating, pool great for the kids indoors if raining and at night, close to Inner Harbor and DC, Wal-Mart 15 mins or less away, McD close less than a min or two. We had a Dbl Queen suite, awesome and 2 TV's was Great Grands slept in that room on air mattress, loved it and they kept their tv on all nigh, how they like it!!! Def a keeper of a hotel in my opinion and would stay again!!!!!

Room Tip: Ours was quiet 319, , so not sure what to say. 1st floor is where the ice machine is, if that makes...
Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

The location of this hotel is perfect for visiting both Washington D.C. and Baltimore, MD. Room pricing was reasonable and the free breakfast that is offered is great! The staff was so accommodating and helpful and the room was nice and clean. Great place to stay!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Comfort Suites Columbia Gateway? Share your experiences!