“Creative menu with excellent results!” 5 of 5 stars

(410) 379-9336
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Elkridge Furnance Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 53 restaurants in Elkridge
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Columbia, Maryland
“Creative menu with excellent results!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We went for the first time this past Saturday night and were thrilled with our experience. The menu was interesting and creative and not the usual run-of-the mill items seen at most restaurants. We tried the Bacon Salad which was delicious with pickled beets, shaved fennel and a tasty beer mustard vinaigrette. My husband had the rabbit which was wrapped in bacon with a red pepper sauce and a sherry vinegar reduction. He was very pleased with his selection. I had the vegetarian ravioli with the sage pecan brown butter sauce. It was very tasty but quite rich. For dessert we split the chocolate caramel cake which was a perfect way to end the evening! There was a layer of chewy bacon in the cake and had homemade dark chocolate and caramel sauce which was scrumptious. The service was excellent as well. We definitely plan to return with the rest of our family!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

81% Recommend
Rockville, Maryland
“Excellent food in historic setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We celebrated my (Sylvia's) birthday at this restaurant. It was October and the menu had delicious seasonal choices. The sauce with my pork loin chop had candied pecans and was perfectly prepared. I was amazed to learn that the building was from colonial days and was renovated by the current proprietors about 20 years ago. My husband had the Supreme de Poulet and enjoyed it immensely. The apple caramel cheesecake was a delicious ending to the meal. We plan to return soon.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chesterfield, NJ
“Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

We had a group dinner at this restaurant and had a terrific experience. The food was of excellent quality throughout the group and the service was fantastic and highly attentive. The restaurant had a very nice ambiance and was very near to Baltimore and BWI.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ellicott City
“Bravo!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I never write reviews but felt compelled to take a few minutes to let others know about our positive experience.

We had the Elkridge Furnace Inn cater our rehearsal dinner and we could not be happier. All of our guests were from out of state and we wanted to treat them to something unique to Maryland - which meant crab cakes. We also had beef sirloin tips and a vegetarian pasta dish with chicken on the side to give guests the option of meat in the pasta, homemade guacamole, salsa and salad with fresh ingredients from their garden for starters. Our guests raved about the food and there was not a single crab cake left.

We contacted the restaurant a few weeks before the dinner and to our surprise they met with us that day. From beginning to end it was a pleasure working with the assistant general manager, Matthew Balan. He and Chef Wecker were very receptive to menu changes and everything went smoothly. It was during the wedding planning that I learned that the groom is responsible for the rehearsal dinner (no pressure there) and I wanted everything to go well. The food was a crucial part of the equation. The Elkridge Furnace Inn delivered the goods (at a reasonable price) and helped make the evening a great success.

• Visited August 2012
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
“Satisfied....an arm, a leg, and two ears later”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

What is it about French cuisine that it has to be so darn pricey? Not only that, but why in the heck do French food-loving types insist on keeping the bones in the meat dishes while making it incredibly arduous and awkward for the customer to remove all of the meat from the bones? I cannot tell you how many times I just wanted to lift the piece of quail off my plate to nibble the meat off of the bones!!! Hehe.

If you haven't already guessed, Elkridge Furnace Inn serves French cuisine...at extremely high prices. Oh, but there is so much more...

First, the grounds are indeed beautiful, but they are difficult to examine at night. Equally difficult is the process of finding a parking spot. Perhaps it was the wedding reception taking place next door, but my wife and I parked several hundred feet from the actual restaurant due to the number of cars in the gravel/dirt parking lot.

Second, the staff is, shall we say, chatty. Our waiter was on the reserved and refined side, but the owner, his wife, and the lead host were super sociable. We probably spent more time speaking with them than we did with each other. Don't worry; they are pleasant, friendly people, but it became a little overbearing at times.

Third, the menu selection is pretty limited. Only one option I remember for the veggie lovers. I found several items I could enjoy, but they were all meat dishes.

Fourth, the prices are...yikes. Yes, you are receiving a delicious, sophisticated meal, but I was surprised at the end result. My wife and I used a Restaurant.com gift certificate, and we still paid over $100 for our meals.

Fifth and finally, the food is satisfying. It is nice that they recommend a wine pairing for each of the dishes, and the chef is spot on with his recommendations. I had the mixed grill, a "stacked caesar salad", and the ice cream special (coconut ice cream bar); my wife had the chicken, the caprese salad, and the chocolate peanut butter bomb. The only dish that received anything but rave reviews from us was my wife's chicken. The meat was tender and moist, but the flavors of the pasta were overpowering. Too much olive. The caesar salad is a strange setup, but I enjoyed the combination of flavors when I was able to mix them together.

Definitely a place to visit once, but I could not justify a return to the finer side of Elkridge, Maryland.

Oh, and since when do fine dining establishments leave sugar packets on the table...?

• Visited September 2012